Best Practical Safari Tips

Discussion in 'Before & After the Hunt' started by dmyers, Jul 7, 2019.

1. steve ahrenberg

steve ahrenberg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Nope. I've done far more Safaris the "other way." It took me over 20 trips to figure out I was being a bit of a patsy. There are for sure lots of good guys out there PHing, but there are also plenty more who use clients and feign friendships, which are superficial at best. This, all in the hopes of securing a long time client. Heck , I did 6 or 7 trips to one GMA in a row, with the same guy. I even took my wife over for one with him as well.

It was actually my wife who helped me see the truth. It's there fella's.

All it took was for me to read the signs that were there in front of me, all along, to read.

Its funny, my very first PH on my very first Safari has turned out to be one of my dearest friends. Ya know how I know its genuine? He's not hunting anymore. He's a farmer. We chat weekly and truly enjoy one anothers company.

As far as "Getting what I paid for" are you saying that if I don't become fast friends with the guy, I'm not gonna have a quality experience? It seems to me that would be disingenuous, at best.

I'm not unfriendly, the opposite is the truth. I just keep it impersonal. When the Safari is over and step on the charter, I hand him (or her) yes, her, their tip, say so long and that...is that.

They are in it as a job. A fun job? perhaps, but I wouldn't do it for any amount of money.

Please don't misunderstand me. I love Safari, with a passion. I just keep my shit straight nowadays.

I also always; conduct myself as a gentleman. I always make sure my guns and my marksmanship are there. I arrive fit, proper gear and ready to hunt. I'm ready in the morning, usually before the PH is. I'll roll with the flow, breakdowns, tires, staff issues, camp mechanical issues, hell its Africa.

Philip Glass, jeff, Scott CWO and 5 others like this.

2. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Take half the clothes you thing you need to bring and twice as much money.

Rimbaud, Scott CWO, Von S. and 7 others like this.

3. steve ahrenberg

steve ahrenberg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Now that right there is all you need to know!!

WAB and 375 Ruger Fan like this.

4. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    Bandaids for the little scratches and cuts in the field. I take a couple or three each of different sizes in a plastic sandwich bag and stick it in my hip pocket.

5. Aegis

Aegis AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Ditto the Leatherman.

One of the areas we hunted with KMG in the Eastern Cape was littered with these little bastards and they'd kick up and stick in your leg when you walked. Much better to pull them out with the Leatherman than your fingers!

upload_2019-7-7_23-37-32.png

Philip Glass and dmyers like this.

6. kevin masters

kevin masters BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    us mexico alaska south africa
    Mole skin, and a journal. I always enjoy looking back through my journal and remembering little things.

7. JimP

JimP AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, RMEF
    Hunted:
    US (Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Colorado, Nevada. Canada (British Colombia), South Africa (Eastern Cape)
    A journal should be a no brainier.

I started keeping one years ago for all of my hunting trips. Then once home I'll transcribe it from my journal into a story that I then print out and save in a binder. It is always enjoyable to sit down on a cold winter night and pull that binder out and relive the fun and rough times of hunts gone by.

8. Michael Dean

Michael Dean AH Enthusiast

First, go to your local bank and order some currency for the country you're going to be visiting. Better to take it with you than to try to find a bank or exchange counter when you land. You might not have the time to visit a bank or they could be closed the day you arrive. Also, bring baby wipes. They are great when your in the field and have to go or just to use for sanitary purposes for cleaning cuts or just wiping your face and hands. I've taken them on many hunts and have always found them to be useful. Lastly, bring $50.00 dollars worth of five dollar bills. Expect people to ask for tips, especially when completing paperwork for firearms. You don't want to be stuck with having only twenty dollar bills when they start demanding tips. One last thing, a good pair of tweezers. Great for picking out thorns and splinters. I always bring neosporin for cuts and burns and almost any type of skin irritation.

Scott CWO, Terry Fuller and dmyers like this.

9. Tokoloshe Safaris

Tokoloshe Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Safari International
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, South Africa, Tanzania
    Everyone has contributed some great ideas.
    I would like to add:
    A few black ink pens, some government forms must be filled out in black ink and pens have a way of disappearing.
    Ciprio is excellent, and a selection of tape, bandages, eye wash, topical antiseptics, tweezers.
    Batteries for camera, lights, etc.
    Special tools for your rifle.
    Small denomination bills in US or destination currency.
    Your own binoculars (your not using mine).
    Please leave the candy at home! We do not like little children running out in front of the cruiser after you have left!
    Ammunition? It's your property do what you want with, just hope that it makes it along with your firearm, you would not expect to have your PH help you out if it did not make it, or would you?

10. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Lens cleaner of some type: cloth, pen with brush, etc. Your scope, camera, binocs, and glasses will get dusty. Leatherman and a no frills pocket knife (Buck, Case, Opinel, whatever). A drab colored bandana. An extra charging cord for your phone and a converter plug, especially if doing some touring. Your outfitter probably has extras, the next place may not.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

11. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International

Add to this: Bring rifles and ammo that are of the same calibers your PH uses. If you're SOL because ammo is lost, they might sell you some. When you leave, they surely would appreciate your leftover ammo.

I had a gun break and the PH loaned me a suitable rifle. The ranger didn't have ammo for his rifle and I had extra. Win-Win. Karma full circle.

dmyers likes this.

12. huntsolo101

huntsolo101 AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI , NRA, Wisconsin Bowhunters, SCI Wisconsin Chapter,
    Hunted:
    usa, canada, south africa, namibia
    What I have learned
    1 - When bringing your kids under 18 you need birth certificates , passports, notarized letter from spouse (if not traveling with) and a copy of spouse passport.
    2- I now bring a Polaroid camera. The pictures we keep and leave have become very cherished by all.
    3- I have a springbok sweatshirt and wear it every time we are in the airports. I blend in and am amazed how well it works.
    4-Bring more than 1 key for your gun case. The extra open lock in the case is also a good idea. ( long story short last year my guns where delayed and without Mr X being on top of everything I would have had 2 cut locks )
    5- Have someone in joburg you can trust . I met Mr X in 2006 and he has helped with every safari I have taken. He is a great asset for me.
    6- I Use a rechargeable headlamp . It is charged with a USB. Everything these days I bring is charged with a USB. I bring a multi port USB charger and the wall adapter I need for SA.
    7- When you return from your safari make a list of what you used and what you didnt touch . Make adjustments to your list. After 10 safaris you will check In a 30 lb bag.
    8- I absolutely love sitka clothes. They are great in the South Africa climate. They hold up very well to the thorns that every tree , bush and grass throw at you .
    9- You dont need camo clothes. Hunt the wind .
    10- Learn to shoot sitting off of sticks. I use a little chair and level lok brand sticks. Being right handed my right elbow rests on my knee . A nice rest is key to accurate shots. The ph may not like carrying my little fold up chair but we dont have to track wounded animals.
    11-Shoot what the Bush provides.
    12- Bring copies of everything . 4457, contents of Wallet , passport, gun permits , invite letter , guest house confirmation ,tickets ,extra blank gun forms , and dont ever forget your kids notarized birth certificates . That one little oops cost me a hunting day and 750 change fee.

Terry Fuller and Tra3 like this.

13. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    I tend to hunt off the grid so essential kit for me are solar chargers. I have one for a cpap battery and one for my computer/camera/etc.

Scott CWO likes this.

14. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    PS to above: Stay in the shadows or shade. Animals have a hard time distinguishing a human form there.

dmyers likes this.

15. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Just remembered I take one of those eyeglass repair kits that contains the mini-screwdrivers and screws.

dmyers likes this.

16. BigSteve57

BigSteve57 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, Local gun clubs & shooting range.
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    I'd add all of the above plus gun scrubber spray for the fine dust that gets everywhere and a light backpack that has a water bladder in it that you can drink from while on the move.

dmyers likes this.

17. Scott CWO

Scott CWO AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
    This one helped save my life: Ripcord membership and an InReach satellite texting device to inform them of your camp location and request help in an emergency. InReach is also great to keep in touch with family and conduct business while you are away. The mapping function is also interesting and fun because it shows topo maps of where you are hunting.

18. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Zeiss lens wipes and Barricade gun wipes

dmyers likes this.