Angola Giant Sable

andriesdeklerk

AH veteran
Joined
Aug 31, 2010
Messages
149
Reaction score
137
Location
South Africa
Deals & offers
3
Media
242
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
Nam, Zim, Mos, Oz and RSA
For those that are interested, the Angola Sable is making a comeback. It is amazing what Angola Gov and private organisation are doing to help these majestic animals. No need for me to babble on this subject for all the details are at the following address for those interested. Wonder what these animals would fetch in $ at SA game auctions!?
Giant Sable « Angola Field Group
 
Andries,

Giant Sable , no doubt is a very handsome animal , great to know they are making a positive comeback . Thanks for sharing .......

Monish
 
Thanks for the information Andries.
 
Thanks a lot for the newsletter, I sure would like more updates on the Giant Sable! I hope SCI gets involved and makes sure this noble antelope prospers. It would be a crying shame to lose the genes of that great antelope!
 
For those who haven’t read the article yet: The breeding bull they are using sports 54inch horns!
 
The "largest" population found in central Angola is in the Luando N.R. with a small population in the Cangandala N.P. At most there are 100 animals in both protected areas. But the population in CNP is not viable anymore. Most animals have been caught and a breeding population has been established there. A male could not even be found and one had to be brought in from the Luando N.P. It will take a long time to built up a viable population.

Apparently the largest giant sable ever recorded had 65" horns and was shot by Count Yebas in 1949.
 
The "largest" population found in central Angola is in the Luando N.R. with a small population in the Cangandala N.P. At most there are 100 animals in both protected areas. But the population in CNP is not viable anymore. Most animals have been caught and a breeding population has been established there. A male could not even be found and one had to be brought in from the Luando N.P. It will take a long time to built up a viable population.

Apparently the largest giant sable ever recorded had 65" horns and was shot by Count Yebas in 1949.

watermark.php
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for the newsletter, I sure would like more updates on the Giant Sable! I hope SCI gets involved and makes sure this noble antelope prospers. It would be a crying shame to lose the genes of that great antelope!

I took a look at the SCI website, but could not find any involvement in or info on the giant sable program. Am I looking in the wrong place or has SCI not gotten involved in this project? (Not a complaint - I know that SCI has a finite amount of funds.)

- browningbbr
 
I don't think it has been on the table yet...for some reason....This is the kind of cause I believe SCI should be a front runner for...just my two cents...I think now that I have some time...I'm going to make some phone calls to see...why not???
 
Anyone interested in the Giant Sable will enjoy the following reads.

Here is an excerpt from the first story:
Hunting Organizations like the members of venerable Shikar Club, the pro-active and agile Dallas Safari Club and the now dissolved SCI African Chapter were the ones who put their real money where the hunters’ mouths often are: Towards the conservation of a unique and critically endangered species! And just as a footnote - van Hoven’s 2002 expedition was also funded by with US$20,000 by the SCI Italian Chapter and R10,000 by the SCI African Chapter.


• Our Search for the Giant Sable 1997 to 2004

• The Royal Sable From 2002 To The Present

• Milestones in the Efforts to Save the Giant Sable

• Giant Sable Report

• Sable Antelope Subspecies
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,574,002
Members
169,880
Latest member
LunaXофициальныйсайт
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top