AUSTRALIA: Aussie Boar

Guy.G

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I headed out in the heat over the Xmas break to catch up with a mate and see if we could find a pig or two. This was the best boar we got, not a bad boar for the area I hunt. Here is a few pics.

DSCN1267 (2).jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

DSCN1272.jpg

Congratulations on a fine boar. I never could say what makes hog hunting so addictive, but I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I don't get my annual "fix".

Nice hog, by the way your shot placement is exactly where I try to put all of mine. DRT, no meat loss, no searching.

Very nice !

Congrats! This is a nice pig.

Congrats on your success in the heat.

What method to hunt them; Stand, bait or spot and stalk?

What rifle and caliber Guy?

Its a custom winchester model 70 in 35 whelen. Purpose build as a pig rifle as that is the majority of my hunting. Heres a pic.
IMG_5039.jpg

Congratulations on a fine boar. I never could say what makes hog hunting so addictive, but I'd hate to see what would happen to me if I don't get my annual "fix".

Yes I am also addicted to hunting hogs, I manage to get out every couple of months.

Nice hog, by the way your shot placement is exactly where I try to put all of mine. DRT, no meat loss, no searching.

I hit him front on from about 130 metres with a 225 gn woodleigh round nose, the projectile ended between his back legs. heres a picture of the recovered pill its on the right.

DSCN1293.jpg

Congrats on your success in the heat.

What method to hunt them; Stand, bait or spot and stalk?

In the hotter months I like to stalk in on the water, looking for boars in wallows or bedded down close by. We waited for this boar to water at dusk as we could see where he had been wallowing for days.

Last edited:
Wish I could do that every couple of months! I've only made it to Texas twice, but both were really fun times! Once a combination blind, spot and stalk and with hounds. The second was from a helicopter.
Some nice tusks there!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

I like your choice of calibers. The 35 Whelen is an excellent cartridge for Eland/Elk sized "antelopes." Bear and Hogs. My sons and I have use bullets ranging from 200 to 250 Gr. with devastating effect.

Xmas pork !!
Nice piggy Guy .
Didn't get away this xmas for a hunt but ,
Did the same as you last Xmas .
Heres mine From NZ, good times .

IMG_0467.jpg
IMG_0468.JPG

Very nice boar!!! Absolutely stunning rifle! Congrats!

@wipartimer
If you didn't get your annual fix you would probably be doing 10 to life.
I know how you feel.
Bob

Its a custom winchester model 70 in 35 whelen. Purpose build as a pig rifle as that is the majority of my hunting. Heres a pic.
View attachment 169769

Yes I am also addicted to hunting hogs, I manage to get out every couple of months.

I hit him front on from about 130 metres with a 225 gn woodleigh round nose, the projectile ended between his back legs. heres a picture of the recovered pill its on the right.

View attachment 169768

In the hotter months I like to stalk in on the water, looking for boars in wallows or bedded down close by. We waited for this boar to water at dusk as we could see where he had been wallowing for days.
@Guy.G
Love the rife and the caliber. I use the 225 grain PPSP @ 2950 fps in my Whelen. Hammers the crap out of them.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois