Bailey Bradshaw 7x65R Rising Block

Why thank you so much for educating me , Mr. Rook Hawk . During the time of my career , I have only seen the 7x57 mm Mauser and 7 mm Remington magnum .
Both the 7x64 and 7x65R are popular in Europe. of the two, the 7x64 is somewhat more common in the US because it is designed for bolt action use.

Why thank you so much for educating me , Mr. Rook Hawk . During the time of my career , I have only seen the 7x57 mm Mauser and 7 mm Remington magnum .

the 7x65r and 7x64 brenneke never caught on in India, Britain, or America. They were somewhat common in South Africa and Namibia and they are very popular in Europe.

usually, the gun in these calibers is quite beautiful and high quality. I’ve not seen an economy rifle in these calibers.

the 7x65r and 7x64 brenneke never caught on in India, Britain, or America. They were somewhat common in South Africa and Namibia and they are very popular in Europe.

usually, the gun in these calibers is quite beautiful and high quality. I’ve not seen an economy rifle in these calibers.
Any idea why that is the case? I can see how the 270 and 280 would box out the 7x64/65r in America, but I would think that with the popularity of the 7x57 in Britian, it would be a natural fit when needing longer reach like when chasing stag in the highlands. I would also have expected that with the military cartridge bans, it would have seen some popularity in former colonies like India.

Any idea why that is the case? I can see how the 270 and 280 would box out the 7x64/65r in America, but I would think that with the popularity of the 7x57 in Britian, it would be a natural fit when needing longer reach like when chasing stag in the highlands. I would also have expected that with the military cartridge bans, it would have seen some popularity in former colonies like India.

In the USA the 7mm Mauser was king. Then the .270 competed for it and took some of its shine thanks to Jack O’Connor.

Then came the renewed interest in higher power 7mm rifles and America fawned over the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart and the 7x64 brenneke. A nanosecond later the .280 Remington and the 7mm Remington Magnum came along and sucked the air out of the room for the European 7mm cartridges.

Shame the deer aren't cooperating. They just have no respect for a beautiful, unique and functional piece of art. Congratulations on a fine acquisition

More like difference in .308 vs 30-06 I think. At least that’s what I have been told.

probably the British and French interest in American rifles and calibers. The 280 Rem was a great seller in UK/France so that stymied the 7x64/7x65r a bit. Of course the 280AI sort of put the whoop on all of them too.

my 9 year old shoots a 7x64 (he’ll use it next month for pronghorn, last year for oryx) and I’ve hunted deer with a 7x65r combo gun. Neither of these rifles hold a candle to the masterpiece Redleg owns, however.

For comparison, a 7x57 puts out 14 pounds of recoil and the 7x64/7x65r puts out 17-19lbs of recoil. While brisk, that’s less than a 30-06 and the 7mm provides magical ballistics and great stopping power for such a small caliber. They work well for elk and smaller, kudu and smaller, European moose and smaller.

In the USA the 7mm Mauser was king. Then the .270 competed for it and took some of its shine thanks to Jack O’Connor.

Then came the renewed interest in higher power 7mm rifles and America fawned over the 7x61 Sharpe & Hart and the 7x64 brenneke. A nanosecond later the .280 Remington and the 7mm Remington Magnum came along and sucked the air out of the room for the European 7mm cartridges.
I built a 7x61 S&H in the late 70's and shot a lot with it till I moved back to the 7x57 for a number of years and now have 6.5's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg