Big Bore Addiction Group

This thread is too funny to let die... So necromancy time!

I now shoot an 85 caliber rifle every weekend! My addiction has gone into it's finals stages... I'm past helping and only limited by my physical ability to absorb recoil.
I thought this thread stopped because, everyone was cured! Or, maybe, everyone got a 35 Whelen and realized that you don’t need anything else. :A Whistle:

I always wanted a 460 wby. BUT in CRF.
FINALY took possession of that.
Here it is

Beautiful rifle a work of art, the old Mag-na port is under rated I think, I have shot a .460 Weatherby & .450 Rigby both have significant recoil & it might help a bit !

Has it been shot much as Id love to know how those Take off rings have will hold up to that level of recoil, only the one top screw & small shaft on the lever ?

I thought this thread stopped because, everyone was cured! Or, maybe, everyone got a 35 Whelen and realized that you don’t need anything else. :A Whistle:
My body and bank account wish I was cured! But for some reason I keep buying/trading into bigger guns. I've owned plenty of guns in 'reasonable' cartridges... In the end they all get sold.

I found my limit was a gun so large that if I went to a larger cartridge, I wouldn't be able to shoot it off-hand. 16.5 pounds is about all I can freely shoot without support or a new gym routine. :E Rofl:

My body and bank account wish I was cured! But for some reason I keep buying/trading into bigger guns. I've owned plenty of guns in 'reasonable' cartridges... In the end they all get sold.

I found my limit was a gun so large that if I went to a larger cartridge, I wouldn't be able to shoot it off-hand. 16.5 pounds is about all I can freely shoot without support or a new gym routine. :E Rofl:

I bet that is true, that's why they invented Shooting Sticks, I have a 15lb 12bore rifle like a Super Express 12bore & I have found it hard to shoot off hand after a bit of a walk, need to get the shot off fairly quickly !

Tolley 12Bore & Big Goat .jpg

My name is PCC and I need help . My big bore addiction is getting worse - fast .
It covers a range currently restricted to :
600NE Farquharson falling block
500NE JA Shirley double with rising bite and snap action underlever
505 Gibbs made by Bob de Vries on a Dumoulin magnum action.
450 Rigby PH
425WR takedown with extended magazine
425WR with flunk magazine and QD scope
416 Rigby Big Game with peep sight
404 J a Mauser Type A with magnum action
450/400NE WR sidelock double rifle
450/400NE Ruger No1 with Aimpoint sight
375 H&H belted magnum CZ 550 Safari Classic - scoped
375 H&H flanged magnum Royal double
Currently have another 505 being built by Bob de Vries using GMA action and Krieger barrels .
Thought I had kicked the habit when I sold my 458 Lott Ruger Safari Magnum but then ordered a 500 NE Rigby Shikari and bought a Purdey double in 303 . Now circling a WR Super Magnum Explora with detachable locks .
Somebody help me ( get more of these things )

My name is PCC and I need help . My big bore addiction is getting worse - fast .
It covers a range currently restricted to :
600NE Farquharson falling block
500NE JA Shirley double with rising bite and snap action underlever
505 Gibbs made by Bob de Vries on a Dumoulin magnum action.
450 Rigby PH
425WR takedown with extended magazine
425WR with flunk magazine and QD scope
416 Rigby Big Game with peep sight
404 J a Mauser Type A with magnum action
450/400NE WR sidelock double rifle
450/400NE Ruger No1 with Aimpoint sight
375 H&H belted magnum CZ 550 Safari Classic - scoped
375 H&H flanged magnum Royal double
Currently have another 505 being built by Bob de Vries using GMA action and Krieger barrels .
Thought I had kicked the habit when I sold my 458 Lott Ruger Safari Magnum but then ordered a 500 NE Rigby Shikari and bought a Purdey double in 303 . Now circling a WR Super Magnum Explora with detachable locks .
Somebody help me ( get more of these things )
PCC: You own a .600NE? You are a lucky guy (and Strong-Tough-Macho)..at the Top of the “Man Club” heap. I thought I was in that “Man Club” when I bought my Chapuis .470 but on my first afternoon in Camp (in TZ) I met a PH as he was leaving the Camp (taking the same plane I flew in - back out). He is fairly well known and shoots a .600NE (quit well too). He saw my double and commented “Nice rifle” I said “Thanks, it’s a .470” to which he replied “That’s a good caliber —— for a Woman” !!

PCC: You own a .600NE? You are a lucky guy (and Strong-Tough-Macho)..at the Top of the “Man Club” heap. I thought I was in that “Man Club” when I bought my Chapuis .470 but on my first afternoon in Camp (in TZ) I met a PH as he was leaving the Camp (taking the same plane I flew in - back out). He is fairly well known and shoots a .600NE (quit well too). He saw my double and commented “Nice rifle” I said “Thanks, it’s a .470” to which he replied “That’s a good caliber —— for a Woman” !!
Not sure about strong or macho more lik old and broken down . I do like big bores . The first rifle I ever owned was a 458 Lott so never knew better - consequently no flinch . I shoot them all regularly . Really enjoy camaraderie at the range or in the hunting camp .

This place is full of enablers, and they love to see you spend your money. I'm a rookie with two 375 H&H, and one 416 Rem Mag. I'm trying to figure out how to either sell a kidney, blood, sperm, sell something so I can buy a 416 Rigby from @krish.

I also own a DR caliber 600 Nitro Express, but I don't really know for what to use such a thing.
Grand venue: — YOU “don’t really know What to use such a thing”?? Seriously?
Here’s the reason -—- Because most Men Don’t….AND Women Can’t !! Now, as for me - I can barely handle my little .470NE so I’m just “All talk” but I admire those that can shoot well with the Real Men !!

Grand venue: — YOU “don’t really know What to use such a thing”?? Seriously?
Here’s the reason -—- Because most Men Don’t….AND Women Can’t !! Now, as for me - I can barely handle my little .470NE so I’m just “All talk” but I admire those that can shoot well with the Real Men !!

The big bore double rifle is a relic from a time when they were the best for big game hunting. The more modern bolt action rifles, especially this caliber 416 Rigby but also this caliber 404 Jeffery or 425 Westley Richards, have due to their comparable efficiency replaced them. That's my problem because I also own other big bore rifles with which I have shot most of my buffalos and elephants. I am in the same situation as the hunters of the beginning of the 20th century, except that I have not hunted before at the end of the 19th century with the rifles that were in use at the time, meant double rifles above all caliber 577 Nitro Express. By the way, there is also a DR caliber 577 Nitro Express in my gun-safe.

The big bore double rifle is a relic from a time when they were the best for big game hunting. The more modern bolt action rifles, especially this caliber 416 Rigby but also this caliber 404 Jeffery or 425 Westley Richards, have due to their comparable efficiency replaced them. That's my problem because I also own other big bore rifles with which I have shot most of my buffalos and elephants. I am in the same situation as the hunters of the beginning of the 20th century, except that I have not hunted before at the end of the 19th century with the rifles that were in use at the time, meant double rifles above all caliber 577 Nitro Express. By the way, there is also a DR caliber 577 Nitro Express in my gun-safe.
Grand veneur: You have a nice collection of very fine caliber rifles - even if you Never fire one again they must bring you some “Joy”. I like “function & efficiency“ bur Admire Form & Tradition and when you combine Form & Function - can’t be beat.

Oops forgot to report in with my cz 550 416 rigby...it arrived just before Christmas with a bunch of rifles I had sent from Paul where they had been in storage for years...I bought this off holts auction site...it was in the unsold lots after the main sale...was a few years ago but only paid gbp 500.00 for it....when it was delivered to Paul from holts he told me its brand new don't think its even been fired... :A Thumbs Up:

Screenshot_20240218_142819_Photos.jpg

So now have a matching pair...this and my 500 jeffery which I did confess to a few years ago

Screenshot_20240313_142053_Photos.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimber12N1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH