Best rifle companies and calibers for dangerous game?

I have a 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby. Though the Rigby is a far better option then a 375 for DG it is a dismal failure if you can not shoot it. The 375 is easier to shot, recoil wise and has taken plenty of DG all over the world. You have made your choice and I applaud you for not being macho and going with the heavier recoiler to start with. If you find you handle the 375 with no problems then find some friendly sorts who have the 416 Rigby or 404J and try them. I would recommend starting off with light for calibre bullets in the 375, like 235 grain and 250 grain to start with. Once you are comfortable with these then go to the 300 and 350 grain projectiles. I use Woodliegh weldcore and Hydrostatics. What ever soft node you chose make sure it is a premium quality DG bullet. I prefer the Hydros to other solids as they shot to the same point of impact as my softs, are not round nose and penetrate strait.

Good luck with your hunt.

.600 nitro express.
You can close this thread now. The best was saved for last.
Cal

Check out the .416 Taylor (Same 2,450 fps as the Rem and Rigby, but with 15 and 25 gr. less powder!) Factory ammo available. Win M70 CRF or CZ 550 Safari, accurized and tested with considerable shooting before the trip (floorplate opens, dumping rounds, iron sights pop off, q/d rings loosen up, feeding problems, etc. Learn about issues before it really matters.) .375 is hard to beat for a do-all in Africa gun, but read Kevin Robertson's books (Perfect Shot, Most Dangerous, etc.) The 350 gr .375 bullets have proven even more effective on dangerous game. Hurry, as I heard CZ was going to drop the 550 from its line...An older Kimber Caprivi (also Mauser-style CRF action) was a nice gun as well. .375 (min. acceptable for DG in most countries) is a pleasure to shoot as compared to other big bore calibers. Son has a Montana .375 and loves it! My Taylor is a Win M70 re-barreled, bedded, stocked (HS) and trigger job by Shaw. Both super accurate, not too heavy and manageable to shoot. Nothing wrong w/ Mauser actions, either (every one I have is a shooter!) Good luck.

These are always questions that are difficult or impossible to answer.

In the decades where I have dealt with this specific topic , I was able to read articles regularly where one of the cartridges suitable for DG was praised and presented as the best. I don't think one was forgotten. The same goes for the rifles.

It would be better to ask which rifle and which cartridge suitable for DG have never been praised and presented as the best !:)

As lots of others have doubtless contributed to this thread a 375 pushing 300gr bullets will kill a buffalo.
Better to use a rifle/ caliber that you can shoot well than one you struggle to shoot. I’ve heard of 375 being at the upper limit of acceptable recoil.
I own a Browning A bolt in 375. I’m left handed so the choice is limited. However I got a great deal as the rifle had sat in a shop for several years.
Otherwise Tikka make excellent rifles. Scope ? I’d think of a 1-4x24, 1.5-6 or 8x24, 1,5-6x42 or 1,7-10x42. Plenty of good scopes are available and don’t be afraid to buy a good quality second hand scope.

hey guys, I'm new here. So I'm planning a trip to Africa within the next year or two. I would like to get a nice bolt action rifle for the journey. I would like to hear your recommendations and why. Some guns I have been looking at include but are not limited to, the Winchester m70 Safari, Mauser 98 magnum, weatherby in .460, and cz550. I would like the gun to be either in in .375 h&h, 416 rugby, 458 Lott, or 404 Jeffery. Thanks guys!
What are you planning to hunt and where? This would help with the recommendations. What is the spending cap?
Happy rifle shopping!
Philip

I am assuming that I can only list companies which are still currently producing rifles .
Among currently produced bolt rifles , my favorites would be :
> Winchester Model 70 Safari Express , chambered in .375 Holland & Holland magnum ( heavy barrel variant ) with super grade stock .
> Mauser M03 , chambered in .404 Jeffery
> Dakota Model 76 , chambered in .450 Rigby

Among currently produced double barreled rifles , my favorite would have to be :
> Lebeau Courally side by side with 24 inch barrels, beaver tail fore end grip , no automatic safety and double triggers . Chambered for .500 Nitro Express ( 3.25 inch chamber )

For a client who has never shot dangerous game before , my recommendation would always be for a .375 Holland & Holland magnum calibre Winchester Model 70 Safari Express bolt rifle , with a good telescopic sight ( The Weaver K Series used to be extremely popular back in our time , but now many more superior choices exist )

If one is truly looking for a dangerous game rifle I would recommend something in the 40s.
.375 is a great do all caliber, and will kill DG, but it is considered the minimum caliber for dangerous game for a reason.
404 Jeffrey or 416 Rigby offer significantly more knockdown power margin for error, with the same or more historical or romantic gravitas and a very manageable increase in recoil.

As far as a rifle company, why not a Blaser?
Appropriate weighted rifle in several different DG calibers and modular as well.

Remember Newton, 375 H&H.
Yes, I remember Newton, three of them actually.
Are you speaking of Charles Newton, inventor of the 30NEWTON cartridge?
Or Isaac Newton with his laws of motion?
Or most likely the Newton rifle?

That's gotta be it...right?

These are always questions that are difficult or impossible to answer.

In the decades where I have dealt with this specific topic , I was able to read articles regularly where one of the cartridges suitable for DG was praised and presented as the best. I don't think one was forgotten. The same goes for the rifles.

It would be better to ask which rifle and which cartridge suitable for DG have never been praised and presented as the best !:)
One of the primary reasons for that is magazine articles (Media) are paid to write articles by Advertisments (Industry.) Therefore, you'll get more truths out of the Africa hunting forums.... ;) Most are simply hunters or PHs advising of their personal experiences and not trying to sell you anything (excepting a great safari!)

When industry hands a lowly journalist a free rifle (or hunt, car, cash/check, etc.), you'll be sure to read some great stuff about that crap. :p

For DG I'd rather have too much gun than not enough. So, as others have said a .400+ caliber shooting at a minimum 400 grains at 2,300 fps is a good start.

The elephant in my avatar was taken with a 500 grain at 2,370 fps from a .500 caliber.

Joshua, your 375H&H is a fine choice.

If you don't already, take up handloading for cost savings and versatility gain.

You may find your 30-06 gets a lot less time outside.

My own 375 is a Browning A-Bolt. It was the first gun bought with my own money and I will never part with it.

For a client, 375 H&H, you don’t need more than that with a PH backing you up with a 40 or 50 cal rifle. 375 has plenty of punch to drop anything with proper shot placement, with some margin of error, and is easier to shoot and shoot well than the bigger calibers. Make and model, your preference, just make sure it’s a quality rifle with good optics.

Last edited:
For a client, 375 H&H, you don’t need more than that with a PH backing you up with a 40 or 50 cal rifle. 375 has plenty of punch to drop anything with proper shot placement, with some margin of error, and is earlier to shoot and shoot well than the bigger calibers. Make and model, your preference, just make sure it’s a quality rifle with good optics.

I used to believe that until my 300grain TBBC fired from 375H&H failed to break scapula of a cow Water Buffalo.

I was certain of the shot, it was as easy a shot as one can hope for when hunting. Stationery, undisturbed animal, short distance, solid rest against a tree and plenty of time. I knew I hit it well and was stupid enough to trust the one shot. I didn’t follow up being certain I’d find the animal dead within short distance inside the paperbark forrest. The guy who was with me watched the impact and confirmed the shot was true. We were both rather surprised to find but a few tiny droplets of blood instead of the dead buffalo.

I hit it the animal square on the side from about 50m away. The projectile failed to penetrate the bone, ricocheted approximately 90degrees and ended up in the gut cavity. I caught up with the animal the next day, killed it and simply could not believe my eyes when I started searching for the projectile to understand what had happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross