Any pipe smokers?

I switched back to pipe tobacco tonight. Trying to get rid of the last of my maple flavored blend (smells great, tastes awful).

Trying to figure out something to pickup for the summer. I like balkans, English, and Virginia/Perique blends. Any suggestions? We have hot muggy summers, so I am leaning towards a VaPer blend.

I'm liking your thinking with the Va/Per.

Maybe pure Virginia.

Have you tried Latakia? Not really light for a humid summer.

Perhaps Navy Flake?

This is the only pipe i have left. I love it. Its hand carved from russia. Obviously the carved lion wont win any awards. But i cam just imagine the time spent making it. And that is what i love, the effort took to create it ! It smokes nice.
Also have a silver antique pipe tool i picked up years ago. Its not expensive, but i think its pretty cool ! Lol
20210517_173757.jpg
20210517_174241.jpg

I'm liking your thinking with the Va/Per.

Maybe pure Virginia.

Have you tried Latakia? Not really light for a humid summer.

Perhaps Navy Flake?
Pure VA’s always seem to burn too hot for me.
I do like latakia, but it’s very roasty/smokey for summer.
Navy flakes are always a good one. I had black frigate a while back. That was a good one. Currently I am looking at C&D Kajun Kake.

I enjoy a lot of English blends, anything heavy on latakia, I started on peterson nightcap (technically on a piece of ovey dry burley twist that wasn't pleasant) . I've grown some Virginia, bafra and perique (with varying fermentation success) and blended some myself occasionally. I made my own version of latakia by smoking some bafra and it turned out decent for blending. I've grown and dried some nicotiana rustica as well but as I'm not a heavy smoker and can't measure the nicotine content I'm hesitant to try it.

As far as pipes I just have a few old briars I rotate as well as a couple clays and some home made from cherry. I've been thinking about a nice meerschaum and lately a Jager style has been on my mind, maybe a calabash as Holmes stories partially is what sparked my interest, that and Tolkien's works.

I do enjoy a pipe. Right now my favorites are a pair of Savinellis. As to tobacco I love Frog Morton and still have a few tins of it left, also Escudo , Bengal Slices and Old Dog which is no longer available. I hate when some of my favorite things disappear..

Used to smoke a cob pipe when I lived in Florida. Whatever the tobacconist recommended on that particular trip I'd smoke for a while.

My great grandpa smoked a pipe. When I was a little kid I would ream it when he wasn’t looking. I’m sure he knew it was me but he pretended he didn’t.

@BourbonTrail, where do you buy your pipe tobacco?? I smoke a pipe here and there, and would like to get back into it. You know how much I like smoking cigars, but would like to change it up a bit. Probably cheaper. LOL!!!!

My Dad made me a pipe out of black birch. I havent smoked it in 25 years. I will have to get it out and fire it up again. Used to enjoy Borkum Riff and Captain Black tobaccos not sure it either are still made. Dad and I were sitting on 2 parallel tree trunks him smoking his pipe and me eating an apple. Saw this 6 point about 80 yards downwind and told Dad he said sit still. That little buck walked right up between us close enough we both could have touched him. He sniffed my apple the stuck his nose in Dads pipe and sneezed. If I remmeber Dad was smoking Cavandish tobaco. Shook his head and continued on his way. So much for smoke bothering deer! Never forgot that encounter.

@BourbonTrail, where do you buy your pipe tobacco?? I smoke a pipe here and there, and would like to get back into it. You know how much I like smoking cigars, but would like to change it up a bit. Probably cheaper. LOL!!!!
I know a guy ;).

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Much cheaper! I use Smokingpipes, Cupojoes, and Pipes and cigars online. I used to smoke cigars and still enjoy them but for the price of one good cigar you can smoke great pipe tobacco for a month.

My Dad made me a pipe out of black birch. I havent smoked it in 25 years. I will have to get it out and fire it up again. Used to enjoy Borkum Riff and Captain Black tobaccos not sure it either are still made. Dad and I were sitting on 2 parallel tree trunks him smoking his pipe and me eating an apple. Saw this 6 point about 80 yards downwind and told Dad he said sit still. That little buck walked right up between us close enough we both could have touched him. He sniffed my apple the stuck his nose in Dads pipe and sneezed. If I remmeber Dad was smoking Cavandish tobaco. Shook his head and continued on his way. So much for smoke bothering deer! Never forgot that encounter.
There are old hunters in E. Tx that used to blow smoke on purpose to attract deer.
Don't smoke myself, but used to love the smell of a neighbor's pipe when I was a kid. They do smell great.

Much cheaper! I use Smokingpipes, Cupojoes, and Pipes and cigars online. I used to smoke cigars and still enjoy them but for the price of one good cigar you can smoke great pipe tobacco for a month.
And cigars leave an ashy taste in my mouth for a couple days. If I have my pipe in the evening, the ashyness in my mouth is gone by the time I brush me teeth the following morning.

1695777800206.png

I have 3 churchwardens, hoping to finally pick up a nice briar Savinelli or meerschaum in the not too distant future

my kids got me 3 nice tins of pipe smoke for my birthday last month, have only opened one of them so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg