Blaser R8 in .500 Jeffery?

Saul

AH elite
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina, Mexico
I recently saw a used Blaser R8 for sale in .500 Jeffery and I seriously considered buying it. My concern with a rifle like this is that the .500 Jeffery is such a powerful cartridge and I have heard of so many problems with the bolt coming off of Blaser rifles and hitting the shooter in the face. Would any of you trust the Blaser R8 rifle to handle the .500 Jeffery cartridge? If so, it would make one hell of a fast shooting rifle for dangerous game.

I have a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I used to be concerned that the Leupold scope I have on it would have to be surgically removed from my eye socket, but no worries there anymore. It's just like shooting my 270.

An R8 will not come apart. It is a magnificent rifle. I would not hesitate for a second. As a client, I just don't really have a need for a .500.

I would have no problems with getting a r8 in 500Jeffery. I am actually choosing between a barrel in 416rem, 458lott or 500Jeffery right now. The only "downside" I see to the Jeffery is that it will only take 2+1 rounds.
Not that it should pose much of a problem though....

No R8s that I am aware of have come apart. The action was tested to approximately 215000 psi about two years ago in Germany and I believe it's just been tested again to somewhere close to 250000psi. Without the action blowing up.

So that's well in excess of just about any other action one cares to mention - with the exception of possibly the MK5 Weatherby.

My concern with a rifle like this is that the .500 Jeffery is such a powerful cartridge and I have heard of so many problems with the bolt coming off of Blaser rifles and hitting the shooter in the face.

"So many problems" eh? Exactly how many problems? I'm sure if you filled a 500 Jeffery case with a fast pistol powder you could blow it up and the bolt could come back in your face.

The link below is a test of various rifles, including a Blaser R 93, being shot with an obstructed barrel.

R8 is fine. The lock up mechanism is different to the R93. Blaser won't say why they changed it. One guess why......

As for pressure all of the Weatherby Magnums and RUMs are spec'd at 65,000, the 500 Jeffery much less. Now recoil, that's a horse of a different color lol

The 500 Jeffery is not a high pressure round if loaded to traditional levels either ...
I thought it was 55-60,000 psi... no?

The rifles and brass can handle that but most published 500 Jeffery loads are below 45,000

The rifles and brass can handle that but most published 500 Jeffery loads are below 45,000
Co.... Good to know. I was a few psi lol

The Blaser R8 is more than capable of handling the .500 Jeffery. CIP lists a PMAX of 3300 bar / 47,863 psi. I don't know of any R8's that have had the bolt assembly come loose from the receiver regardless of caliber. I have heard of this happening a few times with the older R93. But in all cases that this has happened, it is my understanding that Blaser was never asked, nor allowed access, to investigate the problem. It is also my understanding the this has happened only with hand loads.

Shot with one last week- with the first shot my hand hit my nose with the recoil and it felt like I was in a bar fight! The second shot I held the rifle differently and managed the rifle jump better. It had a red dot site mounted and gave excellent accuracy. If you like big bores and the price is right buy one!

I find that the 458 Lott seems to kick harder than the 500 Jeffery in Safari
But that maybe just my Perception

I have personally hunted my largest Himalayan ibex with a Blaser R-8 in .338 Winchester Magnum . These are extremely sturdy and practical ( if unconventional ) rifles .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois