Big bore recoil

https://chuckhawks.com/compared_rifle_shotgun_recoil.htmlFor me, recoil management is like golf. Its all about what's between your ears(OMG this is gonna hurt! or not) and your set up before you ever pull the trigger. see attached videos. same rifle. 505 Gibbs same load. 2 different shooters...... 2 vastly different outcomes.
seriously its like getting to Carnegie Hall....practice practice practice!
Look at the recoil table for a 12G SHOTGUN firing a 3.5 inch turkey load which is usually fired from the seated position often with the shooter's backrest being an oak tree (but hopefully not his shoulder lol)
P.S. I have one of the PAST Recoil pads I purchased but never used. PM me and you can have it for free if you would like it. its still in the plastic wrap taking up space in my shop

Attachments

• IMG-4989.MOV.zip
    12.7 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4990.MOV.zip
    14.5 MB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I don't claim to be a big bore expert - but I have a friend who shoots a 470 NE. At first he was a little discouraged because it would leave him with a headache and bruises. However, he persisted by shooting maybe 6 rounds with each trip to the range and within 6 months he was shooting it with confidence. He really likes it now.

Personally, I would not skip the 375 H&H. It's an incredibly versatile cartridge with more available and less expensive ammunition and components for practice. It can also be your second rifle when you go on your dangerous game hunt if you choose to use a big bore.

Personally, I would not skip the 375 H&H. It's an incredibly versatile cartridge with more available and less expensive ammunition and components for practice. It can also be your second rifle when you go on your dangerous game hunt if you choose to use a big bore.
Wiser words were never spoken!
Every Africa hunter should own at least one 375 H&H or its equivalent.
Heck, if an Africa hunter has something in the 30-06 and 375 classes, they should be good to go!
Of course after acquiring those, then they should consider a 416 or 404, and something in .45 caliber or larger! :)

also keep in mind you do not have to shoot 500 gr bullets with the great copper bullets out there now. I found that the recoil off the bench with my 458 shooting 404 gr Hammer bullets at 2460 fps is a lot nicer than 450 gr Barnes bullets at 2325 fps so the Hammers are what I will shoot on my next trip in April

A bunch of good comments to review above.

i would go with.
stock fit
Weight of the rifle being well balanced.
Practice shooting standing up.
I might add that shooting off a bench you will notice the recoil more.
And if you are shooting off a bench wear safety goggles and double hearing protection.

As mentioned if you are shooting a double rifle and it doubles, that is a real eye opener And if you do it 2 times in a row. A double eye opener and you may be done for the day. Do not ask me how i know.

Large rifles, after you have it on paper where you want it, continue to practice, however do it standing up and shooting off shooting sticks, Or off hand at 25 to 50 yard targets.

Another suggestion is to try a Falcon Strike hydraulic recoil pad. I have one and think it is very effective in helping to manage recoil.

Correct posture , good techniques when reloading as fast as you are able to shoot the .458 WM , following through when pulling the trigger looking precisely where you aimed at, and shooting from hunting sticks at realistic distances of at least 50m from you target . That is how you learn to shoot a .458 WM or any hunting rifle lager than a .375 H&H Magnum rifle.

A big bore hunting rifle is not a target rifle at all..it is a practical tool to hunt dangerous game animals and have to be practice to perfection to achieve the relevant skills of shooting this rifle.

Decide on a load that will ensure deep penetration and focus on shot placement in regards to the dangerous game animal you are going to hunt. If possible construct your own life size targets to enable you to mimic the situation you will be in when approaching your Dangerous game animal you will be hunting.

5x rounds at a shooting practice is more than enough , just make sure you have ample time to follow this program before embarking on your safari.

The rest of the time you can spend on trigger pull, following through and breathing with a light weight caliber rifle. Using a .22 caliber really assist in following through and breathing. Working up to your 30-.06 gives you more insight in managing your technique and absorbing recoil. Practice, practice and try to enjoy it when you are shooting, do not stay too long on a shooting range and then try to shoot as many shots as you are able to handle..it will not improve your big bore shooting skills at all.

Having a .375/404/.458 caliber rifle ...it means I have to shoot them frequently to enjoy them thoroughly ...I do have a lot of opportunity to shoot these big bores on shooting ranges...and I do shoot them a lot so recoil is not a challenge for me ...

also keep in mind you do not have to shoot 500 gr bullets with the great copper bullets out there now. I found that the recoil off the bench with my 458 shooting 404 gr Hammer bullets at 2460 fps is a lot nicer than 450 gr Barnes bullets at 2325 fps so the Hammers are what I will shoot on my next trip in April

Let us know how they do. I'm running the 450 Barnes in my Lott and like them alot but to the recoil impulse. I'm curious as to how the 404gr Hammer bullets perform.

You just can't put lipstick on a pig and call it a 'safari' rifle.

The manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, offered up a .375 H&H that was waay too light, stock geometry all wrong, and a butt too narrow. And a buddy then bought it and fired some factory ammo through it. Then he asked me what was he doing wrong because it hurt so much.

I told him he's not doing too much wrong, and to prove it I had him shoot mine. I gave him a few pointers and then told him it's gonna take a whole lotta lipstick to fix that rifle of his, or start over, now with what he's learned.

He went with plan B and is now a Happy Camper.

Let us know how they do. I'm running the 450 Barnes in my Lott and like them alot but to the recoil impulse. I'm curious as to how the 404gr Hammer bullets perform.
reports I have read is that they have been great on water buffalo, cape buff and at 2500fps shoot flat enough for plains game out to 300 yards.with 1.5 in high at 50 yards 200 yard hits on steel targets are easy but at 50 yards broke my 1/2 AR500 steel plate. looking forward to taking them next month

Decades ago when I decided to use serious big bore rifles in Africa here is what worked for me. I resolved to go to the range more often, a couple times a week every week. Not gritting my teeth and banging away hard a couple weeks before an African safari. Range shooting often but shooting less ammo. A couple rounds interspersed with dry firing focus on follow through trigger pull, then a couple magazines of 22 long rifle. Evenings, dry firing off sticks in my back yard. Again sight picture follow through until the sight picture does not jump around on trigger pull. Then back to range for a few rounds. Make sure the rifle fits and the bolt knob does not rap your knuckle. Patience and repetition. My shoulder does not bother me in fact I use knee pads on my elbows when working up loads on the bench. Be sure and practice cycling up rounds from a full magazine. Big bore cartridges are long and chambering efficiently takes much practice. Also fire full magazines to see if your floor plate pops open upon recoil. Pretty embarrassing to see your rounds on on the ground when your buff is running away……or toward you. This has worked for me. Kindest Regards.

oh, I have killed lots of buffalo and elephant. Lots

As many others have already said, the design of the rifle's stock, the stock's fit to the shooter, and the shooter's ability to manage recoil make a huge difference in the felt recoil. I have nothing new to add to that; rather just to add my experiences with stock design. All three of my Browning Safari Grades seem to have a high recoil energy relative to their respective calibers. Something about that stock design seems to deliver every ounce of energy into the soul of the shooter. ;-).

Also, my dad had a custom 270 Win. built on a surplus Mauser action with a Douglas Air Gauge barrel for my grandfather back in the early 70's; and the geometry and sharp lines of the Monte Carlo stock just seemed to really punish you with recoil. Needless to say, I make regular use of my PAST recoil pads. :)

I am no expert but what worked for me in preparation for last years buf hunt was all learned from this forum because here in Mt nobody shoots 375 or above.
1 determined my length of pull
2 shot my new 10lb 375 hh 5 rounds at a time
3 snugged the rifle to my shoulder
4 shot always from standing position and let my body rock back with the shot.

About round number 50 recoil was less bothersome and I starting practicing a fast follow up shot.
These things worked for me !

Decades ago when I decided to use serious big bore rifles in Africa here is what worked for me. I resolved to go to the range more often, a couple times a week every week. Not gritting my teeth and banging away hard a couple weeks before an African safari. Range shooting often but shooting less ammo. A couple rounds interspersed with dry firing focus on follow through trigger pull, then a couple magazines of 22 long rifle. Evenings, dry firing off sticks in my back yard. Again sight picture follow through until the sight picture does not jump around on trigger pull. Then back to range for a few rounds. Make sure the rifle fits and the bolt knob does not rap your knuckle. Patience and repetition. My shoulder does not bother me in fact I use knee pads on my elbows when working up loads on the bench. Be sure and practice cycling up rounds from a full magazine. Big bore cartridges are long and chambering efficiently takes much practice. Also fire full magazines to see if your floor plate pops open upon recoil. Pretty embarrassing to see your rounds on on the ground when your buff is running away……or toward you. This has worked for me. Kindest Regards.

oh, I have killed lots of buffalo and elephant. Lots
Miles, to save you some embarrassment when a magazine floor plate opens up and dump all your rounds on your feet , get yourself a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer, their rotary magazine does not have the Mauser type receiver magazine floor plate problem :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Miles, to save you some embarrassment when a magazine floor plate opens up and dump all your rounds on your feet , get yourself a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer, their rotary magazine does not have the Mauser type receiver magazine floor plate problem :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
That’s true. Duct tape will solve the problem but looks pretty tacky!

Mercury recoil reducer in butt stock. The 458 and the Lott have a sharp recoil... the Lott having one of the fastest accelerations. Rigby... if loaded with slow powder has a major boost in recoil from rocket blast of propellant mass. I use H4350 and that cuts down perceived recoil. The 470 is a big push... again ..use RL15 to 4350 powders. 375H&H is just fine with medium powders like 4046 and 2400 fps with the 300 grain bullet. The 9.3 x 64 is a puddy-tat.

Try using muzzle brake. A friend has a 30-378 Weatherby with factory brake that kicks less than my 30-06. We also got to shoot his 270mag, and 300 Weatherby mags with brakes. While shooting at the range on bags the cross hairs never move from target even with the 30-378. One suggestion though - buy a good set of ear plugs as any gun with a brake will be very loud.

Recoil management is vastly mental and the rest is technique. It's very possible for you to learn how to manage larger calibers with the tips stated above. Whatever you do, if you start flinching you'll need to start over and drop down in caliber to something like a .22LR quickly, or it'll impact you shooting other calibers you're used to.

Personally one of my favorite rifles to shoot is a M70 .375 H&H. I find it more enjoyable to shoot than most 300WM's, and have zero issues shooting it from a bench. Conversely I took have shot a .270 and a .30-06 that I absolutely couldn't stand. Again, I think a lot of it was mental and I didn't use good technique since it was "only" a .270 or .30-06.

One of the things that I think helped me is I love Turkey Hunting. I've always shot 3.5" shells regardless of if it was in my old Mossberg 835 or my Benelli Super Black Eagle. The only time I don't shoot 3.5" Shells is when I've killed a bird and I've switched to the .410. Over the last 8 years I've spent a lot of time, and a small fortune at the range patterning my 12ga guns with different shells, and different chokes. Now when I'm patterning, I'm almost always shooting off a bench, and taking 3 shots per choke/load. When I first started, I'd almost always sit to pattern the gun so my body could roll with the recoil. After time I quickly became used to it and can now sit at a bench with no issues. I've even had some range sessions that have been upwards of 75 or 100 shots to check pattern densities between different chokes at a variety of differences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg