And the count down begins

twilly24

AH senior member
Reaction score
Today marks the beginning of a long year. 365 days from today my wife and I will be heading to South Africa for our first safari. It's taken about 6 weeks to finish up the details. After I couldn't make up my mind on where to go or what to hunt. In the end it's a pains game hunt in the eastern cape. After passing on some great deals on lion and buffalo. To me it's my perfect first trip over. Here's my list.
Kudu
Nyala
Bushbuck
Gemsbuck
Springbuck
Blue Wildebeest
Blesbuck
Zebra
Impala

Is it June 2017 yet??

Congrats! Exciting times, now the wait will be difficult but also make it sweet when you get there!

It will be worth the wait. That is a great list and will make for one fun hunt. Looking forward to seeing some pictures after you get back.

You are a better man than me- I planned on going mid 2017 but will be there this Aug instead. No way I could hold out that long once I started digging into it and talking to people!

You are going after a very good list! Have fun!

Today marks the beginning of a long year. 365 days from today my wife and I will be heading to South Africa for our first safari. It's taken about 6 weeks to finish up the details. After I couldn't make up my mind on where to go or what to hunt. In the end it's a pains game hunt in the eastern cape. After passing on some great deals on lion and buffalo. To me it's my perfect first trip over. Here's my list.
Kudu
Nyala
Bushbuck
Gemsbuck
Springbuck
Blue Wildebeest
Blesbuck
Zebra
Impala

Is it June 2017 yet??

Enjoy the planning and the anticipation, it's part of the fun! Looking forward to your hunt report.

Great hit list. Enjoy the planning.

There is only one first safari. Enjoy the planning, it truly is half the fun.

Great list. Be willing to adjust it, either now or when there. You just never know. ... dang Buffalo ended up getting me started on the little guys. :A Rock:

That year will pass more quickly than you think too.

I booked about a year ago and now I am only a week or so out! It goes very quickly although it may not seem it at times. Have fun preparing and planning!

I am returning in May 2017 and cannot wait.
You might want to add a Waterbuck to that list.........and maybe a Black Wildebeest

That's a great list for a first safari!

Great first time list for Africa....enjoy every moment of it.

Congrats.... You will be bit by the African bug........

Man that is a good list! You should gets lots of shooting in. The year will go by quick!

Good luck I will be there in August 2017 one thing I would do again for my first trip is more research on the animals only found in that area or have the best trophy size in it. As you may decide in the future to hunt somewhere else that does not have what you want and the first trip did. I'm going to the east cape just for those little guys like Cape grysbuck, blue duiker, oribi ect. You may not think you want to hunt them now but after a few trips they will grow on you and you may wish you had when you had the chance.

You'll be back for the second hunt soon enough to finish off the Spiral slam with the Eland! :)

It will be here sooner than you can imagine.

Good luck, take lots of notes and pictures and write us a report so we can be with you all the while!

I leave in 50 days on my first safari, the year does by quickly so start getting ready now and enjoy ever moment

Art you and your dad along with your brother are in the glide path now!
Thirty days out as of today for me!

Art, lots of luck to you sir! My first safari was Zimbabwe - 1995, I still remember it vividly. It may be your first, but it won't be your last!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg