Blue Wildebeest Slaughtered Weight

NicoS

Reaction score
Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?

CapeHunter

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Cape Hunt.
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi Nico,

Last week on a different forum, one of the hunters just completed a hunt where 3 bulls were hunted. Slaughtered weights were 154, 162 and 176, but on average he reckons between 145 and 155. With the good rains I think some big bodied, heavy bulls will be taken this season.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
The average live weight is 168 kg. to 274 kg.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?

Name Blue wildebeest

Scientific Name Connochaetes taurinus

Average Weight Male 250 kg :)

Average Weight Female 180 kg

Shoulder Height Male 150 cm

Shoulder Height Female 135 cm

Mating Season March, April and May ;)

I hope that this helps:)

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58 % for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.

Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.

Last edited:

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58% for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.

Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.

Excellent Brickburn

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
I guess I look at it differently, Capehunter has harvested quite a few Blue wildebeest that would make most of us drool. Big bodies and awesome horns, I love the pictures he has. I think you have been blessed to have this (Biltong hunting) as a career. Good luck to you, and in my opinion regardless of weight/average weight, a wildebeest on the ground is as good as gold, brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmparoDomi

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?