Any Other Interests???

Perhaps not the right place, my apologies? However does anyone take up other interests, collections, the arts, hobbies etc,...

Photos speak volumes. 20 yrs practicing music, etc. .. Used to collect Chainsaws. Sold them all, except for one. Helped finance a double.View attachment 396472View attachment 396473

Yours are significantly cleaner than mine. If set on a carpet like that, you would be able to see their outline until the carpet was replaced...:ROFLMAO: Out of the 10 or 12 in the shop, the Stihls are the ones that get used. Have an old Remington that someone gave me years ago; uses 16:1 mix! Nothing like burning as much oil as gas, lol.

Besides hunting, a fair amount of time gets spent on the lathe. Need to rebuild my carving bench so I can whittle on another stock or two. Make a few bases for taxidermy, like the table my sheep is walking down. Woodcarving is very therapeutic; the world outside sorta disappears for awhile.
Our scuba diving has been on hold since this virus crap got in the way of traveling. Hoping to get back to Bonaire for a few weeks yet this year. Diving is to experience a completely different world! Nothing else like it.
We raise Labs, so I spend a fair amount of time working with some of them.
Reloading, always a good way to spend some non-hunting time, has been taking up more time lately with the addition of some new calibers and doubles. Kinda handy that the shootin' range is all of 100' from the back door.

MVC-180S.JPG
SharpsClose.JPG
20200818_134247.jpg
PintailBurnedEdge.JPG
Desert Elm bowl 2007 (10).JPG
IMGP0311.JPG

I am a chainsaw man also. That’s a nice pile of saws. The husky’s have the Pro Safety dogs too!
I have a 372 (my favorite) and a recently acquired 046 Magnum. Unfortunately I can’t justify buying all of them I want to play with. ☹️
"Pro Safety's, Irvin Ritola" makes great products. 372XP, Arguably the best saw ever made. Unfortunately everything changes & not always for the best. Apparently I was 2nd on a wait list, over a year & 1/2, as Stihl went Fuel Injected.

stihl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good looking saw. I've read about the fuel injected one and watched some of Buckin' Billy Ray's videos on it. I like my saws, been running them since I was 7 years old. My first was a Canadian Precision bow saw my Dad bought in 1947. I've run just about every brand made since then but my alltime favorite was my Stihl 044. Ran that bugger for 20 years until I thought I was going to retire and sold it. Stupidest move I ever made. I'm down to 3 now, an Echo 341, a Husky 455 Rancher and an Echo CS620. That's a good saw. I just put a Stihl lightweight 28" bar on it so it balances much better. I'm no longer a logger but cut my woodpile every year. Probably don't need a pro saw, but they run much better and can handle the 3 and 4 foot diameter stuff I cut.

My daughter rags on me about cutting at my age (81) but after growing up and doing it most of my life it's in the blood. Cutting a woodpile is ingrained. Hell, I'll probably die with a saw in my hands. I think I bleed more sawdust than blood. Great therapy out in the woods with a good saw singing to me.

B143F1ED-7C52-4DD2-A069-E784DCA917B4.jpeg

Oftentimes, one's hobbies can assist others in theirs. My DIL is very good with a pair of knitting needles and a crochet hook. With a new grandson in the house, she will undoubtedly have time to put this new knitting bowl to good use. It holds the yarn, the cutout "6" is where the yarn feeds out...

20210625_164652.jpg

20210625_164800.jpg

Spalted poplar in copper resin

Oftentimes, one's hobbies can assist others in theirs. My DIL is very good with a pair of knitting needles and a crochet hook. With a new grandson in the house, she will undoubtedly have time to put this new knitting bowl to good use. It holds the yarn, the cutout "6" is where the yarn feeds out...

View attachment 412446

View attachment 412447

Spalted poplar in copper resin

Good grief. It could pass for a piece of light colored onyx, not wood.

My hobbies are hunting. Thinking about hunting. Talking about hunting. Dreaming about hunting etc.
when I am not doing those…..
Teaching my kids about the outdoors. Planting crops. Bettering my property with habitat improvement. Saltwater fishing offshore. Riding atvs. training my lab. Running trail cameras. Vacationing.

That's a good looking saw. I've read about the fuel injected one and watched some of Buckin' Billy Ray's videos on it. I like my saws, been running them since I was 7 years old. My first was a Canadian Precision bow saw my Dad bought in 1947. I've run just about every brand made since then but my alltime favorite was my Stihl 044. Ran that bugger for 20 years until I thought I was going to retire and sold it. Stupidest move I ever made. I'm down to 3 now, an Echo 341, a Husky 455 Rancher and an Echo CS620. That's a good saw. I just put a Stihl lightweight 28" bar on it so it balances much better. I'm no longer a logger but cut my woodpile every year. Probably don't need a pro saw, but they run much better and can handle the 3 and 4 foot diameter stuff I cut.

My daughter rags on me about cutting at my age (81) but after growing up and doing it most of my life it's in the blood. Cutting a woodpile is ingrained. Hell, I'll probably die with a saw in my hands. I think I bleed more sawdust than blood. Great therapy out in the woods with a good saw singing to me.
Well said. And I give anyone that put their livelihood in that industry a lot of credit sir. This saw was the last thing I needed, but their not distributing them, and I don't see things getting any better..

Well said. And I give anyone that put their livelihood in that industry a lot of credit sir. This saw was the last thing I needed, but their not distributing them, and I don't see things getting any better..
It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out. Hope we can get some feedback from some pro loggers. They'll wring it out good.

"Pro Safety's, Irvin Ritola" makes great products. 372XP, Arguably the best saw ever made. Unfortunately everything changes & not always for the best. Apparently I was 2nd on a wait list, over a year & 1/2, as Stihl went Fuel Injected.

View attachment 412305

Is that an Ms500i?
I personally am not a logger, but I do drive a skidder for one in the winter. It’s a two man operation, he cuts and I skid. He has never bought a new a saw in his life, all used, and runs an Ms461.
I have a 372xp that I cut and sell 40 to 50 loads of firewood a winter with.
I will say that I sure enjoy working in the timber, and I learn something new everyday

Other Hobbies? well, Vintage italian motorcycles, Exotic italian cars, airplanes (currently have a Kitfox bush plane with floats) Sailing (catalina 22) , adventure travel in remote locations, family. I restored a 110 year old grocery store into a garage.

IMG_E3190.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Other Hobbies? well, Vintage italian motorcycles, Exotic italian cars, airplanes (currently have a Kitfox bush plane with floats) Sailing (catalina 22) , adventure travel in remote locations, family. I restored a 110 year old grocery store into a garage.

View attachment 413540

That’s one mighty fine man cave @Jason Miller !

More like a job and not so much a hobby but since You mentioned chainsaws-here are the boys running stihl 640’s (I think)
EEF6C04A-4102-44C3-90F8-04641C79B127.jpeg
DAC8D217-A0BB-480E-8F40-C3F5FD63924B.jpeg

Urban interface in Taylorsville between the golf course and Jordan river. Not sure their designation 301 or 302 maybe? I was on the water tender out of Magna-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois