Back-up Bow or not?

AirborneMan21

Reaction score
Hello I’m curious if I should take a back-up bow with me on my hunt? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Is a bow the only weapon you are taking with you?

Ive never considered it before.. whenever I have taken my bow to Africa, I also take a rifle..

But if I wasnt bringing a rifle.. I'd probably think about a back up.. If it gets lost in transit.. or something breaks/malfunctions while you are there.. youre stuck...

On a rifle hunt if your rifle goes missing or breaks down, there is always the option of renting a rifle from your PH/Outfitter..

I supposed the same thing MIGHT be possible with a bow.. but its a whole lot harder to adapt to a new/unfamiliar bow than it is to pick up someone elses rfle and make it work..

And then in my specific case... Im a lefty.. so the chance/probability that my PH is going to have a suitable LH bow laying around that I can borrow is very slim...

To start with do you have a two bow bow case?

If hunting with a bow is that important to you then by all means take a second one, but what happens if that case gets lost in transit? You will still not have something to hunt with for at least a couple of days until it gets found.

I wouldn't worry about it and just rent a rifle from the outfitter if something happens to your bow.

You can try to cover everything that might come up but there comes a time when you just need to give it up.

Back in the 80's when I first started dreaming of going to Africa that was the norm. I seem to recall the suggestion being two bows plus back up strings. Now it's not, and to be honest I'd need a bow press to change a string, so I'd need a pro shop. A single bow is the norm anymore.

I've done four trips to southern Africa (2-Namibia,2-RSA) with a single bow and not once had an issue. And I'm not alone. Not saying something can't happen, but it's rare. Honestly you're just as likely to have an issue on a domestic trip. RSA has a few good shops should you need anything.

Also, if you're going through Amsterdam be warned, don't take broadheads through the Netherlands. Apparently they don't allow them. This was a concern in my latest trip a month ago. I just got ny outfitter to order some up and had them waiting when I arrived.

I wouldn't worry about it and just rent a rifle from the outfitter if something happens to your bow.

I agree

Unless you are hunting with a bow only outfitter, there will be a back up rifle plan. I would speculate many bow hunters eventually rent a rifle the last couple days if the success is only so-so.

Even if you are with a bow hunting only establishment and they won't let you use a rifle on their land, I would think the owner could get you hunting in a few phone calls and a few hours. Be flexible with the cost bc the quote will probably go up. Before I booked, I would want reassurance that some sort of backup plan could be made on the fly.

When i do a fly in moose hunt i always bring a back up crossbow, its easy enough that if one of the groups bows has issues you can literally pick it up and go. Last fall buddy didn't feel comfortable with his bow on a moose, played with his confidence a bit, used my crossbow the next day and got the moose.
Going to Africa will present a whole new set of problems though, check out rifle rentals just in case

My best advise, don't skimp on the case. I use an SKB double bow case. I only have one bow I take but I packed my ammo in a box that went in between the string/cables and riser. Add the arrows in a tube, various equipment and use most of my clothing as packing and nothing moves and everything has survived just fine. I have packed other things in there on past trips, again, no issues. TSA here or the police in RSA should do any inspections right in front of you and either let you lock it or take the pad locks from you to lock it, and then it isn't opened again until you arrive at final destination.

I always take a back up bow on all my bowhunting trips. If you do have trouble no since in wasting a day of hunting. I figure most bowhunting operations in SA will have a bow press. If not there will be a bow shop within a couple hours. I have been to a archery shop in namibia they did have the basic stuff. You should be just fine with one bow. I take also extra string and cables,peep,string loop, and portable press. If your worried about being over weight on bags I pack light on clothes

Take an extra bow if possible. You don’t want to give up anytime on your hunt trying to fix a problem. Africa will have enough things that will throw a curve at you.

Every away trip, daughter and I both, two bows. Two cases, one of hers & one of mine in each. Never leave home without all four. Murphy will show up.

I had contemplated doing an archery safari instead of a rifle safari but hadn't thought about taking two bows. Now it seems like a good idea. I've actually read of bow troubles if Africa on this forum so it does happen. Heck, the bow I use only set me back $250 so another $250-300 seems like cheap insurance.

I agree

Unless you are hunting with a bow only outfitter, there will be a back up rifle plan. I would speculate many bow hunters eventually rent a rifle the last couple days if the success is only so-so.

Even if you are with a bow hunting only establishment and they won't let you use a rifle on their land, I would think the owner could get you hunting in a few phone calls and a few hours. Be flexible with the cost bc the quote will probably go up. Before I booked, I would want reassurance that some sort of backup plan could be made on the fly.
two trips over, neither my daughter nor I even considered using one of their rifles. On both trips, it was an option and the PHs told us upfront we could use their rifle if need be.
On my daughter's hunt it was not going well, conditions were not great for bowhunting, so the animals were not giving us shot opportunities. One day, when an animal on her list was hung up just out of bow range, the PH asked if she wanted to use his rifle and she never hesitated. Said, "no thank you, bow or go home"
For us, it's not about the killing, it is all about the experience. Call us crazy.....

Hello I’m curious if I should take a back-up bow with me on my hunt? Thanks for the advice in advance.
If it is practical for you to take a backup bow as in having a 2-bow case, by all means do so. However, this alone will not solve your problem should they lose your bow case. I also agree with others that advise it's a good idea to have a portable bow press, extra string/cable, extra peep, extra launcher for your rest, and a set of Allen wrenches and some assorted spare nuts & bolts specific to your bow, etc...

I would also advise contacting your outfitter well in advance to get first-hand knowledge of what is available to you in their area if you should have an no-show bow or equipment emergency. In my experiences, the nearest thing to a real bow shop may be hours away... I have traveled with my bow extensively and thankfully never had any serious issues beyond my sights being out of whack upon arrival. Thankfully, I was able to sort out with some quick re-tuning at the camp's practice range.

I did share camp with a gentleman in Africa who's bow was lost by the airline. The outfitter (Limcroma Safaris) had a couple of bows in camp with adjustable draw lengths. They set up one for him to hunt with until his bow arrived a couple of days later. Most of the PH's there were also avid bow hunters willing to lend him a bow if necessary. I believe he shot his best animals with the spare bow... It was a trip saver for him to have hunted with an outfitter prepared for such occurrences. So, ask those questions before you go.

If it is practical for you to take a backup bow as in having a 2-bow case, by all means do so. However, this alone will not solve your problem should they lose your bow case. I also agree with others that advise it's a good idea to have a portable bow press, extra string/cable, extra peep, extra launcher for your rest, and a set of Allen wrenches and some assorted spare nuts & bolts specific to your bow, etc...

I would also advise contacting your outfitter well in advance to get first-hand knowledge of what is available to you in their area if you should have an no-show bow or equipment emergency. In my experiences, the nearest thing to a real bow shop may be hours away... I have traveled with my bow extensively and thankfully never had any serious issues beyond my sights being out of whack upon arrival. Thankfully, I was able to sort out with some quick re-tuning at the camp's practice range.

I did share camp with a gentleman in Africa who's bow was lost by the airline. The outfitter (Limcroma Safaris) had a couple of bows in camp with adjustable draw lengths. They set up one for him to hunt with until his bow arrived a couple of days later. Most of the PH's there were also avid bow hunters willing to lend him a bow if necessary. I believe he shot his best animals with the spare bow... It was a trip saver for him to have hunted with an outfitter prepared for such occurrences. So, ask those questions before you go.
I’m going through Barefoot African Safaris. They have their own pro shop an hour away.

The Chicoms are making a el-cheapo bow press for about $40 now. Lancaster sells them as a Synnex. I would suggest at minimum, that super portable bow press and a spare set of strings and cables is a good idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross