Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
To quote Kevin Robertson " Perfect Shot"............a sable is one animal that will charge a human unprovoked!

Not going to go into the hunt in detail. I had spotted a huge sable bull early in the morning about to cross a stream and decided to quickly back track and meet him on the other side of the stream.

When we got across he was walking broadside about 100 yards from us, we (Bob 86 and @flatwater bill) kept following him parallel. I had gotten Bob up on the shooting sticks 9 times, but just couldn't get the shot.

On the 10th time I got Bob on the sticks, the sable gave us the perfect broadside shot. By now even my heart was pounding in my chest, thinking to myself please please please take the shot.....

BANG!! I could see Bob had hit the sable hard, the sable took off at a speed. We decided to let the sable bleed a bit and let the rest of the trackers catch up to us to start tracking.

After about 15 minutes of tracking, I saw the sable walking, I turned around to get Bob up on the sticks and when I turned to look at the sable he as gone.

A recent fire had burnt much of the vegetation, so not much cover for the sable, couldn't believe he had just disappeared. We walked past where I had seen the sable, 3 trackers, myself, @JustinC , Bob , Bill and Courtney.

The next moment I heard a roar of note from behind us, as I looked around I saw the sable standing on his hind legs, front legs high in the air and making one helleva nose. Before any of us could do a thing the sable was on top of Raymundo, knocking him flying......water bottles went flying ............he was ready to poke us with his horns.........shot rang out and the sable was down.

For the next few moments there was silence amongst us as we just stared at the sable, we couldn't believe what had happened, then the sounds of joy. Bob had just hunted a buffalo a week before, and said @#%@ sable hunting is much more of a ........................

As FWB says in the FWB scoring system.........86 + 42 = 128 and a beer does taste great at 7 30 in the morning.

Bob Gaston sable.jpg

Wow!

They sure know how to use their horns!

Exciting experience Simon!

WOW!

+1!

A recent fire had burnt much of the vegetation, so not much cover for the sable, couldn't believe he had just disappeared. We walked past where I had seen the sable, 3 trackers, myself, @JustinC , Bob , Bill and Courtney.
He must've circled round and found your tracks then got in behind you nice and close with the wind in his favour!! :E Rofl::A Stirring::D Beers:

Simon I'm glad he didn't poke you with those horns! Good story sir!

Never heard that before. great job.

@PeteG , it would have been interesting to see his tracks, should have sent trackers to follow up and see how he got behind us. Hindsight is a bitch.

@CAustin , thanks budddy, wouldn't have been fun having them sticking in you. @MMAL , sable are known to attack, I have been once before on the leg by a sable, was my own stupidity, was too busy warning my apprentice that I took my eyes off a wounded sable for a second, knocked me right over, the sore part was landing on my back and being hit on the mouth by my binocs...

Yep knowing how he got around you would have interesting to know!

Now that creates quite the story. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

.......... Hindsight is a bitch.

Hindsight in this case would have been most useful for Raymundo!

Nothing like a critter with attitude.

Never trust any wild animal.

Good story Simon.

When you hunt enough, interesting things happen to you.

I just might have to have 2 beers at 7:30 a.m, after an exciting episode like that.

Predator becomes prey .
Glad no one was hurt, and you recovered a beautiful bull. Forrest

Simon generously invited me to spend a month assisting him with two hunts in Niassa during Sept/Oct.

Here are a few photos of the trip to hopefully give you an all round feel of the area and what this great area has to offer.

IMG_20161010_162645.jpg
IMG_20161010_170810.jpg
IMG_20161010_214124.jpg
IMG_20161011_090020.jpg
IMG_20161011_174219.jpg
IMG_20161011_214405.jpg
DSC_0078.jpg
DSC_0106.jpg
DSC_0120.jpg
DSC_0155.jpg
DSC_0335.jpg
DSC_0355.jpg
DSC_0395.jpg
DSC_0463.jpg
IMG_20161013_110234.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GiuseppeMc

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you