Best Binocular Case/Harness?

Alaskan Guide Creations makes a great one. I have
Literally abused mine. Super comfortable and great craftsmanship. They make them for just about every make. Swarovski, Leica ,
Etc.

I own both the Kuiu and the FHF harness. One for me and one for my wife. I prefer the Kuiu because it is lighter and less complicated. It just seems more intuitive for me. Both are well built and will continue to serve us for years to come. But now I am considering the RYO harness, or just making some out of 550 cord. Hmmmmm...got me thinking.

Thing I like the best about the Kuiu and FHF is the protection they offer when the binos are not in use. I am kinda hard on gear so I tend to err on the side of quality gear and bulletproof protection for it. But still thinking about the RYO.

I am considering the RYO harness, or just making some out of 550 cord. Hmmmmm...got me thinking.

I'm a DIY kinda guy.. and keep a spool of 550 cord on hand at all times..

but I dont think 550 would be a good solution for a DIY RYO Harness..

One of the things that makes the RYO Harness nice is that its made from extremely durable bungee cords. They keep the binos close to the body, keep them from bouncing around too much when you are in the bakkie or trotting through the brush, etc..

A 550 version would get you about 80% "there" (you'd get the versatility, light weight, durability, etc..).. but I think you would lose out on my favorite part... the COMFORT....

Just my .02

I'm a DIY kinda guy.. and keep a spool of 550 cord on hand at all times..

but I dont think 550 would be a good solution for a DIY RYO Harness..

One of the things that makes the RYO Harness nice is that its made from extremely durable bungee cords. They keep the binos close to the body, keep them from bouncing around too much when you are in the bakkie or trotting through the brush, etc..

A 550 version would get you about 80% "there" (you'd get the versatility, light weight, durability, etc..).. but I think you would lose out on my favorite part... the COMFORT....

Just my .02
I see your point and will take that .02 cents, but probably make one out of 550 to try it out on the cheap to see if I like it. $25 is probably worth the time and effort (finding bungee, etc) I would put into making my own RYO.

I bought a RYO ultralinght harness that I ordered after seeing the videos on his websight as linked above. I have had a couple different methods of bino carry over the years and this is by far the best I have tried.

I am glad to see that so many people have tried and liked the Rick Young Bino harness. Although I do like good gear I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to hunting. This is one of the reasons I like the RYO harness. It is THE smallest most lightweight bino harness I’ve seen. It just works!
As to the original question I keep my Swaro African Edition 10X binos in their soft case if I am going to put them in my rifle case (Pelican 2 gun)or no case and just put in my backpack carry on.
Happy Hunting,
Philip

I tried making my own RYO harness out of 550 cord and it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. I know the RYO are made of HD elastic cord but my binos are heavy, weighing in at 2 lbs. When I had them on the 550 cord they were kinda cutting into my shoulders after just a few minutes. Kinda concerned about having to wear these all day and being annoyed by something like this.

Does anyone have any experience with this harness and binos of a similar weight? Wife's binos are a little lighter coming in a 1.5 lbs, so experience with something in that range would be helpful as well. Thank you in advance.

Just so you know - Leica Geovid 10x42 RF on FHF harness and the wife's are Vortex Razor HD 10x42 on a Kuiu harness.

I tried making my own RYO harness out of 550 cord and it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. I know the RYO are made of HD elastic cord but my binos are heavy, weighing in at 2 lbs. When I had them on the 550 cord they were kinda cutting into my shoulders after just a few minutes. Kinda concerned about having to wear these all day and being annoyed by something like this.

Does anyone have any experience with this harness and binos of a similar weight? Wife's binos are a little lighter coming in a 1.5 lbs, so experience with something in that range would be helpful as well. Thank you in advance.

Just so you know - Leica Geovid 10x42 RF on FHF harness and the wife's are Vortex Razor HD 10x42 on a Kuiu harness.

I use them with my Zeiss Conquests, which are about 1.5 lb.

They transfer the weight to the back of the shoulders, not the top. So, I can wear them (and have) all day long and never once feel like they are heavy or uncomfortable. I would think they would be the same way with 2 lb binos.

As usual, I continue to live in the past.
While in Africa, I have tried the binocular harness system but, found it awkward.
Actually, it is more accurate to say that, I'm the awkward part of this equation, not so much the equipment.
Anyway, at the end of that safari, I gave my harness to a staff member, there where I hunted.
But at any rate, with my binos smack in the middle of my torso, I knocked them with my rifle and my wrist watch, once too often.
Not hard enough to damage anything but the sound is extremely unacceptable, during the final stages of a stalk.
I've gone back to the old fashioned / simple over-the-shoulder strap.
My binoculars are somewhat on the heavy side (Swarovski 10x42 EL) but, they ride very well for me, via the single strap.
In fact recently, I set aside the factory included strap and bought the exact canvas and leather strap model, shown on the previous page of this thread, posted by member "safari SUPPLIES".
The factory strap worked as well as I could hope for but, I just thought the canvas and leather one added a touch of class to my binoculars, in stark contrast to my otherwise low class to no class at all persona (no doubt others will confirm this).

Big fan of the kuiu system. Ruined one too many lenses in other Bino’s. One hand operation, protection for lenses and holds them to my chest or stomach for when I am crawling or otherwise bent over.

I am glad to see that so many people have tried and liked the Rick Young Bino harness. Although I do like good gear I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to hunting. This is one of the reasons I like the RYO harness. It is THE smallest most lightweight bino harness I’ve seen. It just works!

Philip
It is the multiplicity of configurations as well as the lightness that really set them apart from all other systems.

In the USA, I use an eberlestock nosegunner. It's a bit big, but has room for big binos and a hand gun.
Screen_Shot_2017-02-01_at_1.27.37_PM__74143.1485984553.385.385.png

eberlestock_nosegunner-bino-open.jpg

https://www.eberlestock.com/store/nosegunner
In africa, I just use a paracord strap I made that slides smoothly to hold my binos across my chest, usually resting on my back.
Like this, but my own color selection:
2017-06-08_12.47.17_0f5e4cb5-c04d-4d80-a6a1-7e774b6b4b93_large.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-06-08_12.47.17_0f5e4cb5-c04d-4d80-a6a1-7e774b6b4b93_large.jpg
    2017-06-08_12.47.17_0f5e4cb5-c04d-4d80-a6a1-7e774b6b4b93_large.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 169
  • eberlestock_nosegunner-bino-open.jpg
    eberlestock_nosegunner-bino-open.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Screen_Shot_2017-02-01_at_1.27.37_PM__74143.1485984553.385.385.png
    Screen_Shot_2017-02-01_at_1.27.37_PM__74143.1485984553.385.385.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:
Big fan of the kuiu system. Ruined one too many lenses in other Bino’s. One hand operation, protection for lenses and holds them to my chest or stomach for when I am crawling or otherwise bent over.
This is kinda what I was thinking and seeing as I already have harnesses, I'll probably stick with them.

Pros - Offer excellent protection, already paid for, I know they work and comfortable for all day use. The only down side is how bulky they can be. There is no free lunch, gotta compromise somewhere.

Thanks for all the input.

Just ordered a Rick Young to try for my first trip. Looking forward to trying it with all the recommendations here

I think you'll be really happy with your purchase Mark.. I absolutely love mine.. they are perfect for PG hunting IMO..

Big fan of the Kuiu harness. I have used it on two hunts in Namibia and multiple hunts out west. It keeps the binoculars safe and enclosed, but easily accessible.

Big fan of the Kuiu harness. I have used it on two hunts in Namibia and multiple hunts out west. It keeps the binoculars safe and enclosed, but easily accessible.
Exactly, protecting the investment.
We both love the Kuiu.
The FHF is a more recent addition that I'm still testing out. Like it so far but I think I should have gotten another Kuiu.

Got my Rick Young in. Really like the way it fits and works. Looking forward to using it in June

I’m going to have try out the Rick Young’s. I like simple!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!