Barnes original

Jeff Garcia

AH senior member
Joined
Mar 17, 2015
Messages
58
Reaction score
157
Media
11
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Local gun shop has 6 boxes of Barnes original 375 cal 270 grain bullets for sale looking for load data. These are the lead spitzer .049 jackets not in Barnes books 1 or 2
 
A email to Barnes would get you the data.
l would think the load data for the Swift A-Frame would be close, if using it l would start out low for sure.
Years ago before their first reloading manual they sent me a print out of load data for their bullets, but it only shows the heaviest weight per cartridge. I can take a picture of that if you think it would help you.
 
It sure would be a great starting point, I would be running them in a model 700 APG 26” for elk and PG.
 
Have to excuse the scribbling, my daughter decided that was a good spot to do that years ago

4F33F762-ADD0-44D7-89BD-7067451FB894.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Barnes original 375 cal 270 grain bullets load data. .049 jackets

I don't have the data at present but I did some load development about 40 years ago using that bullet along with a few others and I recall the same date could be used in the two rifles that I was using (both M70s) for either the Barnes and the Speer bullets. they even had nearly identical sight settings. If you can't find data for the .049s try the Speer data with the usual disclaimers.
 
I have Barnes #3 on my shelf. what powders are you interested in loads for?
 
Barnes original 375 cal 270 grain bullets load data. .049 jackets

II scrounged up the old records- guess it pays to be a pack-rat, Loads I used for the 270 gr Barnes and Speer (later replaced by the 285 gr) was 70 gr IMR 4064. that was before I had a chronograph so I don't know the velocities, but the trajectories were similar to other loads that had velocities in the 2600 fps range. No doubt higher velocities can be obtained using slower powders, but in those days we just went by what writers recommended and IMR 4064 was what Jack O'Connor used.
 
Thanks have plenty of 4064 on hand. Currently shooting factory Nosler 260 accubond in new to me rifle. Looking to load for under up to 300 yard elk load. Have other choices but 375 does hit hard
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,331
Messages
1,573,212
Members
169,723
Latest member
DominiqueY
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top