Blaser R8 in 458 Lott

6113D25F-A965-4B58-BD19-7CC4F1BEE92A.jpeg

I realise that this is not 458 but the red dot is spot on

I interchange it with the swaro 1-6x24 EE

Have both Steel and alloy receivers in R8s. My 458Lott is on my steel, 375h&h and 7PRC live on alloy receivers.

I really like the 450 tsx load out of my 458. Hunting a cat this year, have some 450 North Fork soft points I'm going to try out. Like @One Day... and @TOBY458 stated on weights mine is in the 11pound 14oz my 375h&h with the same barrel profile is 10pounds 4oz on the alloy receiver. Just to give you an idea of the difference. The 375h&h barrel has more weight to it. I also prefer a heavier rifle. So at this stage in my life, I'm good with the weights.

I Tried to one receiver for two barrels and then ordered a barrel in 7PRC. I just went ahead and purchased everything to make 3 functional rifles. My OCD was getting the better of me. Good luck on your quest, let us know what you end up with.

Yes, yes...don't bait the wolves. I'm not looking for any posts here on Win vs Lott. That's all over this place and we don't need it again here. Thanks.

Nice buff. What bullet are you using in the Lott?

Yes and the kick stop and balance is an important point. How do you know if the receiver or trigger group is steel or alloy? I don't see that referenced much in descriptions. I also almost never see the weight of the kick stop referenced.
Rifle should come with a build sheet and a part number. Here is a copy (from the purchase) of the one I was using for the 416RM that I sold a while back.
1710967917963.png

R8 .458 Lott.JPG

In answer to the various questions / comments (MD Driver, TOBY458c, BeeMaa, Green Chile, bowjijohn, Inline6, Hunting Hitman):
  • My scope is the Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 i. I will go on a limb to posit that it is probably one of the best, if not THE very best DG scope out there, and I do include the Zeiss V8 and Swaro Z8 in this statement. But this is just my opinion, based on the Leica glass quality and the fact that I do not see what 8x brings to a DG scope compared to 6x. In truth I would be happy with 4x. As far as I can tell, so far, it is impervious to recoil.
  • I shoot the 500 gr TSX. In Lott loads it shoots flat enough for anything out to 200 yards, and it hits markedly harder than the 400 or 450 gr slugs in stopper mode. I am happy with the factory Barnes load.
  • The best test to identify steel vs. alloy insert, beside weight (and price), is a simple magnet. It will not stick to the alloy receiver.
  • Yes, the Selous barrel makes the rifle a tad front-heavy, but this is welcome to compensate for muzzle jump with the Lott.
  • I opened the channel on my alloy insert stock myself, by wrapping a piece of sand paper on a wooden dowel and working it in the channel for about 10 minutes, because I wanted it to be able to take my .375 H&H barrel with is the so-called mid weight (19 mm at the muzzle, but in fact 21.5mm - if memory serves - within the stock).
  • My wife has the Blaser RD20 on her DG barrel. It is a great set up. I like the fact that it has a very large diameter ocular. It is almost impossible not to be lined up with it.
  • Regarding weight, there was a pretty darn good reason why double rifles in the Golden Age weighed between 11 and 12 lbs. It really soaks up recoil...
Also, just to share, I mount my Blaser barrels with a 65 inch/lb (7.4 Newton/meter) torque wrench to insure consistency and repeatability. It is hard to get from Blaser the torque value they recommend, but extensive research, including calls to Germany indicated to not exceed 10 to 12 Nm, and some earlier R8 receivers were stamped 11 Nm, which is 97 inch/lb, but based on a life-long experience I am not sure there is much need to go past 65 inch/lb, which is already considerably more than the current Blaser recommendation of "hand tight".

1710998229929.png

Last edited:
Synthetic stock is the way to go. Depending on the final weight you want, chose steel insert or alloy insert - there is no difference in strength - and keep in mind the scope weight.

Depending on budget available, choose steel or alloy. The steel insert synthetic PH is typically 2.5x to 3x more expensive ($5,300 vs. $2,100 on EuroOptic right now, used to be $4,500 vs. $1,500), for no other reason than Blaser think they can gouge you.

You can always put a 12 oz. or 16 oz. tungsten recoil reducer in an alloy stock if you want the weight of a steel insert stock, without the cost.

I have both alloy insert and steel insert stocks, there is zero difference aside from the weight. I would never have bought a steel insert stock if I had not come across one used-as-new, priced to sell instantly, by a guy who thought he had to get a steel insert to get a 22 mm channel for a target barrel, and who just wanted the cash to replace it with an alloy insert stock. Lucky me!

Here is the data:

View attachment 594277

I favor DG caliber rifles that are a little heavier, as I find them considerably easier to shoot, and as I cannot tell the difference between 9 and 11 lbs. once they are slung on my shoulder. I love my 11 1/2 lbs. scoped R8 .458 Lott. It is a pleasure to shoot, and clover leaf accurate too.
@One Day... I reckon you could just about recite Blaser specs in your sleep. What about my Kilombero in 458 Lott, how do the specs on that stack up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Rosenth

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you