Blue Wildebeest Slaughtered Weight

NicoS

Reaction score
Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?

Hi Nico,

Last week on a different forum, one of the hunters just completed a hunt where 3 bulls were hunted. Slaughtered weights were 154, 162 and 176, but on average he reckons between 145 and 155. With the good rains I think some big bodied, heavy bulls will be taken this season.

The average live weight is 168 kg. to 274 kg.

Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?

Name Blue wildebeest

Scientific Name Connochaetes taurinus

Average Weight Male 250 kg :)

Average Weight Female 180 kg

Shoulder Height Male 150 cm

Shoulder Height Female 135 cm

Mating Season March, April and May ;)

I hope that this helps:)

"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58 % for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.

Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.

Last edited:
"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58% for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.

Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.

Excellent Brickburn

I guess I look at it differently, Capehunter has harvested quite a few Blue wildebeest that would make most of us drool. Big bodies and awesome horns, I love the pictures he has. I think you have been blessed to have this (Biltong hunting) as a career. Good luck to you, and in my opinion regardless of weight/average weight, a wildebeest on the ground is as good as gold, brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg