dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
There are a whole lot of people, many of them PH's, who have downed a whole lot of elephant with the .375H&H and 300gr bullets. There are also a whole lot who have down the same with .416's and 400gr bullets. I think you have both, start practicing with both you'll sort it out. I understand there is a Plains Game and Dangerous shooting course in Texas put on be FTW.

Adrian

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
England year round and Namibia x5.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading all the threads on the Blaser R8. I own a Sauer 404 with barrels 300 Win Mag and 404 Jeffrey. Both guns are manufactured by the same Company and very similar to each other.
Now is my question...Please give your most honest opinion both Pro & Con on both guns and barrels from the Sauer and Blaser Group.
You could also add Mauser to those two as well because they all come from the same factory.
I have two Mausers so you can tell where my preference lies.
Blaser just don't do anything for me. Nothing against them at all, fine rifles, just not for me in terms of looks and I prefer the old school turn bolt.
Sauer are very pretty rifles, especially with a decent piece of wood but they are very thin for my taste, the fore end is too skinny. All of my shooting friends seem to have one which also puts me off, I like to be different. Do they work? Yes of course.
Mauser, I have two because they feel right to me and I appreciate their aesthetics more than the others. I prefer the fit and feel and the safety catches.
In terms of barrels, they all work. No matter which of the three makers you talk about, the barrels will all fit into their respective actions and will do what you want them to.
It's all down to personal preference. some prefer Blaser, some Sauer, some Mauser.
All from under the same roof, all are high quality firearms, all will do exactly as you want.

Inline6

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
That is exciting! In that amount of time you’ll have ample time to practice with both. Then when you wake up in the morning you can select the barrel that you feel most comfortable with.
The real question will be, does he still possess the same rifle in 16 months. Lol

Lobo

Reaction score
With the bolt closed on an R8 tap the bolt knob from the barrel end. It can dislodge enuogh not to go off in a DG situation. So if you are stalking in thick brush or you fall and your bolt is tapped i.e it hits something like a branch, that could render the rifle unusable in a hairy situation. An R8 is not a dg rifle. Excellent for everything else. Dont believe me... try it with your blaser and an empty chamber.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
With the bolt closed on an R8 tap the bolt knob from the barrel end. It can dislodge enuogh not to go off in a DG situation. So if you are stalking in thick brush or you fall and your bolt is tapped i.e it hits something like a branch, that could render the rifle unusable in a hairy situation. An R8 is not a dg rifle. Excellent for everything else. Dont believe me... try it with your blaser and an empty chamber.
That's funny because @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS uses a Blaser R8 as a PH backing up clients on DG on a regular basis. In fact, I believe he's even posted on this thread that he uses an R8 in 416RM almost exclusively for this purpose. You better tell him that his life is in imminent danger and that he shouldn't go in the bush for fear of his bolt being pushed back.

Oh wait, that's right, the bolt can't be pushed back with the cocking device de-cocked. Whew...that was close. Tragedy narrowly averted. Had me worried there for a second.

The bolt (on any rifle) can only be moved if the safety (or in the case of the R8 a cocking device) is in the fire position. If the safety is on, the bolt is locked. So this scenario you have presented is true of any rifle, not just the R8. If the safety is off, the bolt can be moved taking the rifle out of battery and preventing a shot.

So how is this specific to the Blaser R8?

Last edited:

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I have read stories of people being injured by game after their Winchester model 70 didn’t fire. It was later found out that they had the safety in the position that does not lock the bolt, and the bolt handle lifted slightly.
If you use it as it was designed to be used, no trouble.
Apparently, as @BeeMaa pointed out. The Blaser is the same.

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I should be more clear. He was carrying the rifle with the safety in the middle position. (Still on safe, but the bolt is not locked) When the Buffalo charged, he pushed the safety to fire and pulled the trigger, the rifle did fire because the bolt handle was up.
All I remember from the article was that it was a Winchester model 70 458 win mag.
I tried my New Haven. CRF model 70 and the safety would not go to “fire” with the bolt handle up. However my pre 64 model 70 would.

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Media
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
any rifle this could happen too
on any normal bolt action rifle if you knock the bolt ( with your hand or a branch as you say slightly upward it wont fire, thus rendering it "unusable" as you said
so all rifles are designed with same set of safety parameters which all must be fully in place for the rifle to fire
this does not make any rifle any less "usable" then another for any situation, be it dangerous game or not.

so with the bolt closed, tap it in an upward position from the trigger direction. it will dislodge enough not to go off. so if you are stalking in thick brush or you fall and your bolt is tapped ie it hits something like a branch that could render the rifle unusable in a hairy situation. a winchester/sauer/sako/cz/voere/etcetc is not a dg rifle. blah blah blah you get my point

regards

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
any rifle this could happen too

so with the bolt closed, tap it in an upward position from the trigger direction. it will dislodge enough not to go off. so if you are stalking in thick brush or you fall and your bolt is tapped ie it hits something like a branch that could render the rifle unusable in a hairy situation. a winchester/sauer/sako/cz/voere/etcetc is not a dg rifle. blah blah blah you get my point
Not to mention, if one is stalking through the bush etc. I'd assume the safety would be on and therefore the bolt is locked in place.

Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.tallyho.co.za
Media
Member of
SCI, PHASA, SA Wingshooters
too true

and on a blaser, your thumb would be on the cocking mechanism ready to push it forward

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
The most dangerous situation for the R8 haters is, when they touch a R8 first time.

Most of them are turned around for the rest of their life....

Those who know this, avoid contact and rather cultivate their prejudice.

:cool:

HWL

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I can see an R8 as a decent PG rifle. For me, I have better options for DG.

Edit: One thing that would be really neat for Blaser is if they had a shotgun barrel for the R8. Done with your hunt, change to your 20 gauge barrel and shoot some birds while in Africa. They could put a high rib on the shotgun barrel to compensate for the comb height.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathaleenB

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?