Another model 70 Winchester 404 Jeffery build. Welcome input.

K E Johnson

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
{where Rooster Cogburn lost his eye in True Grit}
Media
Member of
Endowment Member NRA DSC
Hunted
United States, Canada
03EF2A6D-0039-432E-B0C5-2486D674E29D.jpeg
I picked up my latest purchase today. A lightly used Winchester Classic in 300 Remington Ultra Mag. I guess I drank the 404 Jeffery Kool Aid as my 416 Rigby built on a Dakota 76 action by Bill Wiseman is the top rifle in the picture. I was looking for a 416 Rem mag as I vividly recall when it made it‘s debut as a new cartridge. I found this used Dakota based rifle and the first time it came up to my shoulder I was in love. The 15 “ LOP seemed perfect to me.
I knew about the 404 Jeffery of course, it is just they are few and far between in my neck of the woods. The dealer I bought my Rigby from had a .500 Jeffery that he offer to let me shoot. Should have excepted.
Long story short, I plan to contact Dennis Olson to convert the 300 RUM Winchester to a 404 Jeffery so that I can compare the two. The Rigby will most likely be my companion on my first trip as it is my first 40 bore love. It is synthetic stocked and I love it. With a serial number African 76 what can you do?
I am leaning towards an Accurate Innovations stock. The problem for me is with a wood stock, it‘s only redeeming quantity is looks. My opinion. Ok, I will give you feel as well if you are so inclined. Synthetic is stronger and impervious to moisture. I also understand the wood advocates. To me “soul” for a tool is earned and not manufactured.
Original stock is 13.75 with about 11/16” pad. A longer pad could make a big difference. Why would they put such a short pad on a Remington Ultra Mag?
I would welcome advise on barreling, but it doesn’t seem there are a lot of bad options there. Definitely want a barrel band. One open rear sight for me. No need for multi leaf express sights. My Rigby barrel is fluted and I love it. May go for a more classic British loo with the Winchester.
I am going to seriously consider any advise Dennis has on this build, but will also give consideration to any advise from this forum.
I am definitely considering some Sunny Hill bottom metal as well. I am entertaining the thought of building this lighter than the Rigby. Kitchen scale says 10 lbs 5.9 oz no scope. It has a recoil reducer in the butt stock. I am also considering a shorter barrel than the 25.5” on the Rigby. I am considering 22”. Weight can always be added later. Balance is a key as well. I already understand that ballistics can be the same between the two. I will probably load the 404 to about 2125 FPS where it started. Can always go up.
What say you?

I am leaning towards an Accurate Innovations stock. The problem for me is with a wood stock, it‘s only redeeming quantity is looks. My opinion. Ok, I will give you feel as well if you are so inclined. Synthetic is stronger and impervious to moisture. I also understand the wood advocates. To me “soul” for a tool is earned and not manufactured.
What say you?

Well, to date I have commissioned four Accurate Innovations stocks. So, I guess I am a fan.

Sounds like you have a good plan! I did the same thing a few years ago. Dennis Olson did a great job on my 300 RUM conversion to 404 Jeff. I went with a Krieger barrel and that is a very long lead item for the entire process.

As far as reloads, many of us have been very happy with the @Von Gruff recommended load of 84 grs of H-4350 and a 400 gr Swift A-Frame bullet, which yields about 2300 fps and excellent accuracy. As always, start out lower and work up.

EF57E576-B88D-434E-B36D-FDEF7EEB985E.jpeg

There’s my 404J by Dennis Olson. From a barreled action and a blank. I’m sure you’ll love it

@K E Johnson, just got my Winchester 404 back from Mr. Olson last week. My first build. He carved and checkered my stock and did fine job. I kept the single sight but kind of wish I had done the classic 3 leaf. Also should have added the Sunnyhill bottom for added ammo. Right now i mounted a Aimpoint on Warne QD mounts and will also set up my Swarovski i6 1-6. Gun cycles nicely but no range time yet. I have most of a box of Swift A Frames I’ll try in the coming days.

8660F545-76A0-4633-BF4A-1632BD714929.jpeg
EA9AEE5C-B4AB-435A-A8BB-3C756C55AB25.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Why a 22" barrel? Both of my 404(s) have 24" barrels and using the aforementioned Von Gruff load get 2300 FPS with less than one MOA. That extra 2 inches on the barrel was no problem in the field. Dennis Olson has built a number of 404(s) for AH members and I haven't heard of any complaints yet. You may be waiting a while but it will be worth it.

I bet if you're dragging that thing through the thorn bushes, you'll be thankful it's 22" and would prefer 20". Lol!
I have a 25 " barrel. Never noticed a difference to a shorter barrel when carrying. It sits behind my head when I have it on the sling-I don't drag my head through thorn bushes so gun doesn't hook up in any thorn bushes either.

Where I notice a difference with short barrels is they feel quicker in the hands. But that makes them wobbly on target. To be honest, never bothered me to have a "long" barrel but it wouldnt bother me to have a shorter barrel either.

Sunny Hill makes good products and their direct customer service was great for me when I needed them.

Other than a 30/30 and some .22s, all the rifles I own have had a 24” or longer barrel. I never had a problem with any of the length with any of them. I have never been in the jess yet either. That is why I am considering going shorter on this rifle.
I normally am all for wringing out every possible FPS possible out of a rifle. I also acknowledge that a few FPS is not going to make a difference.
Appreciate the feedback so far….

Nice looking sticks fellas!

I am on the hunt for a donor RUM action for a 375HH build of sorts.

Let's see some target pix!

It’s an Enfield M17, yes. Duane Wiebe magazine and bottom metal. I know it holds 4 down, although my son said that he was able to close the bolt over 5. I’ve never tried it.

Flipper Dude, we must both drink the same "cool-aid." When I first started looking into getting a 404 Jeffery, getting it built using one of my M-17(s) was a strong consideration. Some folks might think us nuts for building a DG rifle using an action that is over 100 years old.

I have a spare CRF .300 RUM action with 3 position safety sitting in a cupboard. I did consider building a .404J. However, I also have a .416B&M, .450NE, ..458B&M, .500MDM and a .500NE

I decided it would be redundant.

I had a .404J built and I am having a .375 H&H built right now. These are on GMA and Win M70 actions.

My comment is about 'why a wood stock'?

Wood - especially fine walnut - is THE material to use for a custom rifle stock. It can be made to the precise dimensions required for the shooter. When checkered it is not liable to slipping in sweaty hands. In cold weather wood feels warmer than plastic. A good, well seasoned walnut blank is very unlikely to 'move' and effect POI. Wood looks (much) better than plastic.

It is a fact that plastic stocks do not absorb (much) water, but they are subject to the laws of thermal dynamics - they can 'move' with changes in temperature.

D1F351C6-6FAD-421D-BC40-3AFC7C5E71D3.jpeg
E2D880B6-9255-42C1-9EEB-214B2767CD9A.jpeg
84089BE8-7895-4777-9EBF-444314D6583E.jpeg
F3A28A3C-C6B4-445D-BB34-4E4887FDC7A2.jpeg

Update!
I received some pictures from Dennis Olson this evening. He is matching the stock on this build to my Dakota custom rifle I bought used. I left it with him last March to use on his stock duplicator.
It has been a wait, looks like it will be worth it!

I bet if you're dragging that thing through the thorn bushes, you'll be thankful it's 22" and would prefer 20". Lol!
I had 4" cut of of my Kimber Talkeetna, came in damned handy hunting buffalo after being completed!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg