Blaser R8 in .500 Jeffery?

Saul

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, UK, Hungary, Argentina
I recently saw a used Blaser R8 for sale in .500 Jeffery and I seriously considered buying it. My concern with a rifle like this is that the .500 Jeffery is such a powerful cartridge and I have heard of so many problems with the bolt coming off of Blaser rifles and hitting the shooter in the face. Would any of you trust the Blaser R8 rifle to handle the .500 Jeffery cartridge? If so, it would make one hell of a fast shooting rifle for dangerous game.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I have a CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I used to be concerned that the Leupold scope I have on it would have to be surgically removed from my eye socket, but no worries there anymore. It's just like shooting my 270.

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
An R8 will not come apart. It is a magnificent rifle. I would not hesitate for a second. As a client, I just don't really have a need for a .500.

Timt

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa
I would have no problems with getting a r8 in 500Jeffery. I am actually choosing between a barrel in 416rem, 458lott or 500Jeffery right now. The only "downside" I see to the Jeffery is that it will only take 2+1 rounds.
Not that it should pose much of a problem though....

mlg

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia
No R8s that I am aware of have come apart. The action was tested to approximately 215000 psi about two years ago in Germany and I believe it's just been tested again to somewhere close to 250000psi. Without the action blowing up.

So that's well in excess of just about any other action one cares to mention - with the exception of possibly the MK5 Weatherby.

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
The 500 Jeffery is not a high pressure round if loaded to traditional levels either ...

Grumulkin

AH veteran
Reaction score
My concern with a rifle like this is that the .500 Jeffery is such a powerful cartridge and I have heard of so many problems with the bolt coming off of Blaser rifles and hitting the shooter in the face.

"So many problems" eh? Exactly how many problems? I'm sure if you filled a 500 Jeffery case with a fast pistol powder you could blow it up and the bolt could come back in your face.

The link below is a test of various rifles, including a Blaser R 93, being shot with an obstructed barrel.

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
R8 is fine. The lock up mechanism is different to the R93. Blaser won't say why they changed it. One guess why......

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
As for pressure all of the Weatherby Magnums and RUMs are spec'd at 65,000, the 500 Jeffery much less. Now recoil, that's a horse of a different color lol

Dr. Crack

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
The 500 Jeffery is not a high pressure round if loaded to traditional levels either ...
I thought it was 55-60,000 psi... no?

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
The rifles and brass can handle that but most published 500 Jeffery loads are below 45,000

Dr. Crack

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
The rifles and brass can handle that but most published 500 Jeffery loads are below 45,000
Co.... Good to know. I was a few psi lol

dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
The Blaser R8 is more than capable of handling the .500 Jeffery. CIP lists a PMAX of 3300 bar / 47,863 psi. I don't know of any R8's that have had the bolt assembly come loose from the receiver regardless of caliber. I have heard of this happening a few times with the older R93. But in all cases that this has happened, it is my understanding that Blaser was never asked, nor allowed access, to investigate the problem. It is also my understanding the this has happened only with hand loads.

John Telford

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Phasa ,SA Wingshooters, Botswana Tourism (HATAB), Pretoria Arms and Ammunition Association PAAA.
Hunted
South Africa , Botswana,
Shot with one last week- with the first shot my hand hit my nose with the recoil and it felt like I was in a bar fight! The second shot I held the rifle differently and managed the rifle jump better. It had a red dot site mounted and gave excellent accuracy. If you like big bores and the price is right buy one!

ve7poi

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member SCI
Hunted
British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
I find that the 458 Lott seems to kick harder than the 500 Jeffery in Safari
But that maybe just my Perception

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
I have personally hunted my largest Himalayan ibex with a Blaser R-8 in .338 Winchester Magnum . These are extremely sturdy and practical ( if unconventional ) rifles .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladimiromb

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh