Black Wildebeest vs. Blue Wildebeest

Even if you go back many times, the chances are that most places will not offer blacks while almost everyone will have blues. If for no other reason than that, I would take advantage of a black if you have the opportunity. A blue will likely be easy enough to get on a later trip. Yes, there WILL be a later trip.... I do also agree that the blacks are a more interesting animal in both looks and behavior.

This mirrors my thinking exactly, if I could only take one on my upcoming trip I would prioritize the black. A cull black is actually included in my package but I will likely upgrade and I plan on trying to take either a cull or trophy blue to go with it. For me also, the relative rarity of black wildebeest mounts(either shoulder or euro) makes for a more interesting trophy.

My personal choice is blue. Tougher and bigger
Inyeresting thing is black wildebeest are endemic to south africa. So if you are taking one i hope its in SA. They were brought back from near extinction and now thrive in big numbers
Regards

If you're going to constrain me like that, I'll say take the first mature trophy that presents itself to you. Without such constraints I'd say take enough money to cover the trophy fee for an extra animal and take both. Quite certain the outfitter will be quite pleased to grant your request.

I couldn't agree more.

My first African animal was actually a blue wildebeest and I was thrilled with taking that trophy. However, nothing prepared me for the challenge of hunting the fast moving black wildebeest. He made an excellent trophy to go along with my blue and the red heartebeest taken the same day! So take what the Bush gives you.

View attachment 222533
Great trophies!

Take the mature animal that comes your way first.
If the chance that both are there it's going to be a tough choice.
The Blue definitely has the African appeal because it's so widely known and seen on television documentaries.
On the flip side, not so many folk have seen a Black so it will intrigue people more when they see it and ask more about it.
The wonderful sweeping horns and the bizarre tuft on the muzzle make it so different from any of the other antelope.
I've hunted both and if I were to choose right now, I would go for the Black again before the Blue.
IMG_20180424_123525_898.jpg
IMG_20160925_121921.jpg

Blue, just love the brindled hide

You win a 5-day trophy hunt, all expenses paid including travel, to hunt three animals in Africa. One is Impala (because this is my thread and I think Impala are beautiful), one is plains Zebra and the other is Wildebeest. You are not allowed to take anything else.

The only kicker is, the concession you'll be hunting on has both Black and Blue Wildebeest, and the outfitter doesn't care which you take, as long as it is only one.

What is your preference and why? Please try not to use what you already have and don't have in the trophy room to influence your answer. Let's assume you have neither and you won't be going back to Africa.

Since beginning my research, I am really starting to appreciate Wildebeest more than I did before. I thought this exercise might give me better perspective on the possibility of me taking one or the other (or neither) on my trip.

Thanks!!
Seatlesettler
On my Namibian hunt one of our hunters took both. I only wet for the black, I did want a blue but the opportunity didn't arise. Very happy with my black wildebeest, very regal but confused animal. Doesn't know if it's a horse or a buffalo.
20191105_120356.jpg

IMG_20190908_171338_1.jpg

seattlesetters,

Out of curiosity....which wildebeests did you end up hunting on your trip?

In 2018, I was able to shoot both a blue and a black, he price for a golden wasn't in my budget.

In 2020, I'm considering going for another, maybe blue wildebeest....just because I like the stripping in the hide.....but the black wildebeest has that coloring in it's mane and the hair tuff's on its face and neck... decisions... decisions??

Have you posted a hunt report?

For me it is the blue, I perfer to stalk in close with a double.

I asked my wife and she said all of them, and is planning on a Niassa WB this year and a golden in 2021. But based on your criteria she said the black based on it crazy behaviour. She shot both the black and blue in 2018.

seattlesetters,

In 2018, I was able to shoot both a blue and a black, he price for a golden wasn't in my budget.

In 2020, I'm considering going for another, maybe blue wildebeest....just because I like the stripping in the hide.....but the black wildebeest has that coloring in it's mane and the hair tuff's on its face and neck... decisions... decisions??

Rim

seattlesetters,

Ridge runner
Where and how do you post a hunt report. Still figuring all this forum stuff out mate

Bob Nelson 35Whelen

(n)(n):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....I'm still trying to figure out the simplest way......

Using my phone....
I go to home.....then to (topic: ie reloading or general chat)....HIGH TITLE....type in a title..(ie (In your instance) grand babe first elk hunt or however you wish to title it),,
....HIGH LITE the description/message box,...then type in..... information....., then in the next box.....type in ie Hunt Report, General Chat, any/all titles from the forum page that might draw responses...then hit post reply box.....

To include photos, I press the icon button above, next to the smiley face,( the one that looks like a portrait,... hope it gets me to my photos.....and insert photos....

I'm sure there's a better way, need to ask Brickburn or any one of the administrators.

Last edited:
My reasoning may be bizarre but mind you I have only been to Africa once and this one experience is why I have this reasoning. I'm sure others have experienced these animals in very different situations and environments.

I'm all about the hunt. For example my blesbok is one of my favorite trophy's from Africa because I was at 8500ft above sea level climbing mountain sides chasing them like a mountain goat. For me mountain hiking, long range shooting is my wheel house. It's what I love in a hunt.

When I hunted the blue beast on my last trip. I found it kinda boring. The herd was down in the valley and I simply waited for a bull to seperate himself from the group. Because that was the toughest part about hunting them. They clump up and you obviously don't want to hit multiple animals. I sat on a ledge about 300 yards or so away and just waited in the scope until the one we wanted posed for a shot. Again I'm sure this was just my experience and others have very different one.

As per blacks which I did not get a chance to hunt. But did see them on more then one occasion. They were up the mountain constantly moving. That is my kinda hunt. Next time for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois