Blaser R8 in .375 H&H Magnum

Either. The Z8(i) is pretty much the gold standard at the moment.

I am leaning towards the Swaro z8(i) 1-8x24 for the Blaser .375. Seems well regarded on this forum for what I would be using it for. Low power for close stuff with enough magnification for plains game I might encounter within my comfortable shooting range (couple hundred yards). Other option I am considering is the Swaro z6(i) 1.7-10x42. Thoughts?

I have the Z6i 1.7-10x42 on my 9.3x74R. Now, other than sighting in I have not used it past 6X. The 42mm optic does gather more light though, and if you ever are considering shooting at dawn or dusk or during full moon it would help.

Not that the "rat calibers" have much recoil, but with practice it won't matter. Also, in the actual act of hunting you won't remember the recoil or even feel it.

I have a Z8i 1-8x and a Z6 1.7-10x42. Both are outstanding scopes and will work well for you. Personally, I would go with the 1-8x on a .375. You may find the straight tube gives you a little more flexibility in mounting position. However, if you think you may use the rifle for leopard, the larger objective lens would deserve serious consideration.

Image1631979658.844978.jpg

I was in the exact place you are ! My biggest gun was a 300 prior to my purchase of my r8 success shown above . 375 hh and 7mm mag , 16 oz recoil reducer , standard barrels. My 375 is right around 10 lbs. with scope etc. . I would not want any heavier.
As far as recoil goes I do not like kick , and practice is 6-8 rounds off sticks . I agree with prior post you just have to decide to shoot without worry. I am working on it.
My Blaser is great . Trigger is perfect. Function is smooth and excellent. Thumb hole is more ergonomic and I think it helps with recoil. All my rig fits nicely in pelican 700 vault above. Very cool outfit. I like technology and this gun is a tool for me. I am not a collector or one prone to fondle old wood guns. Shoots straight too!

I am leaning towards the Swaro z8(i) 1-8x24 for the Blaser .375. Seems well regarded on this forum for what I would be using it for. Low power for close stuff with enough magnification for plains game I might encounter within my comfortable shooting range (couple hundred yards). Other option I am considering is the Swaro z6(i) 1.7-10x42. Thoughts?
If you are using it exclusively for plains game the 1.7-10 would be fine but the 1-8 is a better choice all-around. If you are going to use it up close (dangerous game) you’ll be far better off with a proper 1x. It is really the perfect scope for a 375. The best thing about a 375 is it’s versatility- it handles everything at least adequately. Get a versatile scope.

I know the “then I’ll take off my scope and use the iron sights for up close work” argument. Besides the fact that you’ll need to figure out what do do with the scope, taking my rifle out of action for even the 5 seconds it would take to get the scope off is 5 seconds more than I prefer when dealing with dangerous game. Especially when the option to just do it right is available.

I took a Luxus with a 300RUM and 375H&H and a 470NE Heym Double this summer! The R8 is a unique design and frankly if they weren't so accurate and fit with a double in a 1615 Pelican case I wouldn't own one! A 1-8X on the 375 is perfect, if I take it next year I'll leave the 300 barrel home, all you need is a 375 with the 17mm barrel. I love to hunt DG with a double, but frankly a 375 is all you really need! In a Blaser the recoil is very mild. I still prefer a M70

I took a Luxus with a 300RUM and 375H&H and a 470NE Heym Double this summer! ...
For a combination of PG (over 200 yards) and DG the R8 .300 RUM with a double is a perfect fit. I have to run some test with my 9.3x74R at 300 yards, if not satisfied then the R8 .300 RUM with Swarovski Z6i BT 3-18x and .500 NE will be the guns I will most likely take next year.

I have 3 Swaro’s: 1-6, 1-8 & 1.7-10. I like true 1X on the low end for buffalo, and the 1-6 or 1-8 is a great combo scope for a .375 that will used for both dangerous and plains game. Swaro’s are relatively light in weight, bright, clear glass and the illuminated dot is very effective on moving game. One great feature is the ability to preset the brightness on the dot in both a dim and bright setting (2-position switch); very quick in the field. The 1-6 Z6i is what I used on a recent buffalo/PG hunt and it was brilliant. The 1-6X will save you a bunch of cash over the 1-8X, if you can find one with the reticle you want.

For a combination of PG (over 200 yards) and DG the R8 .300 RUM with a double is a perfect fit. I have to run some test with my 9.3x74R at 300 yards, if not satisfied then the R8 .300 RUM with Swarovski Z6i BT 3-18x and .500 NE will be the guns I will most likely take next year.
With all of this 375 talk. I feel like I need to turn you in to @michael458 for a possible revocation of your B&M card.

I have a Z8i 1-8x and a Z6 1.7-10x42. Both are outstanding scopes and will work well for you. Personally, I would go with the 1-8x on a .375. You may find the straight tube gives you a little more flexibility in mounting position. However, if you think you may use the rifle for leopard, the larger objective lens would deserve serious consideration.
Leopard will be on the menu. I currently have a z6 3-18x50. I was thinking of putting that on a .300 win mag barrel for leopard, croc and/or for pure plains game if I already have the buffalo. Or leave it on my .30-06 M70 and bring that as a second rifle.

I was in the exact place you are ! My biggest gun was a 300 prior to my purchase of my r8 success shown above . 375 hh and 7mm mag , 16 oz recoil reducer , standard barrels. My 375 is right around 10 lbs. with scope etc. . I would not want any heavier.
As far as recoil goes I do not like kick , and practice is 6-8 rounds off sticks . I agree with prior post you just have to decide to shoot without worry. I am working on it.
My Blaser is great . Trigger is perfect. Function is smooth and excellent. Thumb hole is more ergonomic and I think it helps with recoil. All my rig fits nicely in pelican 700 vault above. Very cool outfit. I like technology and this gun is a tool for me. I am not a collector or one prone to fondle old wood guns. Shoots straight too!
Nice looking setup!

@Red Leg, what model is your R8? I noticed that the stock is like a regular rifle, not two pieces like other R8. BTW, beautiful set up. (y)

With all of this 375 talk. I feel like I need to turn you in to @michael458 for a possible revocation of your B&M card.
Busted.......... @Tanks is close to having his B&M license revoked, it seems he has turned into a double weeny..... LOL.........OMG, if he even lets the numbers 3 7 5 run thru the brain cells, much less SPEAK it, then its license revoked, end of story.............

Fortunately right now he is blowing smoke with 300 RUM...... at least, we can take that 300 RUM brass and make something decent of it...........

I don't know WTF he is talking about with plains game.......... I have never in my life seen anything work better than a 500 MDM and 350 ESP Raptors at 2800+ fps, you don't even have to skin or clean plains game when shot with that, the trackers and skinners love that load. And, you don't have to do any tracking either........everything is DRT...........What more do you want? And, if you run across a buffalo, that load will even work for that.........WTF?

OMG........ I just saw the title of this thread.............. Its hurting my eyes, I may have to delete this post, I cannot be seen on a thread that is titled with those number.............Toby, don't mention me on this sort of thread........I may puke...........

:sick:

Busted.......... @Tanks is close to having his B&M license revoked, it seems he has turned into a double weeny..... LOL.........OMG, if he even lets the numbers 3 7 5 run thru the brain cells, much less SPEAK it, then its license revoked, end of story.............

Fortunately right now he is blowing smoke with 300 RUM...... at least, we can take that 300 RUM brass and make something decent of it...........

I don't know WTF he is talking about with plains game.......... I have never in my life seen anything work better than a 500 MDM and 350 ESP Raptors at 2800+ fps, you don't even have to skin or clean plains game when shot with that, the trackers and skinners love that load. And, you don't have to do any tracking either........everything is DRT...........What more do you want? And, if you run across a buffalo, that load will even work for that.........WTF?

OMG........ I just saw the title of this thread.............. Its hurting my eyes, I may have to delete this post, I cannot be seen on a thread that is titled with those number.............Toby, don't mention me on this sort of thread........I may puke...........

:sick:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Yeah, .300 RUM not .375, no practical use for "rat calibers" for DG.

You know my .500 MDM is set up with a red dot. .300 RUM is for shots that might be over 200+ yards. And yes, the .350 ESP raptors rock. I think mine are loaded at 2,950 fps.

I am told the Kafue Lechwe could be over 200 yards for a shot, so the .300 RUM is a possibility. Will see.

Yeah, .300 RUM not .375,
You know @TOBY458 ..... He's looking to start trouble........stirring the pot.................:ROFLMAO:

You know my .500 MDM is set up with a red dot
You can put a damn scope on it....... Excuses.........500 will shoot 200+ yards........

I gotta go, I am on a thread that has 3 7 5 in the title.......... I am going to......:Vomit::sick:

@Red Leg, what model is your R8? I noticed that the stock is like a regular rifle, not two pieces like other R8. BTW, beautiful set up. (y)
It is what they call their “classic sporter.” It is designed for standard contour barrels. With the .375 barrel in place it makes a very elegant African rifle - particularly for those hunters with the style, grace and exquisite taste not to feel compelled to try and shoot game with something having the BC/SD of an ashtray. :A Naughty:

Last edited:
It is what they call their “classic sporter.” It is designed for standard contour barrels. With the .375 barrel in place it makes a very elegant African rifle - particularly for those hunters with the style, grace and exquisite taste not to feel compelled to try and shoot game with something having the BC/SD of an ashtray. :A Naughty:
I do think the Classic Sporter is possibly the best looking R8 they make. I wonder why they don't make many in that configuration?

.... With the .375 barrel in place it makes a very elegant African rifle - particularly for those hunters with the style, grace and exquisite taste not to feel compelled to try and shoot game with something having the BC/SD of an ashtray. :A Naughty:
For CEB solids .375 (.19) , .458 (.20), and .510 (.20) solids more ore less have the same BC. From Chuck Hawks web site the SD are below.

1632010409066.png

Seems like the .375 is like a very small ash tray compared to the bigger bores. ;) :whistle:

In all seriousness though, anything over .300 is good for penetrating thick-skinned African DG. At the distance most shoot DG (< 50 meters) BC doesn't really matter much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross