Animal Engraving On a Double Rifle

What style is considered on Krieghoffs Classic? Embossed, chiseled, stamped perhaps?

Many Thanks..

Last edited:
I have always dreat about a double for Lion and Leopard hunting and backup.

I would engrave the paw prints on the rifle

I really liked the RB Rodda prewar chisel style engraving that is found on some Maharaja owned guns. Here are a few examples:

6DEB4320-64BC-4D7C-A663-5A560F3CE9AF.jpg
5194BA6A-617E-464D-8BF1-55AE33C6A31D.jpg
7092A026-C8A8-44EB-980C-D93D9547F7CA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked the RB Rodda prewar chisel style engraving that is found on some Maharaja owned guns. Here are a few examples:

View attachment 459387View attachment 459388View attachment 459389

I also like this type of engraving very much. the stylized animals and plants for some reason really agree with my taste. the 'hemingway' 577 WR has engraving like this. Some people might think it;s cheesy because it's not lifelike, but I think there is an absolute charm in the style.

I also like this type of engraving very much. the stylized animals and plants for some reason really agree with my taste. the 'hemingway' 577 WR has engraving like this. Some people might think it;s cheesy because it's not lifelike, but I think there is an absolute charm in the style.

Totally agree with this. They are definitely not super lifelike but they really speak to me. They have a real historic charm. One has to remember that the engravers that did this work had most likely never seen these animals in person and were working off of sketches or possible crude photographs. Very cool IMHO.

Here is an early pre-WWI Rigby Rising Bite made for a Maharaja that is game scene engraved. While still an early rifle, this engraving is a little more lifelike and refined compared to the Rodda or Westley Richards game scene engraving from the same time. No doubt because it was executed by the incomparable Harry Kell.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.36 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.39 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.41 PM.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.42 PM.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.44 PM.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.12.47 PM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 89
I suggest that you go to the website of the Firearms Engravers Guild of America (aka FEGA). FEGA Link There are samples of work, contact information and exhibition information. Some of these people have done really excellent work for me, so I am comfortable recommending the organization.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.14.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.14.04 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.14.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 4.14.05 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 101

the style you’re discussing is Kipling style. Very much out of jungle book illustrations that were the style of the time. Same engraving can be found on westleys, roddas, Jeffery’s, Hollis, and others.

@matt85 did you ever proceed?

Some ideas…

The "Humping Rabbits" Double from @Shallom and I quote "that's what i have named my double. It comes from the engravings I ordered on it. The engraver for Krieghoff is actually a lady and she did a fine job. It took Krieghoff about 3 months to actually go ahead with my engraving request as they were very unsure about it - but i am very glad they did it. Today i own a very unique and well known gun. Different from all the big-five band-wagon. Will upload a couple of photos... Enjoy - Cheers."

View attachment 55981 View attachment 55982
Unique yes, takes a special person to appreciate that.
No wonder Krieghoff delayed starting this.

I like Cape Buffalo designs and Lions.

I like Warthogs but If it's a DG rifle I would go for DG animals.

I've seen a pic of a running Boar scene on a Blaser R8 , it looks good.

Here some good engravers:
http://www.metiersdart.be/.

Regards,

Frank

Sam Welch of Castle Valley, Utah. Many years experience, FEGA member and past president, did several guns for me. Here's one, a 1915 graded Fox 16 gauge.
Prairie chickens and Fox.jpg
CustomFox action.JPG
CustomFox closeup.JPG

Totally agree with this. They are definitely not super lifelike but they really speak to me. They have a real historic charm. One has to remember that the engravers that did this work had most likely never seen these animals in person and were working off of sketches or possible crude photographs. Very cool IMHO.

the style you’re discussing is Kipling style. Very much out of jungle book illustrations that were the style of the time. Same engraving can be found on westleys, roddas, Jeffery’s, Hollis, and others.
Champlin has a beautiful Jeffery in .450 NE #2 with what looks to me like Kipling style animal engraving. I really like it!

60B9BED3-FA7A-4F7B-946A-F9330FCA42C2.jpeg

A 500 Nitro For Black by Isaac Hollis I once owned. Same Rudyard Kipling style engraving as the Westleys, Jefferies, and others being shown. Some of the designs are better than others. I’ve seen some good ones and some that were cartoonish.

FFB749C5-2CA3-4CAD-8542-C36818DE636E.jpeg

A 500 Nitro For Black by Isaac Hollis I once owned. Same Rudyard Kipling style engraving as the Westleys, Jefferies, and others being shown. Some of the designs are better than others. I’ve seen some good ones and some that were cartoonish.

View attachment 478455
Very cool. The hardest part of choosing my first double is there are so many nice doubles to choose from. To complicate matters further, I learn about Kipling style engraving (Kipling is a childhood hero of mine.)
Got to keep saving my shekels.

There are 2 Towns here in the Upper Peninsula along the rail.
Rudyard & Kipling.
The Superintendent of the DSS&A Railway long ago had the privilege to name 2 Towns in this Forsaken Land. After his favorite Writer.

Go nowhere story, sorry.
Love the lite scroll engraving, however ..
dennis 577.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!