Blaser R8 v Sauer 404

Google maps would disagree with you.
We are both right.
They are on the same campus or facility, however are in different buildings.
Buildings that are "side by side" one might even say.
Just a couple of minutes walk away.

We are both right.
They are on the same campus or facility, however are in different buildings.
Buildings that are "side by side" one might even say.
Just a couple of minutes walk away.

They both shoot accurately and would bet they share common barrel manufacturing facilities seeing as they are owned by the same company. My Mauser M12 is also very accurate and would again bet, as they also own Mauser, that all three share the same barrel plant, plants if their volume on all three is high enough. Wouldn’t be surprised if they share a common facility for the actions as well, just differing lines. Stocks, small parts, and final assembly may be in differing locations, but for the forged/machined parts it would make sense they share facilities to control costs, factories aren’t cheap to run.

Personally, I’ve been toying with the idea of a Sauer 404 in .375H&H as a second rifle for backup and practice versus a Sako 85, so this thread is naturally of great interest. My personal experience with the Blaser R8 has been mixed. To be clear, I have absolutely nothing against the company or the folks there. I think their approach to their product offerings makes then standout. ‘Straight pulls’ in themselves divide some riflemen and women just in the same way we all have our favoured calibres and will debate them until blue in the face. I’ve been fortunate to try variants of the R8 over the last few years. The ease and speed of the bolt speaks volumes and the quality of the firearm feeds through your finger tips. That all said, my negative experience makes me err double caution picking up a range or school R8. In simple summary, I transitioned from two M98 (.375 H&H) actioned rifles that eject used cartridges manually with operator force in an indoor range back to a R8 in .308 . The simulated quarry was driven woodland boar. As I recycled the bolt after firing the first round and had my trigger finger parallel with and pointing down the barrel away from the trigger it discharged unintentionally down range as the bolt came to the end of its forward ride. No harm done to the indoor range et al. My point is simply threefold: 1 if you want to see how rifles fair in the same way as you would question durability of a car go and ask a reputable organisation that runs a fleet of them commercially with an above average frequency of use. 2. Even the best made rifles can be prone to wear and tear leading to failure. 3. User caution when transitioning from differing bolt types can’t be overstated. I had in my mind erred that caution in point three, yet still found myself in an undesirable situation be it within a controlled environment.

I think when you really evaluate the R8 you will find it in a different class and hard to compare to others. The Sauer is a nice gun for sure but I’m not sure how you compare it to he versatile R8.
Happy shopping!
Philip

I think when you really evaluate the R8 you will find it in a different class and hard to compare to others. The Sauer is a nice gun for sure but I’m not sure how you compare it to he versatile R8.
Happy shopping!
Philip

The Sauer 404S is pretty much a cousin to the Blaser R8 and just as versatile, IMO. The difference is really in the bolt action, straight pull vs traditional cycle style. Both are multi-barrel, take down rifles, have excellent triggers, accurate, decocking safety systems, etc. The magazines are a bit different but still mag fed rifles. Think it boils down to the fit and preference between the two as both are top of the line options.

The Sauer 404S is pretty much a cousin to the Blaser R8 and just as versatile, IMO. The difference is really in the bolt action, straight pull vs traditional cycle style. Both are multi-barrel, take down rifles, have excellent triggers, accurate, decocking safety systems, etc. The magazines are a bit different but still mag fed rifles. Think it boils down to the fit and preference between the two as both are top of the line options.
I would add two more things...

First is the scope mount on the R8 is on the barrel, not the receiver.
This configuration (arguably) makes for a more accurate setup.

Second is the R8 magazine being directly on top of the trigger, not in front of it.
This makes the R8 about 3.5-4" shorter in OAL for any given barrel length.

However, I do very much agree with you on the fit of the rifles and what "feels" right.
They both offer some very different options.
One thing I love about the 404 is the look of the full length wood stock that most of the R8's don't have.

I would add two more things...

First is the scope mount on the R8 is on the barrel, not the receiver.
This configuration (arguably) makes for a more accurate setup.

Second is the R8 magazine being directly on top of the trigger, not in front of it.
This makes the R8 about 3.5-4" shorter in OAL for any given barrel length.

However, I do very much agree with you on the fit of the rifles and what "feels" right.
They both offer some very different options.
One thing I love about the 404 is the look of the full length wood stock that most of the R8's don't have.

Only got to hold a 404 briefly, but it was a very nice shouldering rifle. Felt great, but the R8 does too but in a different way. I too like the looks of the 404 wood stocks over the R8. Not that the R8 is unattractive but think the 404 has better lines aesthetically. Either is a first class rifle, matter of preference at the end of the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg