Best barrels?

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’ll start by saying, I’m a hunter, I like accurate rifles but they don’t have to drive tacks.

In the past I just let my smith pick the brand of barrel I use based on if he thinks it is a good barrel and availability.

Of the better known brands is there really any difference in quality? If so what do you like and why? And do some companies do some calibers better than others?

Thanks for any input.

Boy, you are going to get a bunch of answers. This is what I have so far.

1. Springfield Armory M1A 7.62, customized by Gunny Hook, and he put Douglas Premium Air Gage barrel on that rifle. That is what he recommended for the M1A, and that is what I put on it. At that time I was shooting NRA High Power Rifle, and for the 175 grs (if my memory serves me well) bullets we were shooting, this is what he recommended.

2. I have a Remington 700 action with a Schneider barrel 7mm STW. This barrel has a Polygon type rifling. The barrel is super accurate, and shoots anything I feed it. However, it's a bit on the heavy size, and if I did this again I would go with a sporting contour type barrel. This is the barrel the smith that built this rifle suggested and I went with it.

Everyone has their preferences.. but once you step into the world of truly premium barrels Im not sure youre going to see much difference in terms of performance when it comes to hunting rifles and hunting scenarios..

Personally, I prefer Shilen.. I started shooting Shilen in the mid 90's and they have always performed well above my personal capabilities, to include when I was working as a "sniper" (law enforcement) and when I was doing some competitive precision shooting stuff.. Now that I live in TX and their factory is just an hour from my home, buying from them is even easier, and the annual "swap meet" they hold every year is an excellent opportunity to pick up one of their hunting grade barrels at significantly discounted prices..

Im sure Hart, Douglass, and any of the newer current "it" barrels are every bit as good.. maybe some are even marginally better.. but if youre talking about a tack driving hunting rifle (sub 1/2" MOA results with factory ammo or better) Shilen will get you there easily..

Theres a .270 in my safe right now with a Shilen with a match grade (not a select match grade which is even higher quality), thin hunting profile barrel on it, in a typical hunting stock, and a typical 3-9x40 optic on it (Zeiss Conquest), built on a 1937 VZ24 action, that will put a 5 round group in a .5 inch circle all day long with federal factory ammo at 100 yards.. Im sure I could get better if I took the time to build a precise hand load.. but.. why?

Last edited:
I have several custom rifles. I prefer to use Hart or Bartlein if using stainless and Proof if going lightweight carbon wrap. A lot of accuracy depends on the smith installing them. Blueprinting of action and how tight tolerances he sets for his standards. Also how new and sharp his chamber reamers are.

I originally was going to say beer barrels or whiskey barrels, but then realize the topic was about gun barrel makers.

I put a Krieger on my Winchester Mod 70 when I converted it to a 404J. My local GS builds a lot of long range bench shooters and uses Bartlein exclusively.

I have 2 rifles with Shilen barrels, a 270 win & a 7x57, 2 with Douglas a 30/06 &308 win, both makers produce very good products . A 6.5 Grendel built on a Ruger 77 with a Pac-Nor barrel
that rifle with 100 grain Nosler BTs is a 5/8 MOA shooter any day. Lother Walther make very good affordable barrels & are selling well in Australia. i have one in 8x57 & a 9.3 x62 on order. I have 2 rifles with IBI barrels a 223 & a 6.5x55 they are made in Canada & appear to be very good barrels very well priced due to the exchange rate with good availability they only do 22 RF, 224,6mm, 6.5 mm 7mm & 308 at the moment i would suggest you have a look a IBI.

BTW, David Tubb used Schneider barrels to win several Camp Perry competitions.

I’m an old timer . Douglas Barrels get my vote .

Pac Nor is OKAY , too . But in my opinion , does not and cannot compare to Douglas .

I've used Douglas and Hart both outstanding. I've also heard Shilen and Krieger are great from friends

Have done Bartlein, Benchmark, Brux , Kreiger, Pac Nor, Shilen and a few lesser known. All of the named have been accurate. Friend just finished a 6.5x47 in a Douglas and it is a tack driver. Doubt one could go wrong with any of them.

Douglas and Shilen are the best I have had. I once had a Shaw screwed onto an action, just fair.

X-Caliber has not been mentioned. Never a bad one from them. For pure customer service and high quality button barrel, Hart all the way. I’ve never bought one of the cut rifled barrels, however the Bartlein guy Frank is super cool and helpful on a few forums. That would be my choice.

I’m going to suggest that you go in a completely different direction. I’ve always been impressed with the civil war era whitworth rifles with whitworth (polygonal) rifling. I have two custom AR’s with black hole polygonally rifled barrels. These barrels clean up in a fraction of the time a cut or button rifled barrel does, and the accuracy is unreal. My 6.5 Grendel is good for 1.5” groups at 300 and my DPMS (cross machine tool) in 7.62 has shot 4” 5 shot groups at 600. These are full custom rigs with trued up faces and match triggers but they show the potential of polygonally rifles barrels. I’m toying with the idea of a long range bolt gun fitted with a black hole barrel. It’s embarrassing that my most accurate rifles are on AR platforms!

I’m going to suggest that you go in a completely different direction. I’ve always been impressed with the civil war era whitworth rifles with whitworth (polygonal) rifling. I have two custom AR’s with black hole polygonally rifled barrels. These barrels clean up in a fraction of the time a cut or button rifled barrel does, and the accuracy is unreal. My 6.5 Grendel is good for 1.5” groups at 300 and my DPMS (cross machine tool) in 7.62 has shot 4” 5 shot groups at 600. These are full custom rigs with trued up faces and match triggers but they show the potential of polygonally rifles barrels. I’m toying with the idea of a long range bolt gun fitted with a black hole barrel. It’s embarrassing that my most accurate rifles are on AR platforms!
This is quite interesting, I will have to look into this. I have always been partial to cut rifling.

I am very surprised that no one has mentioned Lilja barrels? They have won about every competition in the world from Olympic Gold medals to National Bench Rest....
They are also used by most every SF team in the US and Canada and have been put in some of the most incredible custom hunting rifles made! No I don’t work for Lilja but have had several rifles with their barrels and can attest to their accuracy and quality of build! I would own no other if I were rebarreling...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.00.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.00.52 AM.png
    505.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.00.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.00.54 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.00.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 9.00.56 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 56
I am very surprised that no one has mentioned Lilja barrels? They have won about every competition in the world from Olympic Gold medals to National Bench Rest....
They are also used by most every SF team in the US and Canada and have been put in some of the most incredible custom hunting rifles made! No I don’t work for Lilja but have had several rifles with their barrels and can attest to their accuracy and quality of build! I would own no other if I were rebarreling...

Lilja and Krieger seem to always be mentioned in the same breath during discussions of the best barrels for custom builds, with Bartlein, Douglas, and Shilen close seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross