Blaser R8 in .375 H&H Magnum

For CEB solids .375 (.19) , .458 (.20), and .510 (.20) solids more ore less have the same BC. From Chuck Hawks web site the SD are below.

View attachment 425137

Seems like the .375 is like a very small ash tray compared to the bigger bores. ;) :whistle:

In all seriousness though, anything over .300 is good for penetrating thick-skinned African DG. At the distance most shoot DG (< 50 meters) BC doesn't really matter much.
Of course.

It was the .500 shooting 350 ESP’s that caught my attention. Would they soar if they are deflected edge on?

I do think the Classic Sporter is possibly the best looking R8 they make. I wonder why they don't make many in that configuration?

I am not sure why they discontinued that model. I saw two for sale, the one that I was interested in was a 308 grade 7 wood, I missed purchasing it by a day. Not that I need another 308 Win. anyway. My only complaint about that model is the sling attachment. But I agree that it is the best looking Blaser made.

There was a Jaeger safari for sale on AH about the same time too, with a 375 barrel. That was a nice Blaser too. Not a big fan of the European cheek piece, I prefer the England version cheek piece, which that one had. Missed out on that one too.

Of course.

It was the .500 shooting 350 ESP’s that caught my attention. Would they soar if they are deflected edge on?
I have shot the .500 with the tipped 335 grain ESP raptor at 2,950 fps. It was devastating. I would not hesitate to use it again. I have also taken an Elk at 300+ yards with the 225 grain .416 tipped raptor as well as a couple of zebras with the .416 B&M. All were through and through except for the petals that shredded vitals. This one was neck shot, dropped instantly.

l5HAw15l.jpg

That being said I am thinking of the .300 RUM for next year's Sable and Kafue Lechwe as I have already hunted with the other rifles mentioned. Mike said the shot on the lechwe might be over 200 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have shot the .500 with the tipped 335 grain ESP raptor at 2,950 fps. It was devastating. I would not hesitate to use it again. I have also taken an Elk at 300+ yards with the 225 grain .416 tipped raptor as well as a couple of zebras with the .416 B&M. All were through and through except for the petals that shredded vitals. This one was neck shot, dropped instantly.

View attachment 425237

That being said I am thinking of the .300 RUM for next year's Sable and Kafue Lechwe as I have already hunted with the other rifles mentioned. Mike said the shot on the lechwe might be over 200 yards.
Never said an ashtray wouldn’t hurt. Just never got the point (or flat). :E Angel:

And yes, the Lechwe like the open dambos and may require a bit of reach. I took mine at just over 200 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure why they discontinued that model. I saw two for sale, the one that I was interested in was a 308 grade 7 wood, I missed purchasing it by a day. Not that I need another 308 Win. anyway. My only complaint about that model is the sling attachment. But I agree that it is the best looking Blaser made.

There was a Jaeger safari for sale on AH about the same time too, with a 375 barrel. That was a nice Blaser too. Not a big fan of the European cheek piece, I prefer the England version cheek piece, which that one had. Missed out on that one too.
That may have been my Jaeger 375 you're referring to. I sold it on here not long ago.

I was in the exact place you are ! My biggest gun was a 300 prior to my purchase of my r8 success shown above . 375 hh and 7mm mag , 16 oz recoil reducer , standard barrels. My 375 is right around 10 lbs. with scope etc. . I would not want any heavier.
As far as recoil goes I do not like kick , and practice is 6-8 rounds off sticks . I agree with prior post you just have to decide to shoot without worry. I am working on it.
My Blaser is great . Trigger is perfect. Function is smooth and excellent. Thumb hole is more ergonomic and I think it helps with recoil. All my rig fits nicely in pelican 700 vault above. Very cool outfit. I like technology and this gun is a tool for me. I am not a collector or one prone to fondle old wood guns. Shoots straight too!

One question:
How do you manipulate the safety/decocker with the thumbhole stock? Trigger finger? There is a definite reaction time for me with thumb holes and cocking a hammer or flipping off a safety that is tang mounted.
All the thumb hole and pistols grip stock I have... I never wrap my thumb around it. It's always to the side when I shoot. When your thumb is wrapped around the grip and you squeeze your rifle moves. How much depends on how hard you squeeze. If you are flinching due to recoil it will be even worse.

Just my .02

All the thumb hole and pistols grip stock I have... I never wrap my thumb around it. It's always to the side when I shoot. When your thumb is wrapped around the grip and you squeeze your rifle moves. How much depends on how hard you squeeze. If you are flinching due to recoil it will be even worse.

Just my .02
This is true. Another benefit is speed. I shot a bunch of different bolt actions with varying bolt lifts and straight pull actions in .308 on a shot timer, and found this technique to be quicker than the thumb wrap method in all cases. I am so habituated to this method, I even shoot shotguns this way.

I am considering a Blaser R8 in .375 H&H Magnum (with a .223 for more practice). I have never shot that heavy of a caliber rifle. A .300 wing mag is biggest I have shot and didn’t particularly care for it. My regular deer gun is a .30-06 in a Winchester m70. Perfectly comfortable to me.

my concern with the Blaser is it seems relatively light in weight. Those with the .375 do you have the semi weighted barrel? The available recoil reducer?

thanks

Get another m70 in 375 then you got a nice matching pair....now my running smiley is heading for the hills before the blooser crowd come gunning for me.....

Get another m70 in 375 then you got a nice matching pair....now my running smiley is heading for the hills before the blooser crowd come gunning for me.....

:A Outta:my smileys are back...thanks to AH Assistant for her assistance :A Thumbs Up:

@spike.t

As for the recoil, I’ve got the threaded, light profile, 375HH barrel and thumbhole stock. It was my first „heavy” rifle after 308Win. First time at the range I was rather scarred of the recoil. I started with a muzzle brake and recoil reducer in the stock. After the first few shots I’ve taken the muzzle brake off, after few more out come the recoil reducer. Both now reside in a box, inside the cupboard, they are not needed for hunting. If one wanted to fire few tens of rounds of the bench it would perhaps be different but a box of ammo of the bench is not a problem and certainly not annissue for hunting.

@jcnelsn1 - I'm a little late to the party but none the less ready to provide some information.

I currently have an aluminum receiver R8 Professional (synthetic) stock, no kickstop, standard contour (17mm) 375H&H barrel and a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 scope. It weighs in at just over 10# with scope, ammo and sling ready to hunt. I've shot it off sticks without the scope (weight is 7.7#) and it's an easy thing for me now. Below is a video of me shooting the 7.7# 375H&H...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGipNTBJciT2xaweA

My wife has an aluminum receiver R8 Intuition wood stock, safari contour (22mm) 375H&H barrel and Swaro 1.7-13.3x42 scope. I believe it comes in around 12.5# but I haven't measured it yet. She does a good job shooting it, but limits herself to just a couple of shots each range session. In the end we determined this combination is too heavy for her to carry. We are selling the 375 safari barrel and scaling her back to the 300WM...most likely without the kickstop. She knows she can shoot the 375, she just doesn't feel the need to do so. Plus this makes the rifle much easier for her to carry.

Listen to the advice given from the other members above. Start slow. Do lots of dry fire practice. Limit your 375 range sessions to 5-8 shots. Slow and steady wins the race.

I have seriously considered that plan. My current m70 is a beautiful Supergrade. I will probably sell it if I get a m70 (I am not a collector just own guns I hunt with). I am really interested in the idea of a .223 barrel for the R8 so I can practice more with the exact rifle I will be shooting. If there was a m70 available in .223 I would even more seriously consider it.

I have seriously considered that plan. My current m70 is a beautiful Supergrade. I will probably sell it if I get a m70 (I am not a collector just own guns I hunt with). I am really interested in the idea of a .223 barrel for the R8 so I can practice more with the exact rifle I will be shooting. If there was a m70 available in .223 I would even more seriously consider it.
You can find them in a 308 or 3006 that would be about the same. Good 223 ammo is not much if any cheaper right now.

It does make a difference to practice with the same rifle!

As for going up in caliber and recoil, don’t judge a new caliber in only a few shots. Going from a 7 RM to a .375 was a big jump for me. It took at least three different range trips with about 6-9 rounds per session to start to get comfortable with the change. Then it was another 60+ rounds to begin to feel confident. Switching the barrels back and forth helped to gain trust in the rifle. It also helped my shooting with the smaller calibers.

You can get 22lr set up for R8 too. Albeit it costs as much as a decent 22lr rifle.

Thanks to all the people that provided me with their thoughts on the Blasers. I ordered my R8 today from cove creek. I decided on the professional success with a 12 oz kickstop recoil reducer in .375 H&H mag standard contour barrel. Ordered .223 and 300 min mag barrels also along with the Blaser saddle mounts for optics. Did a lot of research on optics as well. Ended up getting leupold vx-6hd 2-12x42 with the firedot for each of the barrels.

Congrats @jcnelsn1. It seems like you got it all covered with those 3 bbls. I am quite sure you will enjoy them. Shoot them in good health.

Regards,

Thanks to all the people that provided me with their thoughts on the Blasers. I ordered my R8 today from cove creek. I decided on the professional success with a 12 oz kickstop recoil reducer in .375 H&H mag standard contour barrel. Ordered .223 and 300 min mag barrels also along with the Blaser saddle mounts for optics. Did a lot of research on optics as well. Ended up getting leupold vx-6hd 2-12x42 with the firedot for each of the barrels.
Nice combo! I’m confident you are going to really like that setup. Please give a report back as you begin using it.

Congratulations! Was it in stock or on back order? What is the quoted delivery time? I am considering an R8 Professional with .375 H&H and .223 barrels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you