AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada
I’m going to start working on loads for my 375 for buff. I have some decent accuracy from factory Barnes 300 gr tsx ammo , around 1 inch at 100 yards. I have a few hundred 300gr tsx bullets and I think I can tighten that up a bit with hand loads. I also have A frames which I want to load as well. Many on here seem to lean towards A frames for buff with Barnes a close second in popularity. For those who have hunted buff with either of these, which of the 2 options would be best for croc too?
A19F44D3-80D2-45B0-84F0-CFAAFE1E6D42.jpeg

I don’t see you going wrong with either bullet for buff as they are both superb bullets for the application, I have not shot a crock yet but I have killed some big lizards in Texas, Louisiana and Florida and I would have to assume the shooting to be quite similar. Small target area, accuracy is king, so in this case I would find the best shooting load out of your rifle, whether it is an A-Frame or Barnes will not matter as long as it drills into the brain on the first shot.

A frames are great Big Game bullets & Barnes are Ok, common, easier to get & cheaper (at least where I have been) seems the 300gr TSX in the .375 H&H when used on Buffalo just works very well (so does the A Frame & TBBC) so if you have a load that shoots & have plenty of bullets just shoot those a bit then shoot your Croc with them, Crocs are mostly shot in the brain or neck to have them DRT/SRT so either will work if you have a accurate load.

PS a very large percentage of out hunters use the 300gr TSX in the .375 H&H on Buffalo & it works very well !

I

Thank you guys

I don’t see you going wrong with either bullet for buff as they are both superb bullets for the application, I have not shot a crock yet but I have killed some big lizards in Texas, Louisiana and Florida and I would have to assume the shooting to be quite similar. Small target area, accuracy is king, so in this case I would find the best shooting load out of your rifle, whether it is an A-Frame or Barnes will not matter as long as it drills into the brain on the first shot.
Yep….that

They have both worked for me on buffalo. Whichever is the most accurate in your rifle would be the choice for a buff and croc.

I've taken 5 buffalo with Barnes TSX 300 grain bullets and 1 croc with the same. For simplicity, I'd use whatever you are using on buffalo for the croc.

I bought Barnes recently but good luck finding A-frames. They’re not figuring to have any until late summer. Shame because they’re a great bullet but I’m working loads for Barnes now in case I need to make the switch due to availability. I love A-Frames but I haven’t heard anything negative on the 375, 300 grain Barnes either.

For croc- any decent bullet in a 375. Accuracy is everything! Even a huge croc has a small brain.

I bought Barnes recently but good luck finding A-frames. They’re not figuring to have any until late summer. Shame because they’re a great bullet but I’m working loads for Barnes now in case I need to make the switch due to availability. I love A-Frames but I haven’t heard anything negative on the 375, 300 grain Barnes either.
I have quite a few A frames and will put them to good use

They have both worked for me on buffalo. Whichever is the most accurate in your rifle would be the choice for a buff and croc.

What Joe said. Accuracy for that Croc will be paramount.

I am heading over in August specifically for Cape Buffalo and Crocodile.
I worked up a load for my 375 H&H using Barnes 300 gr TSX over 67 gr of RL15. Cloverleafs 3 shots at 100 yards out of my Wimchester Model 70.
I am very confident in this load combination. I am a Barnes fan and load them for a number of different calibers because I have never had a problem with them and the performance for me has been outstanding.

I’m going to start working on loads for my 375 for buff. I have some decent accuracy from factory Barnes 300 gr tsx ammo , around 1 inch at 100 yards. I have a few hundred 300gr tsx bullets and I think I can tighten that up a bit with hand loads. I also have A frames which I want to load as well. Many on here seem to lean towards A frames for buff with Barnes a close second in popularity. For those who have hunted buff with either of these, which of the 2 options would be best for croc too?
View attachment 468677

I wasn’t clear what caliber we were talking but since you mentioned Buffalo too, I’m assuming 375hh?

I honestly don’t like either option very much. Too strong of a bullet.

My son used imr4895 loaded slower with a 260gr Accubond. Worked fine. I think a 260gr partition would stand the chance of sending a fragment into the brain if your shot was off by an inch. Might be even more risk mitigation.

You should seek out a rather weak, soft bullet for croc that opens easily. Same scenario for leopard. An a-frame is the toughest soft that exists and is wonderful, but it’s the opposite of what you want on a small animal like a croc. Barnes wouldn’t likely even begin opening so your basically shooting solids.

Yes this is a 375 h&h . I was wondering if these bullets were too tough to open on shallow vitals. My PH likes spine shots on croc, so I’ll go that route given the opportunity. I can work on other loads as lighter bullets seem to be available. Thanks for the input.

Which ever is the most accurate!!! remember on the croc you are shooting at a golf ball sized brain. or about 2 golf ball sized spine shot depending on what angle the croc is at.

Thanks everyone

Either of the two will do very well.
I would go with the one that shoots most accurately, consistently.
Both are nice strong well constructed bullets. Perfect for the situation youre looking at.
in the past, I favoured the a frame, but the performances i have had recently with monometal Peregrines has me thinking carefully about saying one is better than the other.

Just use the 300gr on every thing don’t change weights for different animals as the bullets must shoot to same point of impart !
The shrapnel of bone from a skull shot will shred the brain, not so sure on a spin shot but shoot it again quickly in the lungs or through both front shoulders, I like to shoot mine when coming out of the water facing land but they can roll very quickly into the water if you miss a vital shot .

I have shot a lot of Crocs over the years & only lost the one I shot off a Cow in the Limpopo but I wasn’t shooting it to recover !

I have an addition question.
I have Hornady 300gr Solids and 300gr DGX bonded rounds for my .375H&H.
I will be hunting Buffalo and my friend a Croc. Any concerns or experience with these factory rounds?
I was thinking first round the DGX and following shots the solids for Buffalo?

I broke my rifle in and got it on paper with hornady solids . They were far over pressured from the factory in my opinion. Primers were as flat as they could be, and bolt was a bit sticky. It was around 55 degrees outside, so it wasn’t the heat. They also shot around 4 inch groups at 100 yards. Knowing that, I wouldn’t take them to a hotter climate. I personally have never hunted with either of these hornady bullets, but from what I’ve read on here I wouldn’t take them over, there are just better options available. Barnes has 375 h&h 300 gr tsx loaded ammunition readily available . If I was stuck to factory ammo, I would go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross