Any pipe smokers?

I don't really have a favorite pipe.... ive got about a dozen that I use with varying degrees of frequency.... a couple of savanellis and a Viking probably get the most overall use though..

My taste in tobacco changes quite a bit as well.. I like a pretty wide range of blends and brands.. but have been turning to Frog Morton on the Bayou and Nightcap quite a bit lately... also been smoking a good bit of Sam Gawith full Virginia flake recently..

I'm much more a cigar guy than a pipe guy.. but in winter months will grab a pipe a whole lot more frequently...

Sitting out back for 2 hours to smoke through a Churchill or a lancero in February isn't all that pleasing... but hanging with the dogs on the patio for about a 30 minute pipe break isn't too hard to do...

I enjoy a variety of pipes. I've tried all kinds of tobacco from several shops. I'm just a hick because I really like Half and Half of the gas station shelf.

My dad (77) is a pipe smoker. I grew up with the smell of pipe smoke. I do not smoke. He use to have 7 pipes for each day of the week. On Sunday evenings he used to clean all seven of them. He only used "Keiser" pipes. I dont know if this is a world brand. When we hunted pigeons with the pellet guns he asked us to keep the feathers which he used to clean his pipes. He smoked "Jock of the Bushveld" which he mixed with "Holland House aromatic" I do not know if these brand were only available in RSA.

I enjoy a pipe though I don't smoke one regularly. My grandfather did for years so the smell of pipe smoke brings a certain nostalgia with it for me. I inherited all his pipes though I rarely use them myself, asthma, but I very much enjoy sitting around a camp fire at the ranch on a cold night smoking a pipe while watching fire. It is very peaceful to me. I like to go to tobacco shops and browse when I get in the mood to smoke a pipe. I cant say as I really have a favorite brand though and usually pic whatever I like best that day. I have a dozen or so pipes none of which I really know what they are. One is the ole Sherlock Holmes pipe, a few are just garden variety pipes, and the last is an antique pipe from the Boar War with inscribings on it.
Damn now ya'll got me wanting to smoke a pipe.

I have about 70 pipes, I hardly smoke nowadays, but my all time favorite tobacco was Balkan Sobranie, which is not made anymore.

I don't like the taste and smell of cigars so I tried pipe tobacco. I had a lot of problems lighting them so I tried rolling pipe tobacco which turned out to be an even bigger problem.

I'll stick to hookahs

He smoked "Jock of the Bushveld" which he mixed with "Holland House aromatic" I do not know if these brand were only available in RSA.

I think those blends are only in RSA but I'm going to look around and see if I can find them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this old post and thought I'd resurrect it. A college finance professor piqued my interest in smoking pipes, and I started collecting them in my 30s. I currently own about 60 handmade pipes, predominately from two American pipe makers: Mark Tinsky and Paul Bonacquisti. I don't smoke as frequently as I once did, but I never smoked very much. I'd guess I smoke a couple times a month these days, but I do plan to take pipes with me to Africa on each safari. Have done so twice to date.

I smoke a little of everything - but my go-to's seem to be English blends, VA flake tobaccos, and Escudo.

I also have about 300 tins of tobacco and over 10 lbs of the bulk stuff resting in sealed mason jars. I could smoke the rest of my life and never exhaust my supply of tobacco. I can smoke tobacco that's over 20 years old at this point exclusively, since I've been aging the stuff myself - like wine, as long as its kept properly it ages and matures over time.
20190619_195658_resized.jpg
20190619_195711_resized.jpg

Ah, memories. My Dad was a pipe smoker so I sort of grew into it. I smoked pipes after I got out of the military in 1964 until I went back in in 1975. I liked a calabash (ala Sherlock Holmes) in the evening watching TV. My daily was a full bent Dr. Grabow and Half and Half. I liked the bent because it was below my line of sight and I didn't hit it with a hammer or stick of wood at work.

I have a lovely Peterson Churchwarden my wife got me for Christmas last year. Have enjoyed several home blends made by the local smoke shop.

I’ll relight this thread again...

As much as I enjoy cigars, pipe tobacco is my go to. I enjoy Plum Pudding from SPC, and although I have a few cheap and handmade pipes, I really like the Erik Nørding hunter line.

I will have to agree with @BourbonTrail. Plum pudding is great. I also like the Davidoff flake medallions.
I regretfully only have 1 pipe. A hand carved cherrywood lion pipe, from russia.
I had several others. But a sticky fingured stepson and some mary j became an issue. So i throwed them in the trash, but thats another story. Haha

I’ll relight this thread again...

As much as I enjoy cigars, pipe tobacco is my go to. I enjoy Plum Pudding from SPC, and although I have a few cheap and handmade pipes, I really like the Erik Nørding hunter line.

Five of mine are Nording´s about 25/30 years old, great pipes !

my pipes are all no-name churchwardens, all made of pear, I believe. not the best pipes, but I enjoy them. Mostly I smoke Sutliff tobaccos - blue note is very good, so is the buttered rum. but, I may in a busy smoking week fill a bowl as many as 3X, but more often, about once a week. a couple ounces of tobacco will last me months.

but I'm still on the hunt for that famed Longbottom leaf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg