Blue Wildebeest Slaughtered Weight

NicoS

Reaction score
Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?

CapeHunter

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Cape Hunt.
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hi Nico,

Last week on a different forum, one of the hunters just completed a hunt where 3 bulls were hunted. Slaughtered weights were 154, 162 and 176, but on average he reckons between 145 and 155. With the good rains I think some big bodied, heavy bulls will be taken this season.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
The average live weight is 168 kg. to 274 kg.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Just got back from my annual hunt in the Vaalwater area in Limpopo and shot a Blue Wildebeest cow. As I am a biltong hunter and don't care much for trophies I am more concerned about the amount of meat I can get out of an animal She weighed 95,5 kg at the butcher where I have my biltong and dry wors processed. Now my question is what is a average slaughtered weight for a Blue Wildebeest bull?

Name Blue wildebeest

Scientific Name Connochaetes taurinus

Average Weight Male 250 kg :)

Average Weight Female 180 kg

Shoulder Height Male 150 cm

Shoulder Height Female 135 cm

Mating Season March, April and May ;)

I hope that this helps:)

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58 % for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.

Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.

Last edited:

Odinsraven

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Membe,Icelandic Hunting Club SKOTVIS , BASC (UK) Countryside Alliance (UK)r
Hunted
UK ,Ireland, Bulgaria,Iceland,Czech Republic
"A Hunter's Handbook" says that slaughter percentage of 58% for Wildebeest. The highest of all the African game.
125 to 145 carcass weight on average.

Buffalo are at 50% slaughter weight, because when you gut them and you get rid of all that extra crankiness they carry around.

Excellent Brickburn

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
I guess I look at it differently, Capehunter has harvested quite a few Blue wildebeest that would make most of us drool. Big bodies and awesome horns, I love the pictures he has. I think you have been blessed to have this (Biltong hunting) as a career. Good luck to you, and in my opinion regardless of weight/average weight, a wildebeest on the ground is as good as gold, brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urocchhgf

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.