Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

It is an unfair comparison to Benz. I'd say an R8 is more like a souped up Toyota Corolla. It is actually less expensive than most custom rifles in basic configurations.

I bought one in .300 RUM as I was concerned my 9.3x74R was not going to be ready for my leopard hunt. I did have a Defiance Machine lefty action I had ordered for a .300 RUM built but by the time I would have it barreled, sent to Accurate Innovations for stock built etc. it would have been too late.

The cost with a Savannah stock in .300 RUM with a steel trigger and their removable scope mount was less than half of the custom build (actually about the cost of the stock alone). I will use it next year in Zambia for PG. Being lefty friendly is also a big deal for R8, not many factory options are out there for lefties. Though the version with adjustable stock unfortunately is NOT lefty friendly.
Note I said similar. :S Beat Dead Horse:

This actually happened to me and my friend at a small grocery mart in Chestertown, MD. It was my friend who actually owned the Benz and let me drive it around town after goose hunting one day. It was one of the bigger sedans but I don't recall exactly which one. We were in line checking out and I was gushing about how cool the car was when someone behind us made the comment. I think my friend got more of a kick out of it than I did as it was a real status symbol for him. I don't even know if he owned it or leased it.

I went hunting with him a few times and rode with him to the area where we all congregated at 4AM before heading out to our blinds with our assigned callers. It was always about 10 +/- pickup trucks and only ever 1 Benz.

LOL!!

I have the same issue when I show up in my Hyundai sedan and everyone else has lifted King Ranch’s and Diesel Cummins LOL!

This actually happened to me and my friend at a small grocery mart in Chestertown, MD. It was my friend who actually owned the Benz and let me drive it around town after goose hunting one day. It was one of the bigger sedans but I don't recall exactly which one. We were in line checking out and I was gushing about how cool the car was when someone behind us made the comment. I think my friend got more of a kick out of it than I did as it was a real status symbol for him. I don't even know if he owned it or leased it.
I had bought a Porsche Targa C2 a while back in my 30s. More than once I did have a similar comment made. My standard response was: "Does your car come with an automatic pantyhose remover?". That shut them up. Sold it 5 years ago after 25 years, 250K miles and a multitude of panty hose removed ;) for over half of what I paid for it.

I had bought a Porsche Targa C2 a while back in my 30s. More than once I did have a similar comment made. My standard response was: "Does your car come with an automatic pantyhose remover?". That shut them up. Sold it 5 years ago after 25 years, 250K miles and a multitude of panty hose removed ;) for over half of what I paid for it.
Hilarious! We need a "beer flying out my nose" choice on the Like button.

Well I went with the R8 synthetic stock from Mad Dog topped with a regular 375 H&H barrel that I had threaded to accept a suppressor for when my wife goes on DG hunts with me. Very easy to handle!
View attachment 429617
What’s the barrel length on that? And looks like a lovely rig!

Oh yeah, I was definitely in a DIFFERENT place at the time. Newly married to my first wife so it seemed like a good idea at the time. Not so good now. Ah well, different time and place....... kinda like now? Ha! Ha!
@CoElkHunter
Should have sold the first wife instead
Bob

Would need to see pics of first wife before I can pass judgment.
@sureshot375
Doesn't matter how good looking you should never sell a rifle to make a woman happy unless it is to buy her a rifle
Bob

Some would call the 22lr setup expensive...we call it worth it. I bought the stock in nearly new condition from @Ridgewalker (thank you very much sir) so that saved a little bit. The barrel kit came from Top Dog Guns Global and was already threaded 1/2"-28 for my suppressor. The bolt gets run at the same speed and force, but at about half the stroke of a centerfire cartridge. It has seen range work for practice, but it's mostly a dedicated pest rifle for both of us. We prefer doing range work with full power centerfire cartridges. The 22 kit is very robust and I would not hesitate to have it in bad weather, rain or the muck & mud. The finish (not a coating) on the barrel is the same as on any other Blaser barrel...tough as nails.

Good memory, I did have a 416RM with the steel receiver stock and kickstop. I sold that entire package to another member here. Because I bought only the barrel new from a dealer, I didn't loose any money on it. I kept the scope and use it on my lightweight 375 barrel.

22lr vs 223REM for pests...most of our pests around here are fox, groundhog, raccoon and smaller at less than 50 yards. 40 grain HP 22lr is more than enough for these critters and with the cloverleaf groups it shoots, very easy to hit. If the varmints were coyote and larger, I'd get the 223. However I'd more likely get a 257WBY so I don't have to change bolt heads and can still hunt deer with it. If a 223 is good than a 257 has to be better right? Yeah, I thought so too.
@BeeMaa
Any 25 is better than the 223

I appreciated the advice I got from RedLeg ,Beemaa, Oneday and others before I bought my R8 and cannot understand all the snarky comments about Blasers from folks who don’t own the gun. I like mine a lot and bought one for my son . A great tool for international hunting and a straight shooting, cool rig in my humble opinion .
@Rickmt
Blasers may be a fine and dandy rifle for some but being a great tool for international travel and one the is spot on at all times is a good attribute but it's all a matter of perspective.
My Savage 35 Whelen was a great tool for international travel and puts all shots exactly where the rifle is pointed.
I'm not saying the Savage is better than the Blaser just that it's a matter of perspective. The Savage was what I had for Namibia and never failed in the dusty conditions so to me it is a great rifle that fits me very well, is accurate and reliable.
Perspective and the size of my wallet is only small.
Bob

How did you end up having then thread it for that suppressor? Seems like a ton of options with all of their adapters!

I just had them thread it 5/8 x 24. That is the thread pattern for all of my suppressors. Has a thread cap as well.

Make sure they know what they're doing when they're doing the threading of the barrel and that the threads are concentric to the bore. I would do an alignment check to make sure everything is good and prevent baffle strikes before firing. There's more precision needed than with a muzzle brake or flash hider install. Remember that if you blow up the serialized part in the US...you're in for another glorious waiting period.

I was surprised to not find a thread that had "Blaser" and "DG" in the title and that's why I started this thread.
Now onto the topic at hand.

My wife and I are on the market for a new rifle for her and she has shown an interest in the Blaser R8.
There are several other rifles in the running right now that are traditional bolt action rifles, but I'm keeping my options open.
Her caliber of choice would be 300WM and I already have a CZ550 375H&H.

If we were to go the R8 route, I would get at least a two barrel set with 300WM and 375H&H.
Potentially replacing my CZ, although at this point I would be reluctant to part with it.
So this is as much about her as it is me.
Call it consolidation, having one rifle (with a smaller case) that shoots two calibers is tempting...like the DARK SIDE.

For as long as the Mauser '98 action has been around it has been recommended for use with DG for it's reliability and toughness.
I understand CRF, double-square bridge, drop box magazine...etc.
I also get how the Blaser R8 operates outside of the "traditional" set of operating parameters.

My question is for those who have used the R8 for Dangerous Game and potential problems vs. a traditional bolt.
Would you go to Africa armed with a 375H&H Blaser R8 as your only rifle for Buffalo or other DG?
Any insight or personal experiences (positive or negative) would be appreciated.
Phillip glass will be giving his thumbs up soon

Have I mentioned I bought another R8 Professional, two barrels and two scope mounts last week? 7MM Rem Mag and 375 H&H. Both with iron sights. Figured this thread needed a bump.
Dude. It is at least possible you need counseling. :oops: Perhaps @BRICKBURN can offer an intervention service on the site. :unsure:

Dude. It is at least possible you need counseling. :oops: Perhaps @BRICKBURN can offer an intervention service on the site. :unsure:
The more R8s I buy at good deals and then sell for a profit, the sooner I'll be in one for free!
Honestly, every time I sell an R8, I seem to regret it. They kind of get in your blood a bit. I really wish I had kept the Jaeger I had! That was a beautiful rifle and shot very well. But another AH member has it now, so it's in good hands. At any rate, I'm sure I'll end up with another wooden stock of some sort. I'm really interested in a stock that will go with a 416 Rem Mag barrel. I could easily have opened up that Jaeger just a little bit to work with a 22mm barrel, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. On my upcoming Elephant hunt, I'd feel a little better equipped with a 416 or 458, and I have that covered. Although I'm sure a 375 would work well enough. Especially on a tuskless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois