B. Searcy 500/416 NE

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
this is a continuation of the discussion in the "Chapuis or Merkel?" thread.

a recap, my Sabatti 450/400 NE 3" was having trouble so I decided to send it back. while searching for a new rifle in 450/400 NE 3" I stumbled across this gem in a caliber ive been interested in. after a number of emails and a phone call, me and the seller agreed on a price.

I do not have the rifle yet and probably wont get it for 3-4 weeks due to both me and the seller having busy schedules. but im sure it will be worth the wait!

the rifle is coming with everything in the pictures except the zebra pelt. these are a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20, Talley QD rings, 60 rounds of Superior brand ammunition, and the B. Searcy case.

here are pictures taken by the seller:

whole gun.jpg

stock.jpg
right side.jpg
left side.jpg
bottom.jpg
forgrip.jpg
top.jpg
sight.jpg
reciever.jpg
gun and case.jpg
ammo.jpg
gun, ammo, scope.jpg

Last edited:
Man, you must be excited!

Great looking rifle!

Awesome pick-up Matt !

I've had a few B.Searcy rifles come through my camp at various times, in various calibers, and all have been well finished, quality made weapons that generally shoot better than anyone could expect a double to shoot.
Heck of a caliber, versatile and powerful, heck of a double !

Well done.

Brace yourself, initially you will find the recoil quite "brisk", but certainly nothing you wont become accustomed to with a little familiarity.

This one could be a "keeper" !

Good hunting and good shooting.

It's interesting that the screws aren't timed correctly. IMO someone has been into the internals.

Other than that it looks very nice.

It's interesting that the screws aren't timed correctly. IMO someone has been into the internals.

good find, I hadn't noticed that. that does concern me... I will have to ask the seller about it.

edit: im also going to send an email to B. Searcy and Co. asking if they will take a look at the rifle to make sure nothing has been modified.

-matt

Last edited:
I'd try it out and see just what it does first then see about returning it for a exam by Butch.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT try to tighten them yourself with out properly fitting a 'turn screw' to the screws! If they will turn down a bit with your thumbnail fine, but don't use a screwdriver.

Just for a FYI there is a gent who used to be Butch's shop foreman when he was in Sturgis SD that builds an awesome base for mounting a Leupy, Bushnell or other holographic red dots on that rib.
One heck of a `smith IMO. He put that rib on my Searcy and did a tune up on a Winkler from Ferlach. This fall I'll be sending him a 132 year old Alex Henry for an adjustment.

now that ive realized the screws aren't timed correctly its going to bug me until I have them fixed. I sent an email to B. Searcy asking if they would inspect the rifle and fix the screws. if they find nothings been modified inside the gun then its not a problem.

sounds good AkMike, does he have a website?

-matt

just heard back from the seller (talk about a quick response!). he said he has never had any work done on the rifle so it must have been opened by the previous owner. this is all the more reason to have the gun checked out by B. Searcy.

-matt

Perhaps one of the previous owners had a smith work on the triggers, or maybe Butch simply didn't time the screws on this particular model ?
Good idea to check it out before putting a few boxes through it for sure, but i'm sure not too much to stress about.

The B.Searcy brand of double rifles carries with it one of the most esteemed reputations for after sales service. Even though all warranties may have expired, you can rest assured it would be given the very best check/over-hall from the original manufacturer, who fortunately, resides in your own country, very handily avoiding exporting/importing costs and paperwork.

Great loads you got with it too.
Barnes X's and ( I think) the old Barnes Banded solid which was AWESOME, until they removed it from the market.
You have 30 rounds each right there of some of the finest buffalo and Elephant loads available.
You should try contact Superior and ask if they'll share the load, if the rifle is regulated for that load, or vice/versa.

Paul,, I can guarantee that Searcy never let a rifle out with the screws set like that! :whistle:

It'll be your rifle and you can send anywhere you wish. BUT I'd shoot it and see what it shoots like then look for a good `smith that will properly fit a turnscrew and have it taken care of. I'm sure it's no big deal it's just unsightly IMO.

PaulT, I didn't even think about whether those were the old style solids. I really hope they are cause im not fond of the new design. on the note of the old style barnes X bullets... didn't those cause problems with double rifles?

my thoughts on sending the gun to the manufacturer are: if they say the gun hasn't been modified then the factory might still cover any future trouble should I have any. if its been modified then any warranty is void. not saying I still wont take the gun since I can always have someone else work on it, but it would be nice to know.

-matt

That rifle won't have any warranty from Searcy. He changed that to honor the original owner only. It'll be on your nickel if there's a problem. (Slim slight outside chance)

That's why I used his former shop foreman instead of waiting for Searcy to have an opening in his schedule. And since it's pre 96 he's probably already had his fingers in it when it was built in Sturgis.

Matt as a matter of interest did you return the Sabatti or do you still own it and it has been returned for repair ?

this is a continuation of the discussion in the "Chapuis or Merkel?" thread.

a recap, my Sabatti 450/400 NE 3" was having trouble so I decided to send it back. while searching for a new rifle in 450/400 NE 3" I stumbled across this gem in a caliber ive been interested in. after a number of emails and a phone call, me and the seller agreed on a price.

I do not have the rifle yet and probably wont get it for 3-4 weeks due to both me and the seller having busy schedules. but im sure it will be worth the wait!

the rifle is coming with everything in the pictures except the zebra pelt. these are a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5x20, Talley QD rings, 60 rounds of Superior brand ammunition, and the B. Searcy case.

here are pictures taken by the seller:

View attachment 28259
View attachment 28260 View attachment 28261 View attachment 28262 View attachment 28263 View attachment 28264 View attachment 28265 View attachment 28266 View attachment 28267 View attachment 28268 View attachment 28269 View attachment 28270

That's a beauty, I like it.

Wow,,this rifle looks like a twin of the one I'm buying. They could be sisters.LOL. Nice rifle.

PaulT, I didn't even think about whether those were the old style solids. I really hope they are cause im not fond of the new design. on the note of the old style barnes X bullets... didn't those cause problems with double rifles?

my thoughts on sending the gun to the manufacturer are: if they say the gun hasn't been modified then the factory might still cover any future trouble should I have any. if its been modified then any warranty is void. not saying I still wont take the gun since I can always have someone else work on it, but it would be nice to know.

-matt

Matt85

My understanding of cautionary articles written on the subject of monolithic bullets in double rifles is that antique rifles might be at risk with those harder-to-compress projectiles.

The whole idea seems to be that the relatively thin muzzles (compared to a bolt action or single shot in same caliber) bulge slightly, then return to original shape, if a too hard projectile is forced through.

I theory, barrel steels that have become less flexible over the past 100 years or so, might pop free of their moorings at the muzzles (solder lets go between rib and barrel).

Some folks go so far as to say one should avoid any kind of reinforced bullet in antique doubles (North Fork, Swift A-Frame, Bear Claw, etc.).

I personally have not spoken with anyone who has actually experienced damage done to a double, antique or otherwise, by hard bullets.

Therefore, I do not claim to know if any of that is true or not.

However, to be safe, I have avoided monometal bullets in my old A&N .450 No2 (muzzles shown in my avatar here).

But I will admit that this particular rifle regulated best with Hornady DGX and DGS which, are steel jacketed / over lead core.

The steel is plated with softer metal (copper or guilding metal of some sort) to help slow the erosion of the riflings.

These steel jacketed bullets must also be resistant to compression as well I should think?

Well anyway, that is all I have read about it.

Stay on that front sight,
Velo Dog.

thanks for the info Velo Dog. i think i will use Barnes TSX in this rifle, my PH loves them and strongly recommended that i use them for my upcoming buffalo hunt. also, you mentioned Swift A-frames as being bad for older rifles. to my knowledge the A-frame bullet is made of almost pure lead with a pure copper jacket. the only reason its holds together is becuase it uses a dual core design thats also bonded. (i could be wrong)

Matt as a matter of interest did you return the Sabatti or do you still own it and it has been returned for repair ?

i returned the Sabatti for a refund, the gun had become too much trouble. i still hadnt found a load that would regulate properly and then it started having issues when opened. even if the gun was fixed it would have been a long process of finding a load that would regulate since the load it was supposed to be regulated for did not regulate well (factory hornady). in defence of the smith who reregulated the gun... hornady ammunition sucks! with my experience no two boxs shoot the same.

i will let you all know how the gun shoots once it gets here in about 3-4 weeks or so.

-matt

Last edited:
If it shoots half as good as it looks......keeper!

I really like the idea of the 500/416. When I finally start looking for a double, that chambering will be high on my list.

thanks for the info Velo Dog. i think i will use Barnes TSX in this rifle, my PH loves them and strongly recommended that i use them for my upcoming buffalo hunt. also, you mentioned Swift A-frames as being bad for older rifles. to my knowledge the A-frame bullet is made of almost pure lead with a pure copper jacket. the only reason its holds together is becuase it uses a dual core design thats also bonded. (i could be wrong)

i returned the Sabatti for a refund, the gun had become too much trouble. i still hadnt found a load that would regulate properly and then it started having issues when opened. even if the gun was fixed it would have been a long process of finding a load that would regulate since the load it was supposed to be regulated for did not regulate well (factory hornady). in defence of the smith who reregulated the gun... hornady ammunition sucks! with my experience no two boxs shoot the same.

i will let you all know how the gun shoots once it gets here in about 3-4 weeks or so.

-matt

Hi again Matt85,

Swift A-Frame is the last bullet I would refer to as bad.
It is in fact my favorite premium/bonded soft and all other premium softs are 2nd best, or worse (in my grumpy old man opinion).
It is however a bullet that some folks believe is too well reinforced to compress easily and therefore in theory, possibly capable of separating the muzzles on antique doubles.
I suppose they are referring to the stout looking partition in those.
It is unknown to me personally but, I have read warning(s) to that affect.

If I keep on in this vain, I will end up re-typing my above post to you.
No point in that since you can simply read it again for clarification.

My parting shot is that hopefully your new double "likes" the TSX bullets as much as you do.
You are wise to use whatever bullets (and other equipment) that your PH recommends, I generally do the same.
Likely your Searcy will in fact regulate with them, using the right powder/velocity combination.
If it does not, you can experiment with the TSX by trying various powders and primers, spacers/overpowder wads, etc., etc.
Finding that sweet spot is actually part of the fun.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg