Big Bore Addiction Group

Welcome @BourbonTrail That is one of my favorite rifle/caliber combos! I recommend using the 300gr TSX over H4895.

9 shots and your shoulder hurt? Where you shooting from the bench? If so, then stop that silly behavior and practice from a tripod.

-Matt

It started with a Ruger African in .416 ruger, and it has only picked up speed from there. There is no helping me:
Sako Brown Bear .450 Rigby
Sako Brown Bear .375 H&H
Sako Kodiak .375 H&H
Mossberg Patriot .375 Ruger
Sauer .404 Jeffery
Krieghoff .470 NE

Anyone know where I can find a Ruger Alaskan in .375 ruger? Or a CZ-550 in .458 lott?

Bourbon Trail, were you using factory ammo or "home brew?" I got a similar rifle recently and loaded it up with 83 Gr. of H4350. Groups were under an inch and recoil wasn't all that bad. It did get my attention though.

Welcome @BourbonTrail That is one of my favorite rifle/caliber combos! I recommend using the 300gr TSX over H4895.

9 shots and your shoulder hurt? Where you shooting from the bench? If so, then stop that silly behavior and practice from a tripod.

-Matt
Bourbon Trail, were you using factory ammo or "home brew?" I got a similar rifle recently and loaded it up with 83 Gr. of H4350. Groups were under an inch and recoil wasn't all that bad. It did get my attention though.
@matt85 - I shot 5-6 offhand, but I shot some from the bench to get a better idea of zero. I didn’t have a tall enough sandbag or any kind of lead sled, so the bench was definitely the rough way to shoot. (I forgot my shooting sticks, and my range is 1 1/2 hours away). Next time sticks will be used, but offhand was fun.

@Shootist43 - my ammo was factory Nosler (cheapest ammo I could find to start). I haven’t bothered to look for reloading supplies yet, but I will definitely buying a set of dies soon and start hunting around for powders/primers whenever they start to show up again.
image.jpg

Welcome to the club enjoy it !!

@matt85 - I shot 5-6 offhand, but I shot some from the bench to get a better idea of zero. I didn’t have a tall enough sandbag or any kind of lead sled, so the bench was definitely the rough way to shoot. (I forgot my shooting sticks, and my range is 1 1/2 hours away). Next time sticks will be used, but offhand was fun.

@Shootist43 - my ammo was factory Nosler (cheapest ammo I could find to start). I haven’t bothered to look for reloading supplies yet, but I will definitely buying a set of dies soon and start hunting around for powders/primers whenever they start to show up again.
View attachment 420581
Gotta love ammunition that reminds you not to forget your PH when hunting DG. "Our ammo's really good, but don't forget to take a buddy!"
Yep it says it on the .458 Lott boxes too. Is there a point when Nosler thinks that you've brought enough gun?

Morning, I think I now qualify for this group. Before I found AfricaHunting.com I had bought a .375 Ruger Hawkeye FTW for a possible bear/moose hunt. After my time on the forum reading about the rifles many of you carry to Africa, I decided I needed a 9.3x62, a .375H&H and a .416 Rigby. Bourbon and GunBroker were involved. I wanted to blame the enablers on this forum but I accept the consequences of my own actions. Now have too many choices for safari.

Welcome to the club! Whiskey and gun broker have landed me a "few" extra guns over the years.

-Matt

It’s not the 1 scotch, 1 bourbon or 1 beer, it’s the “PEER PRESSURE” of the enablers on this forum! Their never ending yarns of power and struggle, big bolt actions and double rifles, it goes on and on and on. Oops got to go my bid is going to expire!

Count me in!....been off the wagon since my teen years with Dads .458 ! I try and try but just can't resist! Heck with the "Beer" calibers like 458 & 500...I am on the "crack" with likes of 600,700s and 4 bore!!

Last edited:
I too share the addiction. Mine started when I read J.A. Hunters book "Hunter" when I was somewhere around 10 or 12 years old. There is no cure!

I still NEED an 8 bore paradox gun... Cal let me shoot his a few years ago and it hasnt left my mind since. The 1250gr Paradox slugs at around 1500fps from a well balanced double gun left me needing more of it!

-matt

Does anyone have info on the 500 Battleship cartridge? I saw a rifle on GB the other day that was chambered for it. The only thing I could find in a quick search was that there have been dies made for it. Just curious

Does anyone have info on the 500 Battleship cartridge? I saw a rifle on GB the other day that was chambered for it. The only thing I could find in a quick search was that there have been dies made for it. Just curious
The .500 Battleship is a .416 rigby cut off at the shoulder. 647 grain Barnes at 2,350 FPS. Gun was made by GA Precision. All according to a post on where snipers sit from 2010.

The .500 Battleship is a .416 rigby cut off at the shoulder. 647 grain Barnes at 2,350 FPS. Gun was made by GA Precision. All according to a post on where snipers sit from 2010.
Thank you sir. I must have missed that somewhere. The rifle I saw was indeed made by GA Precision on a CZ 550 action.

Thank you sir. I must have missed that somewhere. The rifle I saw was indeed made by GA Precision on a CZ 550 action.
You're welcome. It was difficult to find, but an enjoyable search. It was my third search that found anything ".500 Battleship rifle cartridge". That was the information I found also about the CZ 550 action. Seems to me that if such a rifle doesn't come with the dies...it's of diminished utility. I also saw something about 750 grain ammunition but it was a dead GB link.

You're welcome. It was difficult to find, but an enjoyable search. It was my third search that found anything ".500 Battleship rifle cartridge". That was the information I found also about the CZ 550 action. Seems to me that if such a rifle doesn't come with the dies...it's of diminished utility. I also saw something about 750 grain ammunition but it was a dead GB link.
I’ve always been intrigued by oddball cartridges but you’re definitely right. My interest ends at no dies and no properly head stamped brass or the difficulty of acquiring both

I’ve always been intrigued by oddball cartridges but you’re definitely right. My interest ends at no dies and no properly head stamped brass or the difficulty of acquiring both
My interest in odd rifles stopped at the .458 Lott. I'm happy in the land of available projectiles so I can go and shoot it regularly.

It started with a Ruger African in .416 ruger, and it has only picked up speed from there. There is no helping me:
Sako Brown Bear .450 Rigby
Sako Brown Bear .375 H&H
Sako Kodiak .375 H&H
Mossberg Patriot .375 Ruger
Sauer .404 Jeffery
Krieghoff .470 NE

Anyone know where I can find a Ruger Alaskan in .375 ruger? Or a CZ-550 in .458 lott?
Wow, your in deep! May I suggest some counseling? And NOT from any of the Big Bore yahoos (enablers) on here. Ha! Ha! Ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.