Blaser R8 for Dangerous Game

So I never really had experience with the Blaser and kept my mouth shut. I had a chance to handle a 7 mm rem mag. Seems like a good, well made gun. I would say it is a custom factory rifle ie you pay a whole lot more and they put in more effort. I did find some issues- top loading into the mag was not easy, you have to fiddle around. But accuracy is awesome. However a beratta brx1 seems to offer exactly the same features with the addition of a left/ right bolt. And it cheaper. It will be interesting to see if it creates the cult following that the blaser enjoys. I am guessing it doesn't boast the snob value and so will fade away.

And the PH in zambia that I just finished a 10 day hunt with said you need to clean the action every day. That place was dusty and he has had 2 Blasers jam up. Looking at the action and understanding the engineering, I can see the flaw. So blaser is great if you clean it. But a PH rifle gets carried for long periods without shooting- and when it needs to go bang, you better hope it does. No use asking a buffalo or elephant to just hold on.
@Nhoro
It will be interesting to see how the new Savage impulse straight pull goes in the USA and other countries. Interchangeable left/ right bolt handle, Interchangeable barrels and a fraction of the cost.
As well some one once said, they have never tested and inaccurate Savage.
Bob

With @Tanks on this one. The way the action is made dust will not easily enter it. I just don't see 2 in one week unless they are running things very wet and dust is sticking to it.

As far as a snob rifle...I would not call it that. It is not a cheap rifle, it is not crazy.

So I never really had experience with the Blaser and kept my mouth shut. I had a chance to handle a 7 mm rem mag. Seems like a good, well made gun. I would say it is a custom factory rifle ie you pay a whole lot more and they put in more effort. I did find some issues- top loading into the mag was not easy, you have to fiddle around. But accuracy is awesome. However a beratta brx1 seems to offer exactly the same features with the addition of a left/ right bolt. And it cheaper. It will be interesting to see if it creates the cult following that the blaser enjoys. I am guessing it doesn't boast the snob value and so will fade away.

And the PH in zambia that I just finished a 10 day hunt with said you need to clean the action every day. That place was dusty and he has had 2 Blasers jam up. Looking at the action and understanding the engineering, I can see the flaw. So blaser is great if you clean it. But a PH rifle gets carried for long periods without shooting- and when it needs to go bang, you better hope it does. No use asking a buffalo or elephant to just hold on.
The Beretta BRX1 has the magazine in front of the trigger group, not on top of it like the Blaser. This makes the R8 about 4 inches shorter with all other things being equal. The BRX1 has the scope mounted to the action, where Blaser mounts it on the barrel. Any minor misalignment between the action and barrel (assuming a barrel change) on the BRX1 will result in inaccuracy downrange. This would not be the case with the Blaser. The designs are similar in that they are both straight pull actions, but that's where it ends. Much like a Mercedes-Benz S-Class and Toyota Camry are both cars.

As for it being used as a PH rifle, @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS is using a Blaser R8 in 416RM for this very purpose. If he can trust it every day...
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/blaser-r8-for-dangerous-game.53390/post-596140

Blaser action has small parts and close tolerances. That means dirt will cause problems. You can rant but it is true. And 1 PH uses a blaser while thousands do not. What exactly is the win for Blaser.

Blaser action has small parts and close tolerances. That means dirt will cause problems. You can rant but it is true. And 1 PH uses a blaser while thousands do not. What exactly is the win for Blaser.
You are absolutely correct.

Guys - keep an eye on the classifieds...I'm selling everything Blaser because of the tight tolerances.

Everything mechanical has limitations and I accept that there are tight tolerances on the Blaser R8. But condemning the entire design for ALL hunting is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater. As for your PH and the two R8's he saw jam...let's say I'll heed his caution and keep my action as clean as I can, but still hunt with what I choose.

Sorry guys, fire sale canceled.

You should get a Beretta BRX1 or a Blaser R8 for that matter. I'd enjoy hearing your first hand experiences on owning such a rifle, beyond just handling one at a shop or show.

... And 1 PH uses a blaser while thousands do not. What exactly is the win for Blaser.

That is mostly due to the cost and a bolt rifle being used at the beginning of a journey for most PHs. At the beginning of their learner PH journey they get whatever they can afford. As soon as it is affordable then most make the jump to a double.

So, a Blaser is just too expensive in a learner PH rifle when it is going to be resold or relegated to a backup/client rifle later in their career.

You can’t have everything. Precise tight fitting parts by nature don’t do well with foreign debris. Loose accommodating parts by nature are not precise.
If my life depended on a weapon, I would be tempted to clean the working parts every night (if they were dirty) whether it’s a Mauser, double rifle, R8, or AK47.

You can’t have everything. Precise tight fitting parts by nature don’t do well with foreign debris. Loose accommodating parts by nature are not precise.
If my life depended on a weapon, I would be tempted to clean the working parts every night (if they were dirty) whether it’s a Mauser, double rifle, R8, or AK47.
@Wyatt Smith
The military allows tolerance in their weapons so the operate in ALL conditions but you always see a soldier cleaning his weapons everyday to make sure they keep working. Their lives depend on it.
We hunters are a bit lazier. I didn't clean my Whelen until I got home from Namibia,
Bob

In a training class of 20 people with 20 rifles. I personally watched 17 of the rifles go down to where the bolts had to be removed and cleaned to be ran again. This was in a hour span of time. The 3 that had no problems, 1 AIAW, 1 AIAX, and 1 DPMS in 308. The rest were all types of 700 to full custom actions. Point is bolt actions go down too. Know your weapon, know your environment, know the correct procedures to keep it running. Meaning a dry lube in a dust environment will be better than grease or oil.

You obviously don't like the Blaser system. That's fine no one is making you buy one. If you believe better systems exist without trying one, that is your right. The funny thing is most people who don't like them have no real time with one. They repeat what they hear with no first hand knowledge. Just something I have observed watching threads like this unfold.

One thing to consider. Last year I cleaned my guns before leaving for Zimbabwe. At gun check I was shooting good groups but 6" or more low. It took 2 fouling shots per barrel before the groups moved up. This year I made sure I did the fouling shots at home.

Clean every day, and you just miss the shot at the trophy of the lifetime.

However a beratta brx1 seems to offer exactly the same features with the addition of a left/ right bolt.

Blaser R8 is available with right and left hand bolts and bolt heads.

Also, currently BRX1 is only available in 308, 30-06 and 300 Win mag vs R8 being available in tens of calibres starting at 17HMR and going all the way to 500 Jeffery. All possible in one rifle, requiring a barrel, bolt head and magazine insert change all up taking less than 2 minutes while maintaining scope zero.

Blaser R8 is available with right and left hand bolts and bolt heads.

Also, currently BRX1 is only available in 308, 30-06 and 300 Win mag vs R8 being available in tens of calibres starting at 17HMR and going all the way to 500 Jeffery. All possible in one rifle, requiring a barrel, bolt head and magazine insert change all up taking less than 2 minutes while maintaining scope zero.
You have buy another bolt. BRX1 bolt is reversible.

You have buy another bolt. BRX1 bolt is reversible.
True, but how often do you shift from being right-handed to left-handed?

True, but how often do you shift from being right-handed to left-handed?
So why is that an advantage for a blaser but not for a beretta. You blaser fan boys are funny.

I have handled and used a blaser and would use one for plainsgame, i quite like them apart from the plastic stock. Well made and versatile. But the original question was why do PHs not carry them.

Some say they are too expensive but i say that it is reliability.

I am too old to change will stick with my XKK602 Brno rifles for dg.....(bear in mind I am also still involved in culling and pac work)

For plains game however I have been longing for a new companion.....

K ultra

9.3x74R/7x57R Bergstutzen(yes they will build one with7x57R)
7x65R/6.5×57R Bergstutzen
20ga/22 Hornet combination

1 receiver 3 barrel sets...

So why is that an advantage for a blaser but not for a beretta. You blaser fan boys are funny.

I have handled and used a blaser and would use one for plainsgame, i quite like them apart from the plastic stock. Well made and versatile. But the original question was why do PHs not carry them.

Some say they are too expensive but i say that it is reliability.
I find posts like yours amusing. You stated initially that you had “handled” a 7mm R8 and that you talked with a PH over a period of ten days. You have now handled and “used” one. No matter, with whatever your knowledge of the system, you conclude you are informed enough on the subject to state it is unreliable. Are you typing from a Holliday Inn as well?

You do realize that many of the people reading your posts are actual R8 owners with broad experience with the rifle? I personally own three configurations and six calibers. I have hunted with them pretty extensively in North America, Europe, and Africa to include a couple of buffalo. I have used them in rain and dust / swamp and desert. Several friends own and have used them even more extensively than I have. The rifle, in every case and regardless of configuration, has been utterly reliable and accurate.

With respect to other take down models, until they figure out how to get the trigger under the magazine allowing barrel scope mounting, they are not even a poor imitation of the R8’s real revolution in takedown design.

I have not said it was an advantage for one but not the other. I assumed from your post that you were not aware Blaser could be had in left-hand configuration and was simply trying to clarify it.

Also, I wouldn’t say I’m a Blaser fanboy. I do, however, have an R8 and have used it quite extensively in a variety of conditions. From snowy and cold North European winter, in temperatures around -30C, Australia’s outback with fine, red soil dust that gets everywhere, as well as in the middle of the muddy, sticky wet season in Australia’s top end with permanent rain and temperatures around 40C. I used it on everything from Rabbits to Water Buffalo and Scrub Bulls. The rifle never failed me. These days I barely use it as I mostly hunt with my single-shot and double rifles, but I do have complete trust in the reliability and accuracy of the R8.

Will a filthy rifle cease up eventually? No doubt, every rifle will, but I’d be far more worried about my double failing to close from dirt build-up than being unable to use an R8 in a similar state.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaggieBayl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!