Bad Luck or Good Luck?

Jake, I agree with you. When it happened it seemed like a bad thing but with time and a bit of perspective, it is clear this was a stroke of extremely good luck.

I'm sure the 375 will fit the bill. Have you figured different loads or will you keep it simple and shoot solids? Best of luck. Remember 100 grains in the right place beats 1000 grains in the wrong spot glad your breakdown is now as opposed to later. Cheers
Jacques

I agree it is better now than over there. It sounds like there may have been a heat treatment problem and the lip became brittle. The good news is that it should be repairable in time for my trip!

Understood. I certainly would assume they would "fix" it.... yikes. Not to mention GMA actions are not cheap!

The reason I mentioned "questioning" GM about it is that is the most critical part of the bolt and in some ways the whole action. Not that small case head retainer nub necessarily but that end of the bolt. The break fracture line does appear to be very crystalline in nature which suggests brittle. If I were the boss or one of the bosses at GMA, it would make me pucker. The QC of those critical components simply cannot be compromised.

I agree it is better now than over there. It sounds like there may have been a heat treatment problem and the lip became brittle. The good news is that it should be repairable in time for my trip!

Wait.. How'd I miss this prior?????

So your GMA is going to be repaired in time for the trip...

AND you got a new .375 H&H R8 out of the deal?

This is STELLAR LUCK! :):):):)

Wait.. How'd I miss this prior?????

So your GMA is going to be repaired in time for the trip...

AND you got a new .375 H&H R8 out of the deal?

This is STELLAR LUCK! :):):):)
It is starting to look that way!

Understood. I certainly would assume they would "fix" it.... yikes. Not to mention GMA actions are not cheap!

The reason I mentioned "questioning" GM about it is that is the most critical part of the bolt and in some ways the whole action. Not that small case head retainer nub necessarily but that end of the bolt. The break fracture line does appear to be very crystalline in nature which suggests brittle. If I were the boss or one of the bosses at GMA, it would make me pucker. The QC of those critical components simply cannot be compromised.

My gunsmith told me he saw this once before about 8 years ago. I expressed concern about the bolt being brittle. He reassured me that the bolt was safe. He explained the metallurgy involved and it appears the surface hardening got deep enough to render the lip hard and brittle all the way through because it is so thin but that it didn't adversely affect the rest of the bolt. He reports they are now annealing the lip to prevent the problem and he's going to follow up with them.

Be carefully, not to fall in love with the Blaser R8......you will be lost forever....

;)

HWL

Sounds like you have great luck, both in having the rifle break at home and having a wife who's telling you to buy a spare :)

It's always a good idea to have a back up rifle. The Blaser R8 is an excellent option.

Sounds like you have great luck, both in having the rifle break at home and having a wife who's telling you to buy a spare :)

once again showing how extremely important it is to marry right!

My problem is that when and if I have a problem like that I've then lost confidence in that manufacturer. I don't want the gun fixed I want it gone. I'm jealous of the Blaser you've got but I must add to this discussion that I have lots of guns and a Ruger has never let me down. I am however done with Remington rifles.
Still want a R8 though
Regards
Philip

I picked up the R8 on Wednesday. It is a very slick system. Synthetic stock, factory made, no sentimental value: the perfect utilitarian tool. I very much like it. The straight pull bolt is really quick (and smooth once I greased the rails; I am surprised it was shipped dry). The system shortens the the action by about 3 inches vs. a conventional bolt and makes for a very compact and handy rifle; the light weight (a bit under 8 pounds by my scale) makes it a delight to carry. The only downside is that is pretty light for a 375 so the recoil is substantial.

Assuming my now-repaired 404 proves itself, that is the rifle I'll be using. I consider the 404 a true dangerous game cartridge vs the 375 as a highly versatile cartridge suitable for dangerous game. But I am very very happy to have a backup rifle. To have one that is an extremely nice rifle in its own right is outstanding.

I'm sure the 375 will fit the bill. Have you figured different loads or will you keep it simple and shoot solids? Best of luck. Remember 100 grains in the right place beats 1000 grains in the wrong spot glad your breakdown is now as opposed to later. Cheers
Jacques

Woodleigh hydrostatics and X-bullets, assuming they both group reasonably close to point of aim at shooting distances. Otherwise, it will be just the hydros. No interest in having to change hold or re-zero the weapon on a hunt.

Clearly the gods are against me taking my 404. I got it back and it has been working perfectly. I've been practicing with it daily and it is really working for me. I put a new sling on to see if it would be more comfortable for long carrying than the one I usually use. Tonight as I was walking back towards the house I thought to myself, I want to change the sling back to the old, this one doesn't doesn't feel secure enough for some reason. Two steps later, the rifle fell to the ground and apparently landed exactly the wrong way. Cracked right across the wrist, despite having an extended metal tang specifically installed to support the wrist against any shock.

Blaser R8 it is. Assuming I get the SAPS permit in time.

What a frigging drag! I am very sorry to hear about the broken stock. That just sucks.

The lesson here is to get the paperwork done for your primary and backup rifle. Just like you only find out your wiper blades need replacing when it rains, you'll only break your rifle while it is out of the rack. Which of course will be while you are practicing with it leading up to your hunt.

The lesson here is to get the paperwork done for your primary and backup rifle. Just like you only find out your wiper blades need replacing when it rains, you'll only break your rifle while it is out of the rack. Which of course will be while you are practicing with it leading up to your hunt.
Probably great advice

Rifle shipped to across the country, repaired, and now back in my hands.

The repair involved epoxy and a steel rod and is completely undetectable. With the steel in there it should be stronger than new.

Just shot it and it didn't even lose zero.

I need to run the action a lot in the next few days. I've been practicing with my backup rifle which is a straight pull design so I'm a bit clumsy with the Mauser action. It will come back quickly.

I hope your 404 Jeffery is done providing you with surprises. The idea of having a backup rifle on a safari is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. One rifle for heavier / larger game and a back-up that is capable but maybe not optimal for the animals being considered. No one, I mean no one is going to question the pair of rifles you are taking. With all of the aforementioned issues it is obvious to me that you have nothing but good luck going for you.

Now you just need a backup for the backup 416 Rigby is in between your 404 and 375 just saying:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg