BFR 454 Casull

Further to ADI powder production; they allegedly built a special factory of the "other" side of the (Murray) River especially for faster burning, dual-base powders. Humidity in storage areas allegedly nixed the operation; besides, as already said, the US gets priority over us ordinary Aussie shooters...

Hi Geoff. I don't believe the much cited 'humidity' was a factor at all. The commercial reality was that the pistol/shotgun powders were the only double base (nitro glycerine together with nitrocellulose) powders made by ADI.

The primary customers were originally the ADF for 9mm and Hodgdon for AP30 (Clays), AP50 (International), AP70 (Universal). The new facility was all about digital sampling and control systems. Around the same time they had the idea to move to new formulas, the APS range. This lost them the Hodgdon contract, as the APS powders insufficiently similar to the previous powders that Hodgdon's US customers demanded. As for ADF 9mm, ADI entered a contract with Olin for the 9mm to be made in the US and shipped to ADI for sale to the ADF.

The Australian commercial market isn't large enough (approx 2 tonnes per year) to justify the continued operation of the nitro glycerine plant (which itself was old and needing replacement), and so the whole production facility was mothballed.

If the Defence puts in a requirement for double base powders for any of their munitions, then the whole issue may get reassessed.

Hi Geoff. I don't believe the much cited 'humidity' was a factor at all. The commercial reality was that the pistol/shotgun powders were the only double base (nitro glycerine together with nitrocellulose) powders made by ADI.

The primary customers were originally the ADF for 9mm and Hodgdon for AP30 (Clays), AP50 (International), AP70 (Universal). The new facility was all about digital sampling and control systems. Around the same time they had the idea to move to new formulas, the APS range. This lost them the Hodgdon contract, as the APS powders insufficiently similar to the previous powders that Hodgdon's US customers demanded. As for ADF 9mm, ADI entered a contract with Olin for the 9mm to be made in the US and shipped to ADI for sale to the ADF.

The Australian commercial market isn't large enough (approx 2 tonnes per year) to justify the continued operation of the nitro glycerine plant (which itself was old and needing replacement), and so the whole production facility was mothballed.

If the Defence puts in a requirement for double base powders for any of their munitions, then the whole issue may get reassessed.
We live in hope, eh Mate??

Maybe Bob could make some homemade double base nitro glycerine powder in his reloading room and supply all of you in OZ with powder? Only a suggestion. LOL

Maybe Bob could make some homemade double base nitro glycerine powder in his reloading room and supply all of you in OZ with powder? Only a suggestion. LOL
Bob could make you a thermo-nuclear device out of bat guano and cheap rum, deliverable on a .35 Whelan warhead if he were properly motivated.
Mock him at your peril.

Bob could make you a thermo-nuclear device out of bat guano and cheap rum, deliverable on a .35 Whelan warhead if he were properly motivated.
Mock him at your peril.
@freefall.
I would never use cheap or inferior rum.
If it ain't Bundy it ain't rum.
Ha ha ha ha
Bob

Update on my BFR, when cleaning it last weekend I noticed the grooves in the cylinder were burred where the cylinder stop engages. I thought maybe the grooves in the cylinder were not deep enough, however my gunsmith seems to think its more the actual profile of the cylinder stop that's the issue. He seems to think the shape/profile of the cylinder stop is only engaging with the edge of the grooves in the cylinder causing them to bur over. He said he can fix this fairly easily with only about an hour of work which I am more than happy with so will hopefully have it back before next weekend.

Anyone else experienced this with their BFR? All though disappointing, I can honestly say this is still my favourite handgun, I love shooting this thing and cant wait to get it back from my gunsmith.

1675680602210.jpeg

Hi Aussie Hunter,

Your rear sight is raised enough that it may be at risk from a hard knock.
You may want to see if Magnum Research offers a lower front sight. If not you can carefully file it down to meet point of aim with your heaviest bullets (lower the rear first).

If you plan to switch to 300 grain bullets for hunting then you can probably leave it alone.

My gunsmith just text me, my BFR is ready to go. I've also been talking to BFR about the issue, great company and great guy to deal with, responded to me almost immediately and stands behind their product, couldn't be happier with the response I got from BFR.

I have been wanting one of these revolvers for years, finally got one towards the end of last year and I absolutely love it. Ended up going with the 454 Casull with a 7.5" barrel, it's great being able to shoot 45 Colt and 454 Casull through the same revolver. The 45 Colt ammo is great to shoot at indoor ranges when I don't feel like rattling my brain. I'm really impressed with the build quality of these firearms and also how well balanced it is given the size and weight of it.

The grips are a little bit thick for me but not sure it's that uncomfortable I need to look at changing them, I am going to spend some more time on the range with it before I go changing anything, so far I have only put around 100 rounds through it.

So far I have worked up 2 loads for it, a 45 Colt round using 200 grain RNFP lead projectiles, 9.2 grains of Unique, Starline brass and CCI LP 300 primers, putting them right at 1000fps out of the 7.5" barrel. Also a 454 Casull round using 250 grain Hornady XTP's, 14 grains of Unique, Starline brass and Federal SR 205 primers, putting them at an average of 1153fps out of the 7.5" barrel. Only a very moderate 454 load at this stage, I'll work up some heavier loads once I manage to get my hands on some blue dot or RL2400 powder.

Anyone else out there shooting a BFR and enjoying it? Again I am super happy with this purchase and pretty sure this is one of those firearms I'll be holding onto forever I just really enjoy shooting it.

View attachment 511533
View attachment 511530
View attachment 511531
View attachment 511532

The 45 Colt and 454 Casull hand loads mentioned above
View attachment 511534

I purchased my BFR in 2018 or 19. Mine is in 44 Rem Mag. with 4-5/8" barrel, 5 shot.
I like it and took it to Zimbabwe as back up for a buff hunt.
20200125_012055.jpg

20240112_165549.jpg

This is 1 of 2 bullets I test shot into game. First test shot was into the shoulder of the dead buff at 20-25 feet, the bullet was recovered from the opposite side. The second test shot was into my gemsbok to finish it off at the same distance of 20-25 feet and was retrieved from the spine.

Great solidly buildt firearms. Smooth hammer cocking and trigger pull. I only have 2 irrelevant complaints with the design that others seem to like. The first and The second is the grip, it's designed for a 2 hand grip too much space between the grip and trigger guard. Definitely not meant for a single hand draw while thumb cocking of the hammer like on a single action Colt or Ruger.

I purchased my BFR in 2018 or 19. Mine is in 44 Rem Mag. with 4-5/8" barrel, 5 shot.
View attachment 597815
View attachment 597819
This is 1 of 2 bullets I test shot into game. First test shot was into the shoulder of the dead buff at 20-25 feet, the bullet was recovered from the opposite side. The second test shot was into my gemsbok to finish it off at the same distance of 20-25 feet and was retrieved from the spine.

Great solidly buildt firearms. Smooth hammer cocking and trigger pull. I only have 2 irrelevant complaints with the design that others seem to like. The first and The second is the grip, it's designed for a 2 hand grip too much space between the grip and trigger guard. Definitely not meant for a single hand draw while thumb cocking of the hammer like on a single action Colt or Ruger.
She's a beauty!

454 has better bullets available for it. I have more than one if basically all the normal big bores, meaning i dont have a 475 max, but i tend to go 41 to 454 to 500 jrh but usually use and love my 460 sw in the bfr.
A couple of absolute ripper bulls!

View attachment 597815
View attachment 597819

It didnt need to be that far but i can tell you that is a nice feature when you are shooting maxxed out 454, 475, and 500 jrh loads. It was designed that way per the head gun builder brett. It solves the knuckle rap of a freedom arms. When im running the hot stuff from my fa’s it has left a permanent scar on my 3rd finger. The bfr’s dont do that. Those lil 44’s are such great guns. I love those. Nice gun!!!!

@CoElkHunter
What about a 500 S&W or a nice Freedom arms in 45-70 using full house 350gn loads. Come on mate where's your sense if adventure.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Years ago I took a handgun hunting class. Brought my 45 Blackhawk 5 1/2 inch barrel and some buffalo bore 325g loads. That combination is an eye-opener to say the least.

The Smith and Wesson reps were there with their then-new 500. And free ammo. I ended up using their gun for most of the shooting exercises not for the free ammo (which was no trivial amount of $$$) but because it was so tame compared with my gun.

That huge ported revolver with those squishy grips isn’t something I’d want to carry on my hip, but the engineers really knocked it out of the park when it comes to making a gentle giant.

It didnt need to be that far but i can tell you that is a nice feature when you are shooting maxxed out 454, 475, and 500 jrh loads. It was designed that way per the head gun builder brett. It solves the knuckle rap of a freedom arms. When im running the hot stuff from my fa’s it has left a permanent scar on my 3rd finger. The bfr’s dont do that. Those lil 44’s are such great guns. I love those. Nice gun!!!!
I am aware of why they added the extra space between the grip and trigger guard. And agree for those with large hands a Ruger Single Six variety, or Colt, or S & W, aka " western cowboy" or "Cowboy Action" guns are more ergonomically designed for putting a handgun into use substantially quicker than a MR BFR or FA, but with the recoil associated with the style of these firearms in larger caliber many shooters complained about the trigger guard recoiling into their fingers. There were also complaints from shooters about not being able to handle the recoil from the heavier calibers. Thus MR and FA have designed their respective firearms to accommodate these shooters.

I talked with the folks from Magnum Research at the SCI Convention in Nashville and they offered to change out the original style grip for the new style grip. It would take about 3 or 4 weeks before I would get my revolver back. Since I'm not much of a fan of the "Bird's Head"/ "Besiley" style grip and their version doesn't close the gap up as much as I would like for it to, I'm sticking with the original grip style because it has a much better feel in my hand.

I purchased my BFR44 for 2 designated purposes .....1) to hunt Africa. 2) to use shotshells on snakes locally. With exception to my 44 C & B, my other double action 44 mag is magna ported, shooting shotshells is not recommended, so I don't.

On another note: While there at the Magnum Research booth, among of topics we discussed the differences between MR's 5 shot and 6 shot revolvers. And being the "Touchy, Feely" firearms guy that I am; IMPO, Magnum Research BFR44, and BFR454 Casull are much more "Beefier" than S & W, Ruger, or any other brand 44 Mag, EXCEPT Freedom Arms revolvers.

Between MR and FA it is a matter of personal choice! As IMPO find both companies equal as being Premium handgun firearms companies.

20240112_165549.jpg

I was more than a bit apprehensive using, to me, an untested bullet. But when I actually seen the damage this bullet can do, and how it preformed I am now a believer in these bullets.

Sorry guys I'm going to get a good stash (200-300 in each of the big bore/ African various calibers) of these bullets in before I advertise the name brand. Which some of you might already know. PLEASE, Should you know the brand, and I truely hate not wanting to advertise the brand name, but let's keep these bullets and this particular bullet manufacturer among ourselves as the manufacturer seems to only make limited runs in various calibers at a fair price. I that is We don't need to see these bullets listed on Gun Broker or any other non AH forum at 2, 3, 4, +, times the price. These IMPO&E are excellent solid bullets for buff, possibly any or all DG and the largest of PG where a solid bullet to the shoulder bone is recommended as a first bullet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross