Blaser Rifles

I recommend the optional HIVIZ sights offered by Blaser. They are much better, especially in poorer light. I have swapped all of mine out.
I saw ones like these when I was at Euro Optic and they are very nice.
Just wasn't sure it was worth the extra $, but at this point I might as well fix everything with my wallet.
Fluchtvisierung_01.jpg

Attachments

• Fluchtvisierung_01.jpg
    Fluchtvisierung_01.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 432
Just wasn't sure it was worth the extra $, but at this point I might as well fix everything with my wallet.
Fluchtvisierung_01.jpg
I don't know. The standard sight is just about bomb proof and easier to see and use than any other factory installed open sight of which I am aware. I am sure the Blaser model is superb, but I once had a little plastic rod launch from a pistol and one on a rifle decided to stay in the gun case periodically when I pulled the rifle out (it was often cold outside ;)).

Thanks, Red Leg. To confirm, open sights is the same as iron sights, or open sights means no sights?

https://www.scopelist.com/blaser-r8-standard-barrel-375-h-h-mag.aspx
No. This is what I think is the ideal .375 barrel on a R8. To create a heavier rifle, others prefer the same basic configuration in the heavier semi-weight profile. And yes, I tend to use "iron" and "open" sights interchangeably.

https://www.eurooptic.com/blaser-r8-standard-barrel-375-blaser-with-sights-no-magazine.aspx

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.00.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.00.17 AM.png
    422.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.00.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.00.20 AM.png
    366.7 KB · Views: 164
  • Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.00.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.00.22 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
I don't know. The standard sight is just about bomb proof and easier to see and use than any other factory installed open sight of which I am aware. I am sure the Blaser model is superb, but I once had a little plastic rod launch from a pistol and one on a rifle decided to stay in the gun case periodically when I pulled the rifle out (it was often cold outside ;)).

I really like the R8 open sights as well....however, the ones on this Merkel RX Helix I just picked up are even better, IMO. I’m a open sights guy and these Merkel sights are the best I’ve seen. If you get a chance to try them out I think you’ll like them.

Fluchtvisierung_01.jpg

My dad always says, “nothing money won’t cure” ;)

These look to be similar to the ones on the RX Helix. The rear site is a bit different layout, though designed to do the same kind of quick pickup as you shoulder the rifle. Both are going to be excellent in the field is my guess.

Just read an article in the SCI Safari Magazine about a guy using a camp rifle because his ammo didn't show up.
The rifle...you guessed it a Blaser R8 in 375H&H and well worn from the pictures I saw.
Who says a Blaser can't be a "camp" rifle?
And topped with Zeiss glass!!!

Gentleman - I'm about to add a 375 HH barrel and will use it for Cape buffalo and bear. I've never hunted either species and was curious if you all recommended having iron sights on the barrel. As I recall, the consensus among the group is to buy the lighter weight shorter barrel. I plan to use a 1x6 Leupold Fire dot as the optics. Thanks as always for the advice.
I opted for no sights on my .375 Ruger barrel but others may like having sights as a backup.

Just read an article in the SCI Safari Magazine about a guy using a camp rifle because his ammo didn't show up.
The rifle...you guessed it a Blaser R8 in 375H&H and well worn from the pictures I saw.
Who says a Blaser can't be a "camp" rifle?
And topped with Zeiss glass!!!

Were I hunted the camp rifle is now an R8 topped with Leica glass. Blaser has a program for outfitters to use their guns - excellent marketing.

Were I hunted the camp rifle is now an R8 topped with Leica glass. Blaser has a program for outfitters to use their guns - excellent marketing.
Appreciate the info and yes very smart for Blaser to do something like this.
I'm going to let my African outfitter know about this program.
I know they are going to SCI and DSC so they will have a chance to talk with them.

Do you know how the program works?

. . . Do you know how the program works?

No I don't. I know you get to use Blaser available here logo in your advertisements and they have a second program - Blaser Lodges.

The place I hunted was a Leica Lodge, but I understand that Leica Germany discontinued that program.

If it is like Beretta, which has shotguns scattered around all of the top shooting club/quail plantations, etc - contact Blaser and ask about outfitter programs. Don't know if they loan guns in such a program, but worth trying.

Gents - I have the .375 H&H barrel, and am a little surprised at how difficult it is to find cleaning kits. I've only found jags and brushes at Dewey Rods. Where do you all get your cleaning kits? Thanks.

Gents - I have the .375 H&H barrel, and am a little surprised at how difficult it is to find cleaning kits. I've only found jags and brushes at Dewey Rods. Where do you all get your cleaning kits? Thanks.
MidwayUSA as well.
Type "375 brush" into the search and you will find them.
Right around $6 each for the nylon ones.

On my annual pilgrimage to thr country of Texas I got my hands on an 8 and cut loose hundreds of 308 rounds through it.

My opinion is a big thumbs up on this fancy-smancy extremely expensive (20k ÷) that had wood on it that I had no idea what it was other than beautiful.

Through design. The shooter is compelled to work the action like all bolt guns are meant to be used ....... strong and fast.

It was excitingly accurat as well as smooth and is as fast to cycle as some here claim it to be. The Carl Z glass was crisp and repeatable.

I would have loved to take a few pokes with it in the 500 Schuler, but that didn't happen.

This rifle was bought by the guy I know for his wife half his age which is probably why it's so prettied up. While he was away on business she " R- U-N-D-O-F-T" and the gun was in the safe......or she would have gotten that too.

Great rifle........just too nice for me.

The guy you know got the better deal. The one who RUNDOF never performed as promised while the 8 will always do what one wants, when one wants, and how one wants and will still be beautiful in 20 years.

I am convinced that the R8 is the best repeater currently in production anywhere by anyone (and I own a few others). Mine shoots MOA with nearly anything I feed it, and in it’s .375 guise has taken everything from Suni to Cape Buffalo. It’s design is a tour de force of ergonomic brilliance - perfect form following perfect function.

This is my view and experience as well. I have used my R8 with a .375 barrel for both DG and PG. I have several other barrels for my R8 receivers and every combination shoots great. I also like being able to use a longer barrel compared to a conventional bolt action.

How do you find that stock shape?
It looks fine, I would think it would work ok.
Are you meaning the rear of the stock or the fact it’s a full piece stock?
Just curiosity is all

I knew I read that somewhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.