Anti Malaria before Zimbabwe in June?

Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana I always take malorone. It’s easy for me to get and doesn’t affect me at all if taken in the morning. 1st time in Zim I took at night along with the standard campfire booze. Won’t make that mistake again.

I’ve made that mistake too, and had to stop the evening booze.

With all due respect for the opinions expressed here, I haven't seen any opinion expressed by anyone who is a medical doctor, let alone one who specializes in tropical diseases.
You missed @Dewald 's post then.
His local hospital probably sees more malaria cases than any other hospital in SA - if not the most, then it's right up there.

I happen to run a medical practice that is also a registered travel clinic in Northern KwaZulu-Natal, as well as the local private hospital’s emergency room. I have seen quite a bit of malaria in the last 14 years up here, as well as worked with more than a few patients who work as ex-pats in Central and West Africa, and obviously travelers going into malaria areas.

First of all, apologies to @375 Ruger Fan for my reply yesterday. There was no need for a snide remark to your comment.

I will put together some information tomorrow about the different drugs and post it here and on the other malaria thread. I’m going to hit the sack now after a long day.

You missed @Dewald 's post then.
His local hospital probably sees more malaria cases than any other hospital in SA - if not the most, then it's right up there.
I did see that post, but apart from the big words (!), I saw no indication that he was a medical professional until the post at 1:59 pm today (just above this). Apologies if I missed something there.

My personal view, and it's nothing more than that, is that I will control the risks I can, and for those which I can't, I will balance them against the goal and make a determination, in all the circumstances (which may include such factors as the feelings of my family), whether the risk is worth undertaking.

Last year I was hunting in Liberia and was advised by my outfitter that the two Danish gentlemen who had been in camp before me had been diagnosed with malaria upon their return to Denmark. We got an update before we left camp to the effect that one had died of malaria. I have a strong preference to keep hunting as many places as I can, for as long as I can. Taking anti-malarials is a small price, in my analysis, for this.

But as I said, we are all entitled to make our own analysis. I simply suggest that that analysis be as informed an analysis as possible.

You only need to get Malaria once and then you have it for life. Malaria kills more people every year than all dangerous animals added together. Think about that a minute.

I always take Malarone, in the morning before tea and a light bite, and the only side effect I’ve ever noticed is never getting Malaria. I also take along doxycycline, but really more for tick bites than mosquitoes.

Additionally, I take Cipro, and a strong prescription painkiller. I got injured in 2018 while trying to run down a poacher in Zambia, sprained knee, cracked ribs & torn rotator cuff. Now, I always take a strong pain killer in case anyone gets injured. I typically leave the doxy & cipro with PH when leaving, as they need those drugs more than we do.

For me, taking Malarone is a No Brainer compared to getting malaria.

The decision to take or not take is a personal choice, but not having a malarial drug such as Malarone along with simple instructions on how to administer is just foolish. If it does not save your life it may well save someone else’s. We know from experience.

If those Danes had started treatment on the plane they both might be alive today.

The decision to take or not take is a personal choice, but not having a malarial drug such as Malarone along with simple instructions on how to administer is just foolish. If it does not save your life it may well save someone else’s. We know from experience.

If those Danes had started treatment on the plane they both might be alive today.
My question would be did they recognize the symptoms or try to put them off as something else until too late? I’d think explaining symptoms as something else initially would be common especially if a person doesn’t want to take the medication to start.

Options for mitigating the risk of contracting Malaria in travellers visiting Malaria endemic areas in Southern Africa.

I will focus on the species of malaria parasites applicable to the traveler coming to Sub Saharan Africa, and more specifically to Southern Africa. Although there are many species of the Plasmodium parasite, some of which only affect humans , and some zoonotic infections, the most common here is Plasmodium falciparum, and in much smaller numbers P. vivax and P. ovale. The latter two do not typically cause disease as severe as P. falciparum, but they do cause reoccurring malaria.

Treatment and prevention of any disease pivots around risk management, and weighing up pros and cons of taking the drugs vs not taking them. Typically the malaria endemic areas in South Africa are still lower risk areas than the tropics, and for people living there it is not practical to be on prophylactic medication permanently. Typically they (and their family physician) know the symptoms of Malaria, and early diagnosis and treatment is sufficient. For a person travelling to a malaria area, prevention is almost always better than cure, especially seeing that onset of symptoms is 7-14 days after exposure, and the person might well be back in his home country where Malaria will almost certainly not be on the top of the differential diagnosis when he/she presents with flulike symptoms to a healthcare provider.

The most proactive steps to take in minimising your risk of contracting malaria and treating it early are:

1. Chemoprophylaxis
2. DEET spray in the evening on exposed limbs, clothing and mozzy net.
3. Barriers - mozzy net, long sleeves at night.
4. Repellent in room where you sleep - Thermocell is the best invention since sliced bread. I typically have one burning when I sit on a bushpig bait in the sugarcane up here in Northern KZN. (By the way, to touch on another thread, it makes a great gift for your PH)
5. Rapid test - these R50 finger prick tests are available at most pharmacies, and are quite accurate to diagnose malaria. Please note, that should the test be negative and you have fevers, headache, rigors, and other symptoms please go and consult your doctor. It is possible that you can still have malaria, and he will use a laboratory test of sorts to diagnose it, as well as look for tick-bite fever and other diseases.
6. Have meds on hand to treat. Coartem is the the first line treatment, and consists of a short 3 day coarse of medication.

Again, here I would like to mention that should you test positive and take the treatment whilst on your safari, it is still advisable to consult a doctor to review your health and look at basic bloods. We are all aware from the hunting books written by the explorers of yesteryear, how many people died from complicated malaria, then referred to as blackwater fever. Malaria can be detrimental to your kidneys and liver and it can develop into fatal cerebral malaria. Even though most cases are successfully treated on a outpatient basis, one must always take the necessary caution in doing so.

Regarding Malaria chemoprophylaxis, I try to prescribe according to what a px tolerated well in the past, if they had used before and then according to side effect profile and drug interactions.

In that sence Malarone and Doxycycline are best tolerated, and Mefloquine has the most contraindications, especially with any neurotropic/ psychotropic drugs on board - this includes sleeping tablets, sedatives, antidepressants and alcohol. It is also a known culprit for myocardial toxicity when potenciated by a whole lot of drugs it interacts with. In my opinion Mefloquine should be reserved for use in pregnancy, as it is the safest drug (Category B) then.

To deviate slightly, Permethrin wash to impregnate clothes with is, heaven knows why, not available in SA, so I usually use the sprays to help repell ticks and pepperticks, but they still often get to you in droves when you walk in the bush. For that reason I’m quite partial to Doxycycline, serving a duel purpose in acting as Malaria prophylaxis and treating rickettsia at the same time if you continue it for 2-4 weeks after exposure. The only time I’m reluctant to give Doxycycline is in pxs with very light type 1 or 2 skin, as sun sensitivity is a common problem there. At times Doxycycline is also used in malaria treatment, but not as a first line therapy.

Malarone again has the advantage that it only needs to be taken 2 days prior to travel and 7 days after travel, and in addition can be used to treat uncomplicated plasmaquin resistant falciparum malaria.

When spending the time and money on an African safari, it is always advised to start a test dose of the prophylaxis well in advance of your travels. I usually suggest one month. This allows for you to see if you experience any side effects, and if the side effects are severe enough, to change to a different form of prophylaxis.

Just as an interesting aside, maybe just a word of caution re Ciprofloxacin and the other fluoroquinolones mentioned in the thread. My wife is a physiotherapist, and she sees quite a lot of patients with achilles and shoulder tendinitis and cruciate ligament injuries after having been on a course of them. Last year I fell on a buffalo hunt and tore my right posterior cruciate ligament 4 weeks after being on Levofloxacin. Likewise a well known PH in Zambia/Zimbabwe did the same a few years ago after losing his balance when he stepped of the Land Cruiser into an elephant track in Zambia. That was also a few weeks after a dose of Levofloxacin. As active outdoorsmen it is something to just keep in mind. In that sence a combination of Doxycycline and Metronidazole is safer cover for a dysentery/ amoeba/ shigella/ salmonella infection, the only downside that you cant enjoy a cold beer or two on the metronidazole.

Hope the bit of info is useful.

I happen to run a medical practice that is also a registered travel clinic in Northern KwaZulu-Natal, as well as the local private hospital’s emergency room. I have seen quite a bit of malaria in the last 14 years up here, as well as worked with more than a few patients who work as ex-pats in Central and West Africa, and obviously travelers going into malaria areas.

First of all, apologies to @375 Ruger Fan for my reply yesterday. There was no need for a snide remark to your comment.

I will put together some information tomorrow about the different drugs and post it here and on the other malaria thread. I’m going to hit the sack now after a long day.
@Dewald, I didn't take your comment as being a snide remark, so no need to apologize. Very good discussion on an important topic.

You ask how you know if you might have Malaria. I know several Zimbabwean who there first indication was when they woke up in the hospital. The first time I knew that I had it is when she found me in a chair that I had been sitting in for a day and a half. She got the zip lock bag out and started our preferred treatment, 4 malarone taken all at once for 3 days.

I was on a tractor on our farm when it hit me. There was no doubt what it was. However, I had seen it many times. It was about a week after I returned home.

Can someone tell me if this Malanil is a brand or trade name for Malarone?

20230524_095011.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I believe the package Malanil is Malarone. I have the same packages, but mine also have a prescription label on the other side that says "Malarone."

@Dewald I had a two dose of that levofloxin and had to stop after 3 days. Stuff messed with me bad!

Options for mitigating the risk of contracting Malaria in travellers visiting Malaria endemic areas in Southern Africa.

I will focus on the species of malaria parasites applicable to the traveler coming to Sub Saharan Africa, and more specifically to Southern Africa. Although there are many species of the Plasmodium parasite, some of which only affect humans , and some zoonotic infections, the most common here is Plasmodium falciparum, and in much smaller numbers P. vivax and P. ovale. The latter two do not typically cause disease as severe as P. falciparum, but they do cause reoccurring malaria.

Treatment and prevention of any disease pivots around risk management, and weighing up pros and cons of taking the drugs vs not taking them. Typically the malaria endemic areas in South Africa are still lower risk areas than the tropics, and for people living there it is not practical to be on prophylactic medication permanently. Typically they (and their family physician) know the symptoms of Malaria, and early diagnosis and treatment is sufficient. For a person travelling to a malaria area, prevention is almost always better than cure, especially seeing that onset of symptoms is 7-14 days after exposure, and the person might well be back in his home country where Malaria will almost certainly not be on the top of the differential diagnosis when he/she presents with flulike symptoms to a healthcare provider.

The most proactive steps to take in minimising your risk of contracting malaria and treating it early are:

1. Chemoprophylaxis
2. DEET spray in the evening on exposed limbs, clothing and mozzy net.
3. Barriers - mozzy net, long sleeves at night.
4. Repellent in room where you sleep - Thermocell is the best invention since sliced bread. I typically have one burning when I sit on a bushpig bait in the sugarcane up here in Northern KZN. (By the way, to touch on another thread, it makes a great gift for your PH)
5. Rapid test - these R50 finger prick tests are available at most pharmacies, and are quite accurate to diagnose malaria. Please note, that should the test be negative and you have fevers, headache, rigors, and other symptoms please go and consult your doctor. It is possible that you can still have malaria, and he will use a laboratory test of sorts to diagnose it, as well as look for tick-bite fever and other diseases.
6. Have meds on hand to treat. Coartem is the the first line treatment, and consists of a short 3 day coarse of medication.

Again, here I would like to mention that should you test positive and take the treatment whilst on your safari, it is still advisable to consult a doctor to review your health and look at basic bloods. We are all aware from the hunting books written by the explorers of yesteryear, how many people died from complicated malaria, then referred to as blackwater fever. Malaria can be detrimental to your kidneys and liver and it can develop into fatal cerebral malaria. Even though most cases are successfully treated on a outpatient basis, one must always take the necessary caution in doing so.

Regarding Malaria chemoprophylaxis, I try to prescribe according to what a px tolerated well in the past, if they had used before and then according to side effect profile and drug interactions.

In that sence Malarone and Doxycycline are best tolerated, and Mefloquine has the most contraindications, especially with any neurotropic/ psychotropic drugs on board - this includes sleeping tablets, sedatives, antidepressants and alcohol. It is also a known culprit for myocardial toxicity when potenciated by a whole lot of drugs it interacts with. In my opinion Mefloquine should be reserved for use in pregnancy, as it is the safest drug (Category B) then.

To deviate slightly, Permethrin wash to impregnate clothes with is, heaven knows why, not available in SA, so I usually use the sprays to help repell ticks and pepperticks, but they still often get to you in droves when you walk in the bush. For that reason I’m quite partial to Doxycycline, serving a duel purpose in acting as Malaria prophylaxis and treating rickettsia at the same time if you continue it for 2-4 weeks after exposure. The only time I’m reluctant to give Doxycycline is in pxs with very light type 1 or 2 skin, as sun sensitivity is a common problem there. At times Doxycycline is also used in malaria treatment, but not as a first line therapy.

Malarone again has the advantage that it only needs to be taken 2 days prior to travel and 7 days after travel, and in addition can be used to treat uncomplicated plasmaquin resistant falciparum malaria.

When spending the time and money on an African safari, it is always advised to start a test dose of the prophylaxis well in advance of your travels. I usually suggest one month. This allows for you to see if you experience any side effects, and if the side effects are severe enough, to change to a different form of prophylaxis.

Just as an interesting aside, maybe just a word of caution re Ciprofloxacin and the other fluoroquinolones mentioned in the thread. My wife is a physiotherapist, and she sees quite a lot of patients with achilles and shoulder tendinitis and cruciate ligament injuries after having been on a course of them. Last year I fell on a buffalo hunt and tore my right posterior cruciate ligament 4 weeks after being on Levofloxacin. Likewise a well known PH in Zambia/Zimbabwe did the same a few years ago after losing his balance when he stepped of the Land Cruiser into an elephant track in Zambia. That was also a few weeks after a dose of Levofloxacin. As active outdoorsmen it is something to just keep in mind. In that sence a combination of Doxycycline and Metronidazole is safer cover for a dysentery/ amoeba/ shigella/ salmonella infection, the only downside that you cant enjoy a cold beer or two on the metronidazole.

Hope the bit of info is useful.
This is the reason to be on AH.com, asking questions. That is a far better response than any Doc prescribing me malaria meds gave.

Thank You Sir/Doc.

MB

This is the reason to be on AH.com, asking questions. That is a far better response than any Doc prescribing me malaria meds gave.

Thank You Sir/Doc.

MB

I agree, that was an excellent amount of information. My experience for travel clinic appointments has not always been very positive. My most recent visit earlier this month, when I brought up the possibility of tick bite fever and that doxy is usually the drug of choice for that, I got the run around and that they had never heard of it and because of that, I should be fine. Then they went on to say they were already prescribing azithromycin for travelers diarrhea and that would cover the tick bite fever side of things since its an antibiotic. I just shook my head and let it go because I was getting nowhere. I have no idea if the 3 pills of azithromycin that they gave me is the required treatment for tick bite fever or if it even works well for it. That part isn't my job, which is why I went to a clinic. Sadly, the girl had a computer sitting right there in front of her but she wouldn't look it up to see what it was.

We bought some Avon Skin so Soft, I had been told that was really good but I will also make sure we have something with Deet in it. Spraying the room and the net is also a really good idea.
Take both and spray ALL clothing with Sawyer spray before you go. Read the directions because it requires more product than you would think.
Ill keep taking Lariam for this years safari because it does not cause me any side effects.

Take both and spray ALL clothing with Sawyer spray before you go. Read the directions because it requires more product than you would think.
Ill keep taking Lariam for this years safari because it does not cause me any side effects.
Roger that! I wondered about the permetherin. We used that in the army, of course we also put flea and tick collars around our ankles too :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: so not everything we did was a good idea! What do y'all recommend for actual bug spray? That Bens 100 looks pretty good or does it not really matter as long as it has a high percentage of Deet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!