Daktari

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
US: FL, ME
Hello everyone, what has been your favorite thing you've seen or done on the side of your safari besides something like Victoria Falls.

Trip to Capetown and Stellenbosch area for a few days following a hunt is very nice, if with the missus. I wouldn’t do it before a hunt though, as I’m sure I’d be restless and not giving it the full attention it deserves. The Midland Meander is very nice, if in KZN. I always enjoy game drives as well. I can do those before a safari, as it has me anticipating the hunt. Try to refrain from doing the little air pistol, and making that shooting noise. :cool:

To hard to pick one as my favourite but as life goes on (getting older) I realize the accomplishments, sights and things ones memory bank accumulates over the course of a few safaris. I have NEVER been on safari without adding a week min to a month+ of extra days travelling, sight seeing and touring. 2 days on a plane to get there, life is too short not to really see, immerse and feel as much as possible while there or even on way there or back.

Here are some things that stand out in no order;

Shark diving in SA, Penguins in SA & Namibia, Namib desert/dunes, Kruger, Hwange, Etosha, many smaller parks in all 3 countries, table mountain, Himba Village, schools/orphanages, ancient coliseum in Germany, whine on the Rhine, sunset cruise on the Zambezi, local seller markets, world food styles and types, carving "towns" or even a walk/drive to see so many people not so lucky, as in Ethiopia. These are but a few. Yes never visit Zim without a few days in Vic Falls, even 2 weeks was great when SAA had their strike and "stranded" us fully paid at Elephant Hills Hotel. (y)

I think tourist things and world sight seeing only adds to safari and certainly wakes you up to how good one really has life. Grateful and humbling. I cannot even imagine those who fly over for a 7-10 day hunt and then its back. Or those who finish early, reschedule and leave early. That's never been me.

MB

The native birds...

52214838782_a18a638eef_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing the southern cross for the first time. Taking several Amy Bell SCI Blue Bags to a local school and spending several hours with the teachers and kids. Those two would be near the top. Seeing some San rock art.

Or seeing the Southern Cross for the 12th time. Never gets old.

Seeing the southern cross for the first time. Taking several Amy Bell SCI Blue Bags to a local school and spending several hours with the teachers and kids. Those two would be near the top. Seeing some San rock art.

Yep. I took the photo handheld so the camera shake actually makes the starts more visible. Yes, I photoshopped out the other stars to show only the stars in the Southern Cross. This gave me chills to actually be standing there and looking at this constellation. Wow. Thanks for reminding me.

52203028377_679591b467_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
have your hunting safari company get hold of a tour agent and look at their selections. Some examples in South Africa, a couple days game viewing from Sabi Sands next to Kruger, it is a truly luxurious resort. A plunge into the depths of a diamond mine, visit wine country . I am a history buff so Rorkes Drift was great. All countries have plenty of interesting things besides hunting. I always allow extra days. A short trip for me is three weeks.

Last edited:
This was fun... elephant conservancy outside of joburg....went while we waited for our departure flight...
20220909_144818.jpg

Best Sights to See While on Safari?

The front and back sights on my double lined up perfectly for a kill shot on one of the Big 5.

:)

A photography type game park is always fun and they are numerous-

The post above about birds is so true. Usually it’s all the small stuff that sticks.
ie the small five are great fun to tick off. Our just a visit to the local school or village to me brought small rewards that stick.
I’ll try post a photo of the the wooden bike I rode. Kid made it himself to transport charcoal.
Depends where you are for the main tourist attraction.
#2 post covers most!

Etosha National Park in Namibia is one of the few that allow you to drive in and get out of your car. The risk is on you. A sensible way of doinag things.

When we were in Tanzania last spring, we did balloon ride over the Serengeti at dawn. Was pretty amazing seeing the sun come up over the horizon, then watching the migration of herds of Wildebeest in the 1000's along with big groups of many of the other plains game.

1680731736895.jpeg

1680732210744.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you