Are the new Hornady cartridges necessary?

This question can be seen differently if you are new to hunting/shooting. Imagine buying your very first rifle right now. If you did a basic level of research and then went to a gun shop, you would probably end up with one of the PRC flavors.
5-10% “better” is a real number in truck horsepower, or your annual income. There really isn’t a 5-10% more dead when hunting. Those numbers sell things to people who don’t really know.
Those that do know enjoy the experimentation.

I bought a 6.5 creedmoor in 2017 because a variety of people said it is a great caliber for kids. I needed a rifle for a 12 year old. It is a great caliber for kids. That was the beginning of a spree of rifle purchases. Now that I’m a few years wiser, I would still have bought the 6.5CM because now ammo availability is excellent.
Today, ammo availability nationally and internationally is a major factor in my consideration. 7 rm mag, .375H&H, .270 Win, .300 WM, and the 6.5CM are all safe selections and are what we use. Give the PRC 10 years and if it is like the 6.5CM, then awesome!

It's a matter of competition. Need for accuracy has driven much of the cartridge development. the roads to accuracy involve reducing time of flight, reduced variation and maintaining initial velocity. subtle changes in cartridge and rifle design result in slight advances in accuracy. when you are competing against other shooter every advantage can mean the difference between wining and losing. So development to the next cartridge, rifling twist, bullet shape continues.
However, if we are talking about just putting a bullet into the boiler room of a deer a 150- 200 yards all of the development is not needed so an old reliable 30-30 or 30-06 will be perfectly adequate.

I would propose that the real improvement these hornady cartridges make is for new shooters getting into it. For instance someone like me who doesn’t have a magnum caliber rifle… yet… a 7mm PRC is an awesome choice because it’s got the 7mm impact on target but all the high bc wizardry of new calibers.

I would propose that the real improvement these hornady cartridges make is for new shooters getting into it. For instance someone like me who doesn’t have a magnum caliber rifle… yet… a 7mm PRC is an awesome choice because it’s got the 7mm impact on target but all the high bc wizardry of new calibers.
That’s the very reason my grandkids first big game rifle is likely to be a 6.5cm.

Who cares if these so called "new" Hornady cartridges are necessary? The CM and PRC are fun to shoot, lots of fun, and they are game killing machines in the right hands with proper bullets.

Color me a traditionalist.

The only "new" cartridges I shoot are 308 Win, 556 NATO, and 280AI. And only 1 of those is a hunting gun.

In the "old" category are 6.5x55, 9.3x62, 404J, and 45-70

Some of the old cartridges are necessary but I have trouble finding any.
New cartridges? The same processes occur in all sectors of the consumer market, is it any wonder that cartridges are no exception? In cars or audio/video, this is masked by technological progress, but something similar happens with beer varieties, although it is difficult to come up with something new there. Many people love novelty and diversity for their own sake. Naturally, entrepreneurs use this quality of human nature.
To be honest, I have doubts about the idea of long-range accurate shooting from small calibers, but if this is not a solution to some utilitarian tasks, but a sport, then why not?
But one thing is frustrating: the disappearance of old calibers, being replaced by new ones. This affected me in the 366, for which it is difficult to buy bullets even in Europe, although it is originally a European caliber.
And the presence of almost indistinguishable competitors - I think I won't reveal a secret - a difference of several percent in some parameter does not make the weather.
So, for example: in the Russian-Japanese war, our enemy used two calibers: 8 and 6.5 mm. One doctor conducted a study on the nature of the wounds (alas, there was a lot of material). Conclusion: no difference.

Bob,
You know what the new wiz-bang cartridge back in the day was? The 35 Whelen....... LOL, sorry couldn't help it! :A Stirring:
@Albert GRANT
Yeah I know but Remington didn't legitimate it until 88 and then under loaded so it would fail.
Bob

I would say need, bullet technology directly effects cartridge/chamberdesign.

You are not going to commercial load 7RM with 180+ bullets. Most rifles chambered in 7RM will not support the heavy bullets due to twist rate.

Now let's talk quality of brass, what good brass is their in 7RM? The 7PRC is doing away with the belt and has a more efficient case design. It will get support from better brass, will have better brass life.

Hornady does market well, the reason it works is because they listen to the wants of the people. It is simple and it works, they also support AH cartridges that not many other companies do. Again they listen.

I have said it before I think it needs to be said again. People complain about the technology of today. Well 100 years ago people did the same. If man did not push forward with technology 1. We would not be on this forum. 2. We would still use sharp sticks and struggle to make fire. You have to take the good with the bad.

US ranked bolt-action rifle sales for Q4 2021 and Q1 2022:
1. 6.5 Creedmoor​
2. 22 LR​
3. 6.5 PRC​
4. 30-06​
5. 300 Win Mag​
6. 308 Win​
7. 6.8 Western​
8. 7mm Rem Mag​
9. 7mm-08​
Part of the reason for several of the new cartridges leading the way in bolt action rifle sales during that time period, was that they were the only rifle ammo you could find on the shelves to buy. And many of the rifle brands available “in stock” were chambered for those new cartridges ONLY and IMHO not by accident. You couldn’t find a box of .30-06 ammo to save your life or many standard cartridges chambered in ANY rifles during that time. I don’t care what cartridge anyone chooses to hunt with but I’m not playing the rifle and ammo manufacturers “latest and greatest” and “shortages” games. Went through that in the early 2000s with the WSSM, SAUM and WSM and I didn’t bite then and am not now.

Hornady is better at marketing than anything else.
@Rubberhead
Winchester did a good job of convincing the 243 was actually useful but then had to rewrite their bullshit pie in the sky velocities. Some people still believe it's useful.
Even the manbun is a better hunting cartridge than the 243 will ever be.
Bob

Long Range and Prescision rifle shooting is the new best thing at the moment everyone wnats to shoot a mile and shoot it with a bullet with ridiculous BC.
Once the guys shoot a mile they sort of wind down on their success and tick the box.
But it attracts a lot of yionger shooters so I'm sure it will be here to stay for a while.

Only issue like all previous posts is components and their availibility.

If youre a hunter always have a plain old standard calibre in case you have to hunt and have to find ammo.

I have from newest to oldest calibres in my safe.

204 Ruger - 2004
458 Lott - 1971
375 H&H - 1912
6.5 x 58 Portuguese Mauser -1903
9 x 19 mm Pistol x 2 - 1901
6.5 x 55 Sweed 1894
7 x 57 - 1892

Was kinda neat to search all dates on the calibres.

Interesting that Weatherby, another company that came out with a plethora of different hot cartridges, is lost in these discussions. Upon their introduction, be curious to see how many traditionalists went out and bought these rifles.
257_Wby_ammo.jpg

Hornady created new cartridges because it was the only viable way to put chamber specs on paper that were tight to precision rifle standards, with throats designed for heavy high BC bullets and fast twist barrels.

The chamber specs for a 270 win are gigantic by modern standards. It costs accuracy. The specs on a 6.5 Creed are tight…it shoots well, even in relatively low cost rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.