Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?

The Blaser R8 is a fantastic rifle platform ( I’ve used one in 7 mm Remington Magnum ) and ( in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Remington Magnum, .458 Lott and .500 Jeffery ) quite suited for hunting dangerous game. I do know an African white hunter who uses one in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum. But his main backup rifle is a Merkel Model 140AE boxlock ejector double rifle in .500 Nitro Express ( 3 “ ), which is regulated for Barnes 570 Gr TSX soft points and Barnes 570 Gr Banded Solids.

To answer your original question, there are broadly three reasons:
1) These rifles are expensive ( but then again, you get what you pay for ) compared to a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express or a ( now discontinued ) CZ 550.
2) A lot of people have still slung on to the uninformed 1980s mentality that anything which isn’t a full control round feed action is disastrous for hunting dangerous game ( a notion which originated from the beastly post ‘64 push feed Winchester Model 70s and the big bore Remington Model 700s )
3) African laws make owning/importing new firearms not as easy as one thinks.

By the way, if you take a look at this link … It would appear that Safari Outdoor now lists Blaser rifles in several big bore calibers.

Clearly, the Blaser R8 is catching on and catching on fast.

If i didn't respond prior... :p lol I do not subscribe to advertising, pressure sales, et. al. I like owning quality gunS that perform specific duties (not one of those pickup trucks that becomes a convertible or SUV by flipping a few handles.) :p lol smh "Why ask why?" (esp. when this post originated 2 yrs ago!)

In the same vein as C.W. Richter's comment re. challenging a bit things...

I am amused that just because NWT decided to title his thread "Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?" folks automatically assume that he speaks God's revealed truth.
:S Kneel:

Allow me to laugh at this assumption :E Rofl:

I do not know about Alaskan Bear Guides, so I won't say, but I noted once that before he was paid to carry a Nosler rifle Jim Shockey hunted with a R8, and I even spied it in the bakkie's rack in one relatively recent episode when he hunted Buffalo with the muzzleloader he was then paid to use ;):ROFLMAO:

But I do know a few African PHs and I can tell you that most do not CHOOSE not to use a Blaser R8, they simply cannot afford it, or more accurately, its advantages are simply not worth their money. Period. End of discussion.
:V Bangin:

This is something that I really understand, because I personally struggled with the R8 price myself, and only decided that it was worth my money because I am a TRAVELING HUNTER WHO WANTS TO PACK 3 CALIBERS TO AFRICA IN A GUN CASE THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MAXIMUM 62" LINEAR DIMENSION AND MAXIMUM 50 LBS. WEIGHT AIRLINES REQUIREMENTS.
:S Beat Dead Horse:

Admittedly, THIS is NOT a critical requirement for most African PHs and Alaskan Bear Guides, hence it is not worth their money. Again, period, end of discussion.

Sure, some PHs and Guides probably have strong feelings against the R8 due to the usual (no CRF, a lot of plastic, etc. etc.) - like some still mourn the Colt 1911 as standard issue and poopoo the Glock - but I suspect that these folks make a very limited percentage of those African PHs and Alaskan Bear Guides who just believe - rightly I might add - that a $1,500 debugged Winchester 70 or CZ 550 in .375 or .458 is all the tool they need to back their clients, and see no earthly need to spend more :E Shrug:

And yes, some outfitters/owners/PHs can afford the R8, and by the way one sees them more and more as rifle for hire in Africa, with Zeiss or Swaro glass in general, but the vast majority of young, or not so young, PHs simply do not earn enough from hunting for a R8 to be on the shopping list, and a Toyota Landcruiser ranks much higher. Something that I understand quite well (y):)

It is like arguing that because most African PHs or Alaskan Guides do not drive in town with a BMW or Mercedes coupe, it must mean that Beemers and Benz are pieces of crap. Laughable...
:A Gathering:

Last edited:
The brass was shot exclusively in that rifle when the rounds were new. Fired once only. I have three other barrels for which I reload, they all accept reloads like champs. I believe the chamber is tight all the way around, it doesn't take much.
I appreciate all the good intentions everyone has shown. I've been reloading for over 40 years, I reloaded for competition, for hunting and for plinking. It isn't a new game to me. I follow all the necessary steps to have an easy to chamber round. I do not just neck size for hunting unless it's a once fired case, lightly fire formed in a bolt action. For the blaser, everything is full length resized. Case dimmensions are monitored, measured, etc...My thinking is that it's a tight chamber and the chambering of the bullet raises it a bit when pushed from the bolt which can get it stuck if I go too fast. This does not happen with the other barrels using the same set up.
Thanks again for the good intentions.
I have been reloading myself for a while, not as long as you. That said I'm always open to suggestions. I personally full length resize every time, I anneal every time, I trim and chamfer every time. My thought process is I want the brass in the same condition every time. I also believe I can't stay static or I get left behind.

I was asking about the round because if it is a belted case or a resizing die that is 40 years old we might have some different things to look for. Like a 308 some companies make small base dies to feed in autos. I have had dies in the past that had to be trimmed so that I could properly resize the brass (base and lenght).

I have been reloading myself for a while, not as long as you. That said I'm always open to suggestions. I personally full length resize every time, I anneal every time, I trim and chamfer every time. My thought process is I want the brass in the same condition every time. I also believe I can't stay static or I get left behind.

I was asking about the round because if it is a belted case or a resizing die that is 40 years old we might have some different things to look for. Like a 308 some companies make small base dies to feed in autos. I have had dies in the past that had to be trimmed so that I could properly resize the brass (base and lenght).
That's quite interesting. These are older dies.
As far as anealing every single time, you don't have to do it. Several of the other steps that you take are for competition and should not be necessary to chamber a round normally.
Thank you for the insightful comment.

Interesting, how this thread has become an advertising for the R8!

The only reason left, why....

African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8​

......because some can not afford!

The Heym company has realized that, and offers it's "Professional Double Rifle" with a special price for Hunters with a professional licence.

HWL

Last edited:
Heym's PH version is still (way) more expensive than the Blaser R8 (pricelist without discount) so this is not a reasonable argument.

Heym's PH version is still (way) more expensive than the Blaser R8 (pricelist without discount) so this is not a reasonable argument.
And it is way more gun than an R8 for certain applications for a PH...

For those who can decide which of them they'll pick price is not the reason. How many will that be? 20% of all PH's or even less?
Heym's 89 DR PH version: 13500,-€
Blaser R8 Profession Hunter (.416 rem, mag.): 6785,-€, both including 19% VAT.

If this is just a case of a tight but in spec chamber, I am not certain why the headline condemns R8 generally. I've never had anyone in industry, outside these forums, argue against the R8. Some have said I paid too much. I do laugh when the people with the custom Mausers (which I also own) that cost far more, tells me the R8 cost too much. The trick of the R8 is not that it is a Lego gun (that part can be handy). It's that I don't need to wait two years and get a trigger job, rebarrel, magazine tweak, scope mounts, etc. They work and they work very well without mods, and can do almost anything a long gun should do, other than be a double.

For those who can decide which of them they'll pick price is not the reason. How many will that be? 20% of all PH's or even less?
Heym's 89 DR PH version: 13500,-€
Blaser R8 Profession Hunter (.416 rem, mag.): 6785,-€, both including 19% VAT.
clearly you do not know what they use in the field..

ZKK Brno old school PH rifle from US 1000....

Doubles are either Heym or Krieghoff....when you do a lot of DG hunting and a double is your chosen platform Hyem is the answers.....these guys can also afford the Heym that 80 % cannot

I know of one who has a R8 with some exchange barrels....mostly for client use and not as primary PH back up rifle....

In the same vein as C.W. Richter's comment re. challenging a bit things...

I am amused that just because NWT decided to title his thread "Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?" folks automatically assume that he speaks God's revealed truth.
:S Kneel:

Allow me to laugh at this assumption :E Rofl:

I do not know about Alaskan Bear Guides, so I won't say, but I noted once that before he was paid to carry a Nosler rifle Jim Shockey hunted with a R8, and I even spied it in the bakkie's rack in one relatively recent episode when he hunted Buffalo with the muzzleloader he was then paid to use ;):ROFLMAO:

But I do know a few African PHs and I can tell you that most do not CHOOSE not to use a Blaser R8, they simply cannot afford it, or more accurately, its advantages are simply not worth their money. Period. End of discussion.

This is something that I really understand, because I personally struggled with the R8 price myself, and only decided that it was worth my money because I am a TRAVELING HUNTER WHO WANTS TO PACK 3 CALIBERS TO AFRICA IN A GUN CASE THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MAXIMUM 62" LINEAR DIMENSION AND MAXIMUM 50 LBS. WEIGHT AIRLINES REQUIREMENTS.
:S Beat Dead Horse:

Admittedly, THIS is NOT a critical requirement for most African PHs and Alaskan Bear Guides, hence it is not worth their money. Again, period, end of discussion.

Sure, some PHs and Guides probably have strong feelings against the R8 due to the usual (no CRF, a lot of plastic, etc. etc.) - like some still mourn the Colt 1911 as standard issue and poopoo the Glock - but I suspect that these folks make a very limited percentage of those African PHs and Alaskan Bear Guides who just believe - rightly I might add - that a $1,500 debugged Winchester 70 or CZ 550 in .375 or .458 is all the tool they need to back their clients, and see no earthly need to spend more :E Shrug:

And yes, some outfitters/owners/PHs can afford the R8, and by the way one sees them more and more as rifle for hire in Africa, with Zeiss or Swaro glass in general, but the vast majority of young, or not so young, PHs simply do not earn enough from hunting for a R8 to be on the shopping list, and a Toyota Landcruiser ranks much higher. Something that I understand quite well (y):)

It is like arguing that because most African PHs or Alaskan Guides do not drive in town with a BMW or Mercedes coupe, it must mean that Beemers and Benz are pieces of crap. Laughable...
:A Gathering:
Well said. There's nothing about an R8 that appeals to me including the cost. I don't like the way they look, the action or the Lego aspect of them. However, by all accounts they're superb rifles. They're just not my cup of tea.

Well said. There's nothing about an R8 that appeals to me including the cost. I don't like the way they look, the action or the Lego aspect of them. However, by all accounts they're superb rifles. They're just not my cup of tea.
My recommendation is to never shoot an R8 then. Once I did, my opinions started changing quickly. I was desperate not to give that much money to Ze Germans but I finally went to the dark side and now own two. Perhaps it's the mark of the beast but boy I sure shoot well with them.

If you don't want to own an R8. Don't shoot one!

That's quite interesting. These are older dies.
As far as anealing every single time, you don't have to do it. Several of the other steps that you take are for competition and should not be necessary to chamber a round normally.
Thank you for the insightful comment.
Correct, you don't. I'm running single digit SDs in most of my rifles. Neck tension is a very important factor to make that happen.

My recommendation is to never shoot an R8 then. Once I did, my opinions started changing quickly. I was desperate not to give that much money to Ze Germans but I finally went to the dark side and now own two. Perhaps it's the mark of the beast but boy I sure shoot well with them.

If you don't want to own an R8. Don't shoot one!
No problem. Like I said, there's nothing about an R8 that appeals to me no matter how well they shoot or how well they're made. The reasons the R8 doesn't appeal to me are 100% subjective. I readily acknowledge they're fine rifles and there are a lot of very happy R8 owners. I just won't ever be one of them and money isn't the reason. It's a reason because I don't think the premium is worth it but, again, that's subjective. I actually looked at a couple but after handling them they seemed cheap to me. I'm not saying they're cheap rifles. I just don't like their aesthetic and feel. The light weight doesn't help. I like my rifles to have a little heft but that's a personal choice. Enjoy your R8. I'm sincerely glad you're happy with your purchase. What puzzles me most about the R8 phenomenon is why some R8 owners can't get their head around the idea that not everyone else is as enamored with the R8 as they are. We all have different likes and dislikes and I, for purely subjective reasons, don't care for R8 rifles. I think they're weird.

No problem. Like I said, there's nothing about an R8 that appeals to me no matter how well they shoot or how well they're made. The reasons the R8 doesn't appeal to me are 100% subjective. I readily acknowledge they're fine rifles and there are a lot of very happy R8 owners. I just won't ever be one of them and money isn't the reason. It's a reason because I don't think the premium is worth it but, again, that's subjective. I actually looked at a couple but after handling them they seemed cheap to me. I'm not saying they're cheap rifles. I just don't like their aesthetic and feel. The light weight doesn't help. I like my rifles to have a little heft but that's a personal choice. Enjoy your R8. I'm sincerely glad you're happy with your purchase. What puzzles me most about the R8 phenomenon is why some R8 owners can't get their head around the idea that not everyone else is as enamored with the R8 as they are. We all have different likes and dislikes and I, for purely subjective reasons, don't care for R8 rifles. I think they're weird.
I get it. I commented because I shared your exact same opinion. Then I shot one that belonged to a friend, and down the rabbit hole I went.

I think what frustrates most R8 owners is that the most outspoken critics of the rifle, like the originator of this thread, have never held, fired, or likely even seen an actual R8. They have allegedly heard or read someone say something negative, and have assumed it must be the truth. Please note our OP didn't really ask a question, but instead made a negative assertion about the rifle's lack of suitability for DG.

The other usual critic owns a CeeZeeRemwinburg and demands validation that it is "just as good" as a R8.

This is a unique forum because it counts among its members quite a few actual R8 owners who have extensive experience with the rifle. That experience often includes dangerous game. Should it be surprise that such assertions generate informed responses?

I am fortunate to own and hunt with a large number of rifles. I love just about all of them. I was in Zambia in August with a Rigby; I shot my last two whitetail with a custom Bradshaw and an Al Lind; and I'll likely bring either my Craig Libhart .404 or William Douglas & Son .470 on my next buffalo hunt. But my "best", most consistently accurate, most practical, and easily transportable rifle is my R8 - by a significant margin.

I should also note, in synthetic guise, it is my "beater" rifle. It is impervious to almost anything.

I will not argue the aesthetics point. I think they can be a quite handsome rifle, but as you correctly note that is opinion. One of mine in its "classic sporter" stock. But aesthetically pleasing or not, it is simply superb.

R8 Gun Case

I get it. I commented because I shared your exact same opinion. Then I shot one that belonged to a friend, and down the rabbit hole I went.

I have actually touched one.. :E Horrified: ....only with one hand as the client asked me to hold it while he was occupied doing something else....but I am safe as have no desire to shoot one...even holding it I didn't like the feel...so I am totally safe from the dark side or dodgy rabbit holes :E Big Grin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolkKnives

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.