Barnes or A frames for croc

Terrible picture , but this is how flat those primers are on the factory Hornady dgs rounds
2AECB430-17B3-44E6-B3B4-FC58F849B5C0.png
 
Can't tell from the primer when out of the case and at that angle. Flattened primers can mean things other than high pressure. However, combined with sticky bolt at 55'. Yep, sounds like excess pressure. Plus 4" groups is not quite good enough for croc and with the likely high pressure issue, I wouldn't not use that ammo to hunt anywhere! Your rifle does not like that ammo.

You need accurate ammo for crocs- heed what everyone is posting. You will likely have a blind or be prone after a sneak or have some kind of rest. May be a waiting game, hard to say. But you really need accuracy at maybe 100 yards or so. Otherwise swoosh gone hit or not never to be seen again. Try those factory TSXs for sure.
 
Both excellent bullets. Use the most accurate for croc.
 
I would NOT attempt to use the bullets you are going to use for buff unless they literally cloverleaf. Use dedicated bullets that are dead on and forget about the convenience of sharing buff loads!
 
Can't tell from the primer when out of the case and at that angle. Flattened primers can mean things other than high pressure. However, combined with sticky bolt at 55'. Yep, sounds like excess pressure. Plus 4" groups is not quite good enough for croc and with the likely high pressure issue, I wouldn't not use that ammo to hunt anywhere! Your rifle does not like that ammo.

You need accurate ammo for crocs- heed what everyone is posting. You will likely have a blind or be prone after a sneak or have some kind of rest. May be a waiting game, hard to say. But you really need accuracy at maybe 100 yards or so. Otherwise swoosh gone hit or not never to be seen again. Try those factory TSXs for sure.
I am limited on powder choices, but I will load 20 of Barnes and 20 of A frames soon and go from there . My ph sets his blinds at 60 meters max, and we will have some range time to double check zero at that specific distance. Hopefully this isn’t a science project on load development, I want to get off the bench and on the sticks as fast as possible.
 
971FFF1F-CEAA-4974-B948-84B0B9019246.jpeg

I used to like RWS TUGs. Today, I prefer the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.
 
It’s all about shot placement on the croc. I shot one with a 280AI with a 175 grain partition and it never moved.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,411
Messages
1,575,332
Members
170,254
Latest member
PalmaGrims
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top