Blaser R8 in .500 Jeffery?

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Shot with one last week- with the first shot my hand hit my nose with the recoil and it felt like I was in a bar fight! The second shot I held the rifle differently and managed the rifle jump better. It had a red dot site mounted and gave excellent accuracy. If you like big bores and the price is right buy one!

The recoil is a bit sporty until you get used to it lol

TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I currently have an R8 Luxus in route with a fluted Semiweight 375H&H barrel. I wonder if the 458 Lott or 500 J barrel will fit my forend? I've read on this forum that the Semiweight and Safari contour barrels are the same diameter at the end of the forend. Then the Semiweight barrel tapers from that point, and the Safari contour barrel remains at 22mm. Can someone verify if this is true or false?

Paul Homsy

AH veteran
Reaction score
I recently saw a used Blaser R8 for sale in .500 Jeffery and I seriously considered buying it. My concern with a rifle like this is that the .500 Jeffery is such a powerful cartridge and I have heard of so many problems with the bolt coming off of Blaser rifles and hitting the shooter in the face. Would any of you trust the Blaser R8 rifle to handle the .500 Jeffery cartridge? If so, it would make one hell of a fast shooting rifle for dangerous game.
The problems you mention have been addressed with the newer R8. I have one in several calibers, some quite heavy. Never had a problem. As a matter of fact, extraction is smoother, easier and requires less effort than the same exact loads shot in a regular bolt action. (hot loads)

Paul Homsy

AH veteran
Reaction score
I recently saw a used Blaser R8 for sale in .500 Jeffery and I seriously considered buying it. My concern with a rifle like this is that the .500 Jeffery is such a powerful cartridge and I have heard of so many problems with the bolt coming off of Blaser rifles and hitting the shooter in the face. Would any of you trust the Blaser R8 rifle to handle the .500 Jeffery cartridge? If so, it would make one hell of a fast shooting rifle for dangerous game.
Your concern is legitimate. There has been mishaps with the R93. I saw some photographs that would get anyone's attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TammiNyhol

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby