Anti Malaria before Zimbabwe in June?

Has anyone ever taken a spray bottle and some concentrated permethrin to treat beds, nets, etc with?

I was thinking about it for my upcoming trip to Zim in June.

My 2C, its better to take meds and not get malaria vs not taking meds and getting malaria. Doxy is the one I always use, least side effects and serves as a mild antibiotic at the same time

Last edited:
If you don’t take the medicine and do get malaria you probably won’t recognize the symptoms until too late and you’ll have a severe case. I don’t know of any PH in Southern Africa that takes anti malaria meds but they also have had before and know what to look for so only down two or three days. I take doxycycline because I have no side effects to it. It supposedly makes you more sensitive to Sun but I’ve never had any issues with some sunscreen and a hat.

Has anyone ever taken a spray bottle and some concentrated permethrin to treat beds, nets, etc with?

I was thinking about it for my upcoming trip to Zim in June.
I’ve never seen a need on any trip I’ve done. Most camps will have a bottle of doom or something similar in your room. When you get back from hunt before eating dinner spray your room, kill the few mosquitoes that made their way in that day, then go to sleep once you’ve ate. I’ve never seen a camp thick with bugs.

Another vote for Doxycycline. I used it for both of my trips. 100mg tablets. Had no issues with using it. One tablet daily. Started 2 days before I left, one every day I was there and continued to take it for 30 days upon my return. Always: Avoid mosquito bites by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using insect repellents on exposed skin and, when necessary, sleeping under a mosquito net. Malaria is no problem until you have malaria.

We bought some Avon Skin so Soft, I had been told that was really good but I will also make sure we have something with Deet in it. Spraying the room and the net is also a really good idea.

Deet is great for the bugs, it is not great for sunglasses, Plastics, and coating. Just something to keep in the back of your mind. Hope they are not as bad as we have them here at home. Last year no rain for 8-9 months. This year lot of rain and they are trying to make up lost ground.

Malarone made me feel very nauseous after a few days of taking it. We were in Zim in August last year, and there very very few mosquitoes. I never saw one in camp that I recall. Even when walking near swampy water, they were never a problem.

Malarone made me feel very nauseous after a few days of taking it. We were in Zim in August last year, and there very very few mosquitoes. I never saw one in camp that I recall. Even when walking near swampy water, they were never a problem.
That’s good to know for this September

With all due respect for the opinions expressed here, I haven't seen any opinion expressed by anyone who is a medical doctor, let alone one who specializes in tropical diseases.

Some have noted that anti-malarials can be hard on the system. That may be true, but then any drug will impact various individuals differently. When I began going to Africa, Lariam was the drug of choice, and it wasn't a great deal of fun, but I took it anyway. Then came Malarone, and at least in my experience, it's no more difficult than taking an Advil a day. But that's just my experience.

I would also be a bit wary of taking the experience of those who live in Africa and in particular in malarial zones year round as providing a good example for those of us who don't live in Africa. The risk/reward analysis is likely very different if you were looking at taking these drugs for a lifetime rather than for a few weeks. Were I to live in Africa, I might well take a different view than that which I currently hold.

In the final analysis, the only opinion which should matter is that of your doctor (so long as they're informed about these things - not all are) or your local travel clinic. If you choose not to follow their advice, that's of course your right, and, I might add, your responsibility.

Every trip I have been on in Africa in a malaria zone I have taken some form of prophylaxis. The locals and P.H.'s seldom do. A mosquito has to bite an infected person then bite you. Most places there are no other people for many miles except camp staff. Very seldom are you out in the evenings when the mosquitoes are active. Yes, I spray the netting and room before going to bed. So far, I have never been bitten in Africa. (mosquito- lol) I still take the precautions because I don't want to be down a couple days of my trip. I even take Ciprio (an intestinal antibiotic) along on all trips. And as @Hank2211 says, make informed choices and live with the results.

Last time I followed my Docs advice on taking a malaria drug I had a Grand Mall seizure? Luckily after ele hunt was over. I will never take another malaria drug, for 34 years I did as I was told in Military, we all joked daily about dreams and crazy side effects from the doc prescribed drugs? Every malaria drug did something to some members, never did we get issued the drug and nobody had any side effects.

Like others state, its your choice, if you trust your doc, maybe follow their advice. Same for the CDC, you still trust them?

I made last safari decisions based on my risk assessment using previous side effects and recommendations from those who were in same area I was going. Also your history of insect problems, they love me and come miles just to eat me, no matter where in world or what bug. Others beside me never had a bug around them.

All recommendations of bug spray, bed nets and awareness are great and one would be smart to follow.

Posting on here is a great way to make an informed decision. Good luck on your safari.

MB

With all due respect for the opinions expressed here, I haven't seen any opinion expressed by anyone who is a medical doctor, let alone one who specializes in tropical diseases.
Exactly. Because, those Docs are professionals and would not offer a medical opinion without examining the patient first.:A Exam:
But, let's go ask your Doc about trophy judging and ignore the PH when you get to Africa. . :E Confused:

Let's see, CDC, the organization that funded the development and weaponization of Covid. Yea, I'm not believing anything they say about anything.

It's helpful for you if you have a companion with you that is a mosquito magnet although not so helpful for them. My wife is that.

I too took some kind of "Anti-Malarial" drug my first time in a malaria area (can't recall its name). Made me sick as can be BUT taking the antibiotics I had everyday reigned in the sickness until I ran out. But then I took my nephews supply and instantly was fine again. As soon as I quit with the anti-malarial the problem went away. That was the first and last time.

As far aș a good mosquito repellent goes, I've been using BullFrog Sunscreen and Insect Repellant for decades.

https://www.amazon.com/Bullfrog-Mos...id=1684812536&sprefix=BullFrog,aps,223&sr=8-2

Works fantastic for me. And I come from a place where the state bird is a mosquito.

AlaskaMosquitoasStateBird.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.00.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-23 at 8.00.40 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 42
I too took some kind of "Anti-Malarial" drug my first time in a malaria area (can't recall its name). Made me sick as can be BUT taking the antibiotics I had everyday reigned in the sickness until I ran out. But then I took my nephews supply and instantly was fine again. As soon as I quit with the anti-malarial the problem went away. That was the first and last time.
Specifics do matter. If this was about dangerous game hunting and a person wrote they used some kind of rifle and some kind of bullets to go after buffalo they’d be criticized for not taking it seriously. Both malaria and dangerous game hunting can be dangerous to your health, but seems many don’t take this seriously. At very least it’s lost hunt time at $500-$2000/day depending on area. The post above didn’t say the seizures were caused by larium which has many documented significant side effects. Most people don’t seem to have any problems with malarone. Almost no one has significant side effects to doxycycline. It’s important to note as well, the mosquito that causes malaria doesn’t buzz so you won’t even know it’s there.

Malaria is the least of your problems.

View attachment 535441
I’m sure some hunters have gotten sick at times in past, but it’s a non-issue for most all hunters. You are away from town and drinking bottled water. Your outfitter doesn’t want you getting sick. He can’t control if a mosquito bites you though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg