are ruger still making the no1 is 300 H&H??

Goon

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Nzda
Hunted
Europe New Zealand Australia South Africa Zimbabwe
anyone know if i can get a new no1 in 300 H&H? looked on the Ruger site and they only list the 9.3 and the 450/400. Have been told by a dealer here that Ruger change up there caliber selection depending on demand. How true is this and if i wanted a 300 am i looking used??
thanks

anyone know if i can get a new no1 in 300 H&H? looked on the Ruger site and they only list the 9.3 and the 450/400. Have been told by a dealer here that Ruger change up there caliber selection depending on demand. How true is this and if i wanted a 300 am i looking used??
thanks

Goon,

You can perhaps take this with a grain of salt but according to The Rumor Mill, Ruger has supposedly quit making the two best rifles they ever produced in the history of that otherwise excellent company.

One was the Model-77 Magnum (.375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott).
The other was the Model #1 single shot (formerly produced in may calibers, including a run of them in .300 H&H).

I do not know if this is all true or not but more than one person has mentioned it to me and if that is so, I am very disappointed.

Not sure how many Ruger rifles and handguns I have owned in my life but it has been a pile.

Many of their products are to my liking but none better than the Model-77 magnum and the #1 single shot (sacked my very first caribou with a #1 in .375 H&H - that I should have never sold).

I pray the rumors are not true,
Velo Dog.

Guys they do change up from time to time but they bring them back. I think you are right that it is based on demand. You should still be able to get the #1 in 300 Win Mag .

I can't answer your question. But if this is the case I have a very lightly used Boddington Kudu, which is in .300H&H caliber, that I'm now giving serious consideration to selling. But I'm in the U.S. and not sure how that would work.

Look on Gunbroker and GunAuction, or GunsAmerica or GunsInternational. You will find a NIB .300H&H No. 1 in there somewhere. I sure hope Velo Dogs sources are wrong,:eek: I would hate to see the end of the No. 1!:mad:

Goon,

You can perhaps take this with a grain of salt but according to The Rumor Mill, Ruger has supposedly quit making the two best rifles they ever produced in the history of that otherwise excellent company.

One was the Model-77 Magnum (.375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott).
The other was the Model #1 single shot (formerly produced in may calibers, including a run of them in .300 H&H).

I do not know if this is all true or not but more than one person has mentioned it to me and if that is so, I am very disappointed.

Not sure how many Ruger rifles and handguns I have owned in my life but it has been a pile.

Many of their products are to my liking but none better than the Model-77 magnum and the #1 single shot (sacked my very first caribou with a #1 in .375 H&H - that I should have never sold).

I pray the rumors are not true,
Velo Dog.

I agree 100%. I have a #1H and a RSM, each in .416 Rigby. I will never sell those rifles unless I am starving!

I also really hope it's not true velo. Surely the no1s are to much of a good thing to get rid of??

P Phil. Hmmm well if you wanted to sell I do know a man who can make things happen. Pm me a price if and when you are keen on selling. I'm dreaming of a 300 H&H

I also really hope it's not true velo. Surely the no1s are to much of a good thing to get rid of??

P Phil. Hmmm well if you wanted to sell I do know a man who can make things happen. Pm me a price if and when you are keen on selling. I'm dreaming of a 300 H&H

Goon,

I also hope it is not true ( I actually read the dreadful rumor right here in the AH forum ).

In fact lately, I have felt that Ruger should expand their No1 design to include a "Magnum Size/Africa Model" action for cartridges like the 577 NE, the .600 NE, the 3" 12 gauge rifled and 3.5" 10 gauge rifled, not to mention all the wildcatters out there who stay busy trying to re-invent the wheel.

Likewise, they should produce a "Small Bore" sized action for cartridges like .22 short through about 6.5 Mannlicher rifle calibers, including some classic handgun cartridges like .357 Magnum.

The two above models could have an oval cheek piece stock and 26" barrels as standard on all calibers plus, longer barrels on special order.
But what do I know in this brave new world of plastic stocks, stainless steel, muzzle brakes and electricity powered scopes.

Beers,
Velo Dog.

Velo
A 577 no1 would be awesome!! Or a 450/470. I like your thinking velo and funny thing is, I bet they would sell a fair few of them to!!

But what do I know in this brave new world of plastic stocks, stainless steel, muzzle brakes and electricity powered scopes.

Beers,
Velo Dog.
Well
What you do know velo is how to appreciate a good rifle. Maybe we should ask ruger what the go is?

Goon,
There are a couple of NIB No. 1's on gunbroker right now.

thanks bullthrower, im actually looking at them right now :) just need to make sure i can get them sent over

PM sent

I am pretty sure they stopped production of the 77 magnum shortly before release of the Alaskan and African (muuuuuuch cheaper to produce). The 77 magnum is one of the best values ever built. It is a tad heavy in .375 but the .416 and .458 Lott are perfect. Only thing wrong with it is a hot blue rather than rust blue finish. It is twice the gun the African will ever hope to be. You can still find them on web sites and they are a real value.

Can't believe they would end the No 1. This rumor was going around a couple of years ago as well.

The Ruger website lists all no 1 variations but only one clambering per, the tropical is listed as available only in 450/400 NE. Strange the way upper management sees things. They spend tons of money promoting that American line and cut out the good solid rifles that earned their reputation.
Guess that is why I maintain my pay grade as grunt! Lol

The one rifle I own right now that I would not sell for 1.5X what I paid for it is my Boddington Kudu.

Anything else at a 50% profit would be gone! :)

The Ruger website lists all no 1 variations but only one clambering per, the tropical is listed as available only in 450/400 NE. Strange the way upper management sees things. They spend tons of money promoting that American line and cut out the good solid rifles that earned their reputation.
Guess that is why I maintain my pay grade as grunt! Lol

+1 .

thanks

Contrary to what some are saying, the Ruger #1 is NOT going out of production. Ruger is simply offering each model in a different chambering each year, in much the same way that Remington did with the Model 700 Classic. This move makes a lot of sense for a product that sees limited demand. If you want a #1 in .300 H&H, you can either shop for a used or new old stock rifle, or wait until they chamber for the H&H again. I have seen quite a few NIB #1's for sale in .300 H&H, so they are around and can be had. Getting one in your area might be the tricky part.

As an example of Africa-worthy cartridges being offered, the #1 Medium Sporter is currently being offered in 9.3x62. As stated on their website, a different cartridge lineup will be available in 2015.

Last edited:
Well... It would appear that Ruger #1 production has been trimmed once again. For 2015, they are offering all five models. However, ALL of the #1 production is exclusively for one distributor: Lipsey's. I am glad that the #1 remains in production, but it does look like its long term fate is indeed questionable. I am glad that I went to the trouble to obtain one of the last #1A's made in 7x57. It will always be one of my favorites...

http://www.ruger.com/products/no1DE/models.html

Had breakfast with the Ruger rep last Saturday and he confirms the above
Post by benchracer. Seems the demand has fallen greatly for the no1. Seems as though the biggest demand right now is for AR style rifles .

There will also be a 1:8 twist .223 in stainless and walnut as a 250 gun run.

No .300 Holland this year but the Boddington edition is still around in that caliber as is a Cabelas 50th anniversary model from 2 years ago. You should have no trouble finding one.

I bought a Dakota #10 in .300 Holland instead and those can be had around $4500 if you shop right. (I get it, 3x the price of course but also a nice gun)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg