BFR 454 Casull

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I have been wanting one of these revolvers for years, finally got one towards the end of last year and I absolutely love it. Ended up going with the 454 Casull with a 7.5" barrel, it's great being able to shoot 45 Colt and 454 Casull through the same revolver. The 45 Colt ammo is great to shoot at indoor ranges when I don't feel like rattling my brain. I'm really impressed with the build quality of these firearms and also how well balanced it is given the size and weight of it.

The grips are a little bit thick for me but not sure it's that uncomfortable I need to look at changing them, I am going to spend some more time on the range with it before I go changing anything, so far I have only put around 100 rounds through it.

So far I have worked up 2 loads for it, a 45 Colt round using 200 grain RNFP lead projectiles, 9.2 grains of Unique, Starline brass and CCI LP 300 primers, putting them right at 1000fps out of the 7.5" barrel. Also a 454 Casull round using 250 grain Hornady XTP's, 14 grains of Unique, Starline brass and Federal SR 205 primers, putting them at an average of 1153fps out of the 7.5" barrel. Only a very moderate 454 load at this stage, I'll work up some heavier loads once I manage to get my hands on some blue dot or RL2400 powder.

Anyone else out there shooting a BFR and enjoying it? Again I am super happy with this purchase and pretty sure this is one of those firearms I'll be holding onto forever I just really enjoy shooting it.

1673909413069.jpeg

1673909286733.jpeg

1673909328267.jpeg

1673909367671.jpeg

The 45 Colt and 454 Casull hand loads mentioned above
1673909489147.jpeg

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the BFR. A BFR in 454 Casull is most assuredly on my want list! Would love to get one of the BFR precision center builds.

Under the rubber grips, is your model the older style "plough handle" grip or the newer Bisley grip? Is it the 5 shot or 6 shot model?

In respect of the loads, have you tried using 45 Colt loads in a 454 Casull case with the projectile seated to the overall length of the 45 Colt round. That way you avoid carbon and lead fouling forming a baked on ridge in the cylinder.

Congrats, I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the BFR. A BFR in 454 Casull is most assuredly on my want list! Would love to get one of the BFR precision center builds.

Under the rubber grips, is your model the older style "plough handle" grip or the newer Bisley grip? Is it the 5 shot or 6 shot model?

In respect of the loads, have you tried using 45 Colt loads in a 454 Casull case with the projectile seated to the overall length of the 45 Colt round. That way you avoid carbon and lead fouling forming a baked on ridge in the cylinder.
Old plough handle and 5 shot. I've never had a problem with the carbon build up from the shorter rounds in revolvers, I've shot thousands of 38 special rounds through my Smith & Wesson 686 and from time to time shoot some 357 mag rounds through it and never had a problem. Maybe this BFR will be different? But so far no issues with carbon build up from the 45 Colt rounds.

Just curious as to what amenities the "precision center builds" provide?

Old plough handle and 5 shot. I've never had a problem with the carbon build up from the shorter rounds in revolvers, I've shot thousands of 38 special rounds through my Smith & Wesson 686 and from time to time shoot some 357 mag rounds through it and never had a problem. Maybe this BFR will be different? But so far no issues with carbon build up from the 45 Colt rounds.
+1 on shooting many, many .38 rounds out of my Smith 66 and previous Model 15. The outer cylinder gets blackened a bit but it's not a "build up" of carbon. A bronze brush takes care of any potential build up on the cylinder and in and around the forcing cone.

454 Casull is great round. I own a Freedom Arms and a Taurus, but not a BFR. As for you comment about grip size. My FA originally had wood then switched to Pachmeyr. After about a box our two I went back to the original wood, as the Pachmeyer were to thick for my hands. When I did a lot of pistol hunting I wore padded handball gloves and cut the trigger finger and thumb off. Shooting Colts are big advantage as they "don't rattle your brain as much" I have 335gr Corbon HC for my hunting loads.

For the heavier Casull level loads my best results have been from WIN296, if you can get your hands on it. Next available powder I've used has been AR2205 (listed in US data as 4227). Note: with AR2205, its best to only use it with heavier loads, at low pressure it gives inconsistent ignition and lots of unburnt powder granules.

For the heavier Casull level loads my best results have been from WIN296, if you can get your hands on it. Next available powder I've used has been AR2205 (listed in US data as 4227). Note: with AR2205, its best to only use it with heavier loads, at low pressure it gives inconsistent ignition and lots of unburnt powder granules.
Yeah 2205 is another option I'm hoping I can get my hands on soon for heavier loads

Primarily built to more precise tolerances than the standard model. Also a variety of customizations, barrel lengths, finish etc.

I'm surprised they don't offer barrel porting? My used like new Ruger Super Redhawk .454 has it's 9" barrel ported. Looks like Magna Port slits and possibly came from the factory ported? When I bought it, it came in the box and no evidence it had ever been fired. The porting helps tame the barrel rise and really isn't excessively loud like a brake would be.

Mag na port is not a free lunch. It does help muzzle rise. I had my 16” 45/70 Contender barrel ported. While muzzle rise was abated, recoil straight back was not. The rear grip screw started bending after a few shots. That was not a problem before being ported. My scope came off and hit me in the head after being ported. That was because I did not chase the the threads with a tap to remove the old Loctite on the scope base.I had the barrel drilled and tapped to a larger size.
I was running pretty hot loads. Older and maybe smarter now.

I have been wanting one of these revolvers for years, finally got one towards the end of last year and I absolutely love it. Ended up going with the 454 Casull with a 7.5" barrel, it's great being able to shoot 45 Colt and 454 Casull through the same revolver. The 45 Colt ammo is great to shoot at indoor ranges when I don't feel like rattling my brain. I'm really impressed with the build quality of these firearms and also how well balanced it is given the size and weight of it.

The grips are a little bit thick for me but not sure it's that uncomfortable I need to look at changing them, I am going to spend some more time on the range with it before I go changing anything, so far I have only put around 100 rounds through it.

So far I have worked up 2 loads for it, a 45 Colt round using 200 grain RNFP lead projectiles, 9.2 grains of Unique, Starline brass and CCI LP 300 primers, putting them right at 1000fps out of the 7.5" barrel. Also a 454 Casull round using 250 grain Hornady XTP's, 14 grains of Unique, Starline brass and Federal SR 205 primers, putting them at an average of 1153fps out of the 7.5" barrel. Only a very moderate 454 load at this stage, I'll work up some heavier loads once I manage to get my hands on some blue dot or RL2400 powder.

Anyone else out there shooting a BFR and enjoying it? Again I am super happy with this purchase and pretty sure this is one of those firearms I'll be holding onto forever I just really enjoy shooting it.

View attachment 511533
View attachment 511530
View attachment 511531
View attachment 511532

View attachment 511534
Congratulations on the BFR and the cartridge. I have a 6" BFR in 475 Linebaugh. They are very good revolvers. I have the same Pachmayr grips. I am not the biggest fan of them. Maybe one day, I will send the grip back for Micarta to be fitted in the traditional dimensions.
The great thing about the 454 Casull is the ability to shoot the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt with modern loads is potent itself. While I do not have a BFR in 454, I do not have other revolvers in it. I shoot both the 454 & 45 Colt in mine, clean the cylinder and carry on.
Not much the 454 cannot do. Definitely a versatile cartridge. Congratulations again, dang fine revolver.

+1 on shooting many, many .38 rounds out of my Smith 66 and previous Model 15. The outer cylinder gets blackened a bit but it's not a "build up" of carbon. A bronze brush takes care of any potential build up on the cylinder and in and around the forcing cone.
Cyclone brush from bass pro if it gets bad to where you cannot seat the .454. Dab it with No 9 on a qtip and then just comes out easily with a scrub or two.
454 Casull is great round. I own a Freedom Arms and a Taurus, but not a BFR. As for you comment about grip size. My FA originally had wood then switched to Pachmeyr. After about a box our two I went back to the original wood, as the Pachmeyer were to thick for my hands. When I did a lot of pistol hunting I wore padded handball gloves and cut the trigger finger and thumb off. Shooting Colts are big advantage as they "don't rattle your brain as much" I have 335gr Corbon HC for my hunting loads.
Special gloves for handgun hunting? About as far as I ever went there was to ensure it was thin enough to fit into a pocket for rewarming and thick enough to protect me during a stalk of 150 yards or so at the ready. I also wore my steel framed guns inside my suit so they stayed warm. This prevented my hands from freezing to an ice block during the stalks.
Congratulations on the BFR and the cartridge. I have a 6" BFR in 475 Linebaugh. They are very good revolvers. I have the same Pachmayr grips. I am not the biggest fan of them. Maybe one day, I will send the grip back for Micarta to be fitted in the traditional dimensions.
The great thing about the 454 Casull is the ability to shoot the 45 Colt. The 45 Colt with modern loads is potent itself. While I do not have a BFR in 454, I do not have other revolvers in it. I shoot both the 454 & 45 Colt in mine, clean the cylinder and carry on.
Not much the 454 cannot do. Definitely a versatile cartridge. Congratulations again, dang fine revolver.
The .454 sure is a potent cartridge. Had I not bypassed it with the .460 S&W I would've been happy with it. My only lamentation is that it has no large primer and causes priming to be switched over on the reloading bench. I guess no more annoying than the .40/10mm bridge.

I generally have one longer barreled hunting revolver with a full brake, and a shorter barreled belt gun in the same caliber, for each hunting caliber I use. I know some do not like the looks or the noise of a barrel brake, but as I shoot one handed a lot while hunting, the brake is extremely effective. I prefer 7.5-10” plus the brake, Leupold dual dovetail mounts and Leupold 2.5x8 pistol scope. Good for 0-100 yards, minimum.

A nice step up when you're ready for a hunting load for deer size game is the 250 XTP with a midrange charge of IMR 4227. I load this for 44 magnum performance in 454 brass. It's accurate and easy to shoot in a big revolver.

View attachment 511533
View attachment 511530
View attachment 511531
View attachment 511532

View attachment 511534
@Aussie hunter
Beautiful all you need is a Rossi 92 in the same caliber to go with it.
You are lucky to have any unique.
Blue dot and 2400 are as common as 50 year old virgin's in Australia so best of British finding any old son. Any shotgun, pistol powder or even 2205 and Lil gun is virtually impossible to find unless you know someone who knows somebody who has some they are willing to part with.
I was offered 200 dollars for a 500 gram tin of Lil gun recently by someone that said they needed it to reload a cartridge. Fortunately I knew that round wasn't compatible with it. I think he wanteded it to resell.
Bob

If I were to get a BFR it would be in the Linebaugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.