Another 338 Winchester project

1D949EB7-05B9-4A71-B423-67A6CD8D4A0D.jpeg

1” of actual barrel is lost, by cutting at the threads shoulder.

I did not realize what I did to my rifle was so much concern to others. I do not use a suppressor, the threads are of no value to me, the user.
I suppose my 500 S&W with 4” barrel including a 3/4” compensator must give some nightmares. Along with many other shorter barreled big bore revolvers and rifles.

I did not realize what I did to my rifle was so much concern to others. I do not use a suppressor, the threads are of no value to me, the user.
I suppose my 500 S&W with 4” barrel including a 3/4” compensator must give some nightmares. Along with many other shorter barreled big bore revolvers and rifles.
Well, your right. To each their own.

I cut the threads off my Ruger m77 african .416 and it looked 400% better with that big, ugly thread protector gone. Couldn't use the muzzle brake anymore... which I saw as a huge plus anyway. As I scanned down the rifle I saw a beautiful walnut stock, sleek, graceful blued metal lines... and then a carriage bolt on the end :Vomit:. I lopped it off, recrowned it myself and never looked back! Cut away!

I cut the threads off my Ruger m77 african .416 and it looked 400% better with that big, ugly thread protector gone. Couldn't use the muzzle brake anymore... which I saw as a huge plus anyway. As I scanned down the rifle I saw a beautiful walnut stock, sleek, graceful blued metal lines... and then a carriage bolt on the end :Vomit:. I lopped it off, recrowned it myself and never looked back! Cut away!
I bought a used 30-06 Ruger Guide Gun, that someone had had the muzzle brake threads cut off and re-crowned. It saved me the effort of doing so. Definitely agree the looks were improved to my eyes. As did replacing the adjustable lop laminated guide stock with a fiberglass stock with my lop.

Hell yeah ditch that BOSS! Glad to see I’m not the only one with a 338 addiction. Although the RUM is my main 338 these days, the WM fits the Bill for anything on the NA continent that needs killing! I just bought a 338 WM from @Muskox because I needed one more. I ditched the Tupperware stock and put a 4-12 VX3 on it and it is much more pleasing to me now.
2145CC03-FCB0-44A4-9923-D62A26182BE6.jpeg

418AF024-5C0A-422A-9856-7A9F742A5E3E.jpeg

Hell yeah ditch that BOSS! Glad to see I’m not the only one with a 338 addiction. Although the RUM is my main 338 these days, the WM fits the Bill for anything on the NA continent that needs killing! I just bought a 338 WM from @Muskox because I needed one more. I ditched the Tupperware stock and put a 4-12 VX3 on it and it is much more pleasing to me now.
That is a nice looking rifle! That make-over went well.

View attachment 411294
View attachment 411295

It's funny when you mentioned about ditching the Tupperware stock on your rifle, because when I bought my .338 the one stipulation I had was it had to have a synthetic stock!

You see, I have this thing about scratching my rifles - I can't handle it when they get scratched. When I had my .300Wby with nice walnut stock, towards the end I found myself more concerned about scratching my stock than getting a deer - so from then on, synthetic all the way!

I still love the look of a beautiful wood stock but personally for me, with my quirks, I'll only use synthetic from now on...

EDIT! If I ever had the money to build another custom rifle it would definitely have a nice Walnut stock, but I probably wouldn't hunt with it...

Russ

View attachment 411294
View attachment 411295
I appreciate the 338 RUM, regret not buying a used M70 stainless Classic that I saw on the used rack. I also like the 340 WBY.
Hell, I like the 340 WBY enough that I have brass for it. But, no rifle. Another future project.
I agree the 338 Winchester kills what needs killing, in lots of localities. Nothing special, just works. I think of it as a bigger 30-06. I could do all of my particular hunting with a 338 Winchester and not feel underprivileged.

My 70 trigger was something like 6-8 pounds. This took it down to a crisp 3 pounds. Easy install

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.53.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.53.41 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.53.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 9.53.43 PM.png
    987.8 KB · Views: 104
It's funny when you mentioned about ditching the Tupperware stock on your rifle, because when I bought my .338 the one stipulation I had was it had to have a synthetic stock!

You see, I have this thing about scratching my rifles - I can't handle it when they get scratched. When I had my .300Wby with nice walnut stock, towards the end I found myself more concerned about scratching my stock than getting a deer - so from then on, synthetic all the way!

I still love the look of a beautiful wood stock but personally for me, with my quirks, I'll only use synthetic from now on...

EDIT! If I ever had the money to build another custom rifle it would definitely have a nice Walnut stock, but I probably wouldn't hunt with it...

Russ
Hi Russ,
I agree 100%, hate scratching a beautiful piece of wood! I’ve got several that I refer to as “Sunday Guns”, I only take them out on days that the weather is nice and I know nothing is going to happen to them. I’d never dream of taking a beautiful piece of walnut into the Alaska bush much less throw one in the back of a super cub! Stainless/synthetic every time.
Cheers,
Cody

My 70 trigger was something like 6-8 pounds. This took it down to a crisp 3 pounds. Easy install
Yep, but so far, I have had no issue achieving 2.5-3 pounds by adjusting the triggers on several to many classic action ones.

Way to go Idmay (y).

Another big fan of the .338 here.

Regarding the barrel threads, well, cut-em off, leave them on, whatever, you could cut the stock off or drill another hole in the barrel.... it's a .338 for heavens sakes it wont matter, it'll work regardless.

Nice rig, that'll put meat in your freezer (y)

Way to go Idmay (y).

Another big fan of the .338 here.

Regarding the barrel threads, well, cut-em off, leave them on, whatever, you could cut the stock off or drill another hole in the barrel.... it's a .338 for heavens sakes it wont matter, it'll work regardless.

Nice rig, that'll put meat in your freezer (y)
PaulT,
, 100% agreement!!
As a friend commented after him shooting a grizzly with his 338 Winchester, something to the words of —- that 338 puts stuff down!

PaulT,
Have you ever used the 338 Winchester on Buffalo or Scrub Bulls ?
I actually shot my very first buffalo with a .338, close to 30 years ago !!!
When loaded with the 250gn T.S.X and placed carefully it does a credible job.

For Scrub bulls it's actually quite a sensible choice, when it comes to thick skin i would not choose it over a .375 and if I'm backing up another hunter, i prefer a .45 or even better, a .50

A very good freind of mine still guides.
The year before last he had his most successful Camel hunt whilst guiding.

The client was from the U.S and according to my mate, extremely proficient with his rifle, chambered in .338 and went on to shoot 60 odd Camels in one week.

Whilst many may rightly consider the .375 to be the "African Queen", i like to think of the .338 as the Queen of the Tundra (y)

I contacted Geoff McDonald from Woodleigh to ask which projectile is most suitable to use in my .338WM for Sambar.
I was tossing up between the 200gn and the 225gn Woodleigh PP.
Geoff replied saying that definitely use the 225gn for Sambar and that I could use it for buffalo too.
I personally would've thought that something heavier in the .338 would be in order, but that came from the man himself so its food for thought...

Russ

PaulT,
Thanks for the reply. The Buffalo, Scrubs, and Camels are definitely sizable critters.
I certainly like my 375’s and 416’s. But, I have no lack of confidence in my 338 Winchester for whatever I might bump into here in Alaska. It seems to work very well on anything here.

I would agree with “Queen of the Tundra”. With the proper bullet, it works near or far (farther than my capabilities), and on big or small.
Winchester got this one right.

@Idmay375 have you used Kodiak bullets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,