Nhoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Hi All, Little bit of Fun at our local range on Sunday. About 14 competitors- 6 shots to count. First video is the course. Basic idea is first shot is the target to the right of the 'charging lion'. That starts the 'lion' charging for you second shot. Then two targets to the left-reload and two shoots far right. Second video is someone doing the shoot with a 500 nitro double. Last video is me shooting, filmed by my young son (so please excuse the filming !) So we had a good time and competition always brings out a bit of pressure and a chance to have a laugh. A few triggers were straightened, quite a few people were eaten by the lion (the shooting position is run over by the charging sled !)

My thought, too! :unsure:

vids dont work!

-matt

Looks like a fun exercise / simulation.

It was good fun and very interesting. So I have done a shoot for my license with that same 'lion charge'. They give you 2 repetitions and I hit the black bull twice. This time, I had to reload from the first shot and then focus on the 'lion'. I shot under missing the 10 " target completely-just a bit of pressure and you see a difference in your shooting. Whole bunch of guys and 1 girls did the shoot. Two best shooters do a fair bit of practical pistol so I think their head was in the game.

The more I see these shoots, the more I believe that it starts with your head- get your brain to act without panic. Number two is practice gun handling- shooting offhand,reloading, swinging the gun,dry firing.

So I ended up with the 3rd best score courtesy of a missed lion and 4 th or 5th on time courtesy of a jam (free ammo-I am such a cheapass !)

I think this kind of thing is very valuable in preparing for a hunt. You may shoot off the sticks but practice offhand.

Looks like a lot of fun, what are they running to move the sled?

The sled is a very light steel tube and plate setup. The pulling mechanism is inside a steel orange box so you cant easily see inside but I had a good look because we want to make it go faster. So it is powered by a car starter motor- 12V. I could see a chain drive which just runs a simple drum that winds up the rope and drags the sled. Very simple, someone handy could probably make it up quite easily.

Thanks, that sounds like it works well for a moving target, wonder if you could change the gearing to make it go faster.

Because it is in a box, cant make the drum bigger. I am sure between the motor and the drum is a chain drive so changing sprockets should be easy. but the guys at the range want to make it more powerful to pull a bigger target. The air resistance is fairly significant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg