Baldwin Bolt Jeweling?? Problem Help

It's no big deal to remove the jeweling from extractor. The bolt issue ... well, that's a more complicated problem. May be a blessing anyway. Those should be fitted to the rifle.
Yes I had planned on polishing the extractor with some Flitz. The bolt handle had been fitted and marked where it needed to be welded. The placement was perfect, the weld was just shoddy. Never even got to fire it.

WHAT A PISSER. NEVER WOUDA THOUGHT. GUESS ALL GOOD THINGS COME TO AN END.

Conclusion to the Skip Baldwin saga:
Skip emailed me Wednesday night stating he had finished the bolt and sent it out for shipping. He said the work performed would normally total $130, but he would accept $50 for the delay, and he apologized for the delay. I checked the provided tracking number, and it did ship as he stated.
I received the bolt today (Friday), and unpackaged it. First thing I noticed was that he had also jeweled the extractor, which I specifically asked him not to (in writing), but all the work appeared to be done well. I slid the bolt in my gun, dry cycled it twice, and the bolt handle fell off (see picture below). Needless to say he has wasted my time and I will never, ever, do business with him again.View attachment 597515View attachment 597514

Did he weld it?

Well that truly blows the donkey!
it would make me extremely uncomfortable to send any gun parts to someone not within driving distance of my home, By someone I don’t have a personal relationship with!
all of my compition shotgun , pistol and rifle metal work , has been done by briley in Houston
and wood or bedding jobs by Alex in San Antonio

sorry this happened to you!

1/4" dowel in a drill press with some lapping compound and a vise to hold it, you can jewel it yourself. If you don't mind random jeweling, use a hand drill.

Would not have expected that from Baldwin

Would not have expected that from Baldwin
Me neither, I had heard a lot of good things and his prices are fair. The only reason I started this thread was to possibly receive some help getting my bolt back, not to bash anyone. I feel like Skip is probably a good guy, he just handled my business VERY poorly.
I sent him an email with pictures expressing my disappointment. He said that he probably should have ground away more material, and tig, instead of mig welded it. He offered to do this on an expedited timeline. Unfortunately at this point I can’t trust that it will be done correctly, in a timely manner, with a reliable line of communication.

I like the slogan written under LRI

IMG_3802.jpeg

The gun is headed to Bruce Farman and Ed LaPour to be finished. I’m confident they’ll get it done.
Hope they get it done in time. Welding bolt handles requires care. The clown who welded the new bolt handle on the Brno vz.24 Mauser action I bought for 404 build let it get too hot and warped the end of the bolt. Truing it up required a couple days careful tweeking and a lot of thinking outside the box.

Me neither, I had heard a lot of good things and his prices are fair. The only reason I started this thread was to possibly receive some help getting my bolt back, not to bash anyone. I feel like Skip is probably a good guy, he just handled my business VERY poorly.
I sent him an email with pictures expressing my disappointment. He said that he probably should have ground away more material, and tig, instead of mig welded it. He offered to do this on an expedited timeline. Unfortunately at this point I can’t trust that it will be done correctly, in a timely manner, with a reliable line of communication.
At least he cut you a deal on the price. I guess the jeweling alone is worth fifty bucks. Seems you got your money's worth.

MIG welded a bolt handle? SMHx10. He probably told the truth, his TIG welding machine is out of commission. I wouldn't get him to run a screw in a receiver. YMMV.

MIG welded a bolt handle? SMHx10. He probably told the truth, his TIG welding machine is out of commission. I wouldn't get him to run a screw in a receiver. YMMV.

^This for sure.

MIG is great in production fabrication. Fine work? Kinda clumsy. Silver solder works great too, lots of gunsmiths who can’t weld are successful using it. The guy clearly has something going on behind the curtain.

^This for sure.

MIG is great in production fabrication. Fine work? Kinda clumsy. Silver solder works great too, lots of gunsmiths who can’t weld are successful using it. The guy clearly has something going on behind the curtain.
I've had my expert weld bud silver solder a Remington 700 bolt handle. Many customs use a one piece bolt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.