Best Caliber for Tiny 10?

I used a 22 Hornet on Red Duiker and Sharps Grysbok last year and used a 22 Magnum on Dik Dik a few years ago.

Based on what I’ve read here, wouldn’t a 9.3x62 with solids be a good choice for the tiny 10? I mean if a 375 H&H magnum works well, I’d think the 9.3x62 would be even better as it’s a bit less on the velocity side. Is that sound logic for these animals? Plus, like the 375, if anything bigger presents itself you’ve got the heavier round for that as well.

Based on what I’ve read here, wouldn’t a 9.3x62 with solids be a good choice for the tiny 10? I mean if a 375 H&H magnum works well, I’d think the 9.3x62 would be even better as it’s a bit less on the velocity side. Is that sound logic for these animals? Plus, like the 375, if anything bigger presents itself you’ve got the heavier round for that as well.
For sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been looking at the DDM5V3 (308WIN) for the same reasons.
Although Springfield Armory makes the Victor pistol in 308WIN...:oops:

I went with a Savage Hunter AR10 in 338 Federal. Will drop ANTIFA PG very well at close and medium ranges, though meat damage can be a bit on high side with 200 grain Federal Coppers. As a bonus, it does a good job on hogs and bears too :)

I'm pretty sure my bolt 223 won't stabilize those 70 grain Barnes TSX. Requires something like 1/8"?

I thought about a 223 but decided it was too fast even with heavier bullets. I may have discarded that thought prematurely.

@IvW I see the appeal of a combo gun.
But a Ruger Ranch like mine costs$359. Why not buy a gun that will shoot the 70gr reliably? Versus the costs of a safari? Just a thought.

Tha Barnes are great, but as an alternative check out the Swift Scirocco 2, in 62 or 75 grains.
The problem is the Scirocco is made to expand wildly which is great in some scenarios but what we are wanting is not too much expansion on the little critters and more expansion on the big animals. This is the versatility I’ve found with the Barnes in this situation. This is how it has worked so well for me and been so versatile. It’s a brilliant plan that I came up with through trial and error.
Thanks,
Philip

The problem is the Scirocco is made to expand wildly which is great in some scenarios but what we are wanting is not too much expansion on the little critters and more expansion on the big animals. This is the versatility I’ve found with the Barnes in this situation. This is how it has worked so well for me and been so versatile. It’s a brilliant plan that I came up with through trial and error.
Thanks,
Philip

Any preference between the TTSX and the TSX or does it make any difference?
Thinking 250 grain for the 9.3x62 in my case (MV ~2,525 fps).

You missed the solid part......neither of the above......

But a Ruger Ranch like mine costs$359. Why not buy a gun that will shoot the 70gr reliably? Versus the costs of a safari? Just a thought.

Because I already have more rifles than I can use, I suppose. Also, that $359 rifle will need $1000 worth of glass, and there's no way I could avoid other upgrades. I'm more likely to get my current 223 re-barreled but that's probably $800 all in. I could also get a custom Encore barrel but that also requires more glass...

I’ve only had experience with TSX but I’m sure they are equally good.

Well,

I shoot a fair few Muntjac every year which top out around 35-40lbs live weight for a big one. So I would guess approximate the T10 quite well.

1596178081294.png

My rifle of choice is a CZ527 in .223 Rem shooting a 65gr Sierra SBT (Spire Point Boat Tail).

Scrummy

My rifle of choice is a CZ527 in .223 Rem shooting a 65gr Sierra SBT (Spire Point Boat Tail).

Scrummy is your CZ527 one of the 1 in 12" twist rate guns or one of the 1 in 9"? I'm guessing my bolt-action 1 in 12" 223 won't shoot those 65 grain bullets worth a flip either. It shoots 55 grain bullets really well. I have some heavier bullets I should try in it just for giggles. Those heavier bullets work very well in my 1 in 7"AR.

Scrummy is your CZ527 one of the 1 in 12" twist rate guns or one of the 1 in 9"? I'm guessing my bolt-action 1 in 12" 223 won't shoot those 65 grain bullets worth a flip either. It shoots 55 grain bullets really well. I have some heavier bullets I should try in it just for giggles. Those heavier bullets work very well in my 1 in 7"AR.

Yes sir, 1:9

A lot of the European stuff is going that way (Faster twists 1:7 / 8 / 9) as CIP (who are our equivalent of SAAMI) have their .223 Rem the same as NATO 5.56.

The heavier bullets are interesting and some people are doing some really interesting things with 80gr+ bullets in 1:7" twist bolt guns.

Hunting wise I think those 65gr SBTs are great bullets. I've also had good luck Federal Fusion 62gr Factory Fodder. (In fact when I can get the Fusion I tend to because 1) it works 2) Saves time 3) Is a source of good Federal / Lake City brass) but for when I can't, I have powder, primers, bullets and brass to produce 50 or so Sierras.

@Goose Cracker Forgot to say, in your 1:12 twist barrel it might be worth trying the 60gr Nosler Partition.

It's rather shorter and stubbier than the Sierra offerings and should work better in deer type game

Bought some but never loaded them as the Sierras shot so well and I think until recent Nosler Partions were worth more per unit weight than bullion...

Well,

I shoot a fair few Muntjac every year which top out around 35-40lbs live weight for a big one. So I would guess approximate the T10 quite well.

View attachment 360246

Scrummy
Only the largest like a common duiker. The various dik dik, suni, blue duiker, etc are more akin to a European hare in size. A truly giant red duiker bull, which is middle of the pack from a size perspective, may top twenty pounds on a full stomach.

Below are a Mozambique Suni, Red Duiker, and Oribi. The Suni - a really nice one - might top 10 lbs live weight.

Mozambique Suni

Mozambique Red Duiker

last light oribi

And centering them, as these were, if using a .375 solid, is the best technique. Actually hit the shoulder, and the results can be unfortunate.

Last edited:
.338 win. mag. with bullets of 200 grains
Would cut most of the tiny 10 in half. That is an explosive bullet weight for a .338 - particularly at the range most of the little guys are taken.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross