Ammunition Holder for Buffalo Hunt Options

I have looked at Boyt but canno find one with shell loops. Please share exact name. Thanks!
@Rare Breed even on sale for less than $60 right now.

Edit: size and hand dependent for what's in stock...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.35.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.35.54 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.35.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.35.55 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
I have an ELS open belt pouch, the one that takes nine rounds. But i have an aversion to stuff around my waist, it somehow gets in the way or is uncomfortable, especially if you need to crawl. The exception is my small sheath knife that lives on the right between the belt hoops so it doesn't work its way around. I confess I used the ELS pouch for my buffalo hunt with the four rounds placed only every second slot so they were easy to pluck out. But from now on I will be using the cartridge slots on my hunting shirts, easy to get at, easy to keep an eye on, you can crawl, no negatives. Never liked the idea of butt pouches, spoils the clean uncluttered rifle lines and certainly no easier to access than the shirt slots. Enjoy your buffalo hunt!View attachment 362040
I bought one Westley Richards shirt with shell loops, a Boyt Jacket with 8 shell loops and a Boyt vest with 8 shell loops which should take good care of me

@Rare Breed even on sale for less than $60 right now.

Edit: size and hand dependent for what's in stock...
Thanks!!! Just bought!

I bought one Westley Richards shirt with shell loops, a Boyt Jacket with 8 shell loops and a Boyt vest with 8 shell loops which should take good care of me
That Boyt shirt looks very good. This is the Westley Richards jacket, truly beautiful item with loops also, but hellish expensive. I took mine on out sable hunt and a mouse chewed the shoulder. Fortunately an expert tailor here fixed it invisibly.

3BFCCBD4-E677-4603-A546-9D3CD7C500AF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
10 rounds? Do you have rounds on each side of the stock? If so how is that to shoot?

I've utilized those butt stock cartridge holders before and was going to ask if anyone else did or if there was a reason to avoid it for DG. To me though it seems like a good way to keep from having to wear something around your waste if that isn't your thing.
every side ? how do you come up with this idea ?
Slow reload ?
And fast for what ?
There are 5-6 cartridges in my gun !!
I know blind where the solids and where the softs sit at the stock.
With a double rifle you have the reserves anyway first between your fingers when it becomes serious.
I love the stock holders,when I reach for my gun, everything I need for a long stalk is only one handle.

Last edited:
Reactions: cls
Slow reload ?
And fast for what ?
With a double rifle you have the reserves anyway first between your fingers when it becomes serious.
I love the stock holders,when I reach for my gun, everything I need for a long stalk is only one handle.

I’ve used them. They work fine but my preference is an ammo slide on a belt with a knife, water and pouch.

That Boyt shirt looks very good. This is the Westley Richards jacket, truly beautiful item with loops also, but hellish expensive. I took mine on out sable hunt and a mouse chewed the shoulder. Fortunately an expert tailor here fixed it invisibly.

View attachment 385602
I don't believe I have the nerve to walk around Africa in a belted Safari jacket. Might as well get a zebra hatband for my Rand hat as well. I mean seriously, could anything scream "Newbie" louder?!? :unsure: Back in my misspent youth when I was guiding duck hunters, we called those lads with the special look "Sports." Then again, you Rhodesians do speak that lovely accented English .......... ;)

I have a couple of the WR shirts. They are very well made indeed and I use them here in the States a lot. But I find them very heavy for hunting much of Africa outside the very South in July August. In Mozambique or the Caprivi, a very light cotton has been the way to go for me. I would have thought the same would have been true in Zim? Of course, I realize I am asking a man who wears a pith helmet. :cool:

I’ve used them. They work fine but my preference is an ammo slide on a belt with a knife, water and pouch.
everything has its ad- and disadvantages
What Red Leg has against pith helmets ?
I do not understand.
Important men wore it in Africa
:cool:Here is the metal version in case the Matabele dig up the hatchet again :)
Tropenhelm.jpg

I don't believe I have the nerve to walk around Africa in a belted Safari jacket. Might as well get a zebra hatband for my Rand hat as well. I mean seriously, could anything scream "Newbie" louder?!? :unsure: Back in my misspent youth when I was guiding duck hunters, we called those lads with the special look "Sports." Then again, you Rhodesians do speak that lovely accented English .......... ;)

I have a couple of the WR shirts. They are very well made indeed and I use them here in the States a lot. But I find them very heavy for hunting much of Africa outside the very South in July August. In Mozambique or the Caprivi, a very light cotton has been the way to go for me. I would have thought the same would have been true in Zim? Of course, I realize I am asking a man who wears a pith helmet. :cool:
Agreed Red Leg, one doesnt flaunt a fine jacket like that around the unappreciative, but on our period hunts around the evening fire it is just right. Besides, I wear what I like, not what others like .
Actually it gets really cold here in Zim in winter, read the hunting months, especially returning to camp in the evenings on the open Land Rovers.

Perhaps we could help Red Leg out with some proper safari attire at our next AH dinner. I sense a photo op coming on!

everything has its ad- and disadvantages
What Red Leg has against pith helmets ?
I do not understand.
Important men wore it in Africa
:cool:Here is the metal version in case the Matabele dig up the hatchet again :)
View attachment 385741
Another fellow with one of those accents .......... :rolleyes:

If I am wearing a pith helmet, this is the man I am choosing to emulate.

teddy-roosevelt-034.jpg

Slow reload ?
And fast for what ?

You said you carry 10 rounds ON your stock. I figured you probably couldn't fit 10 rounds into a butt stock cartridge holder so maybe you had one on EACH side. Like 5 on each side but maybe you can or I misunderstood, hence my question. I never asked about slow reload or fast for anything. Merely how do you hold 10 rounds ON your stock.

Sorry I asked.

Agreed Red Leg, one doesnt flaunt a fine jacket like that around the unappreciative, but on our period hunts around the evening fire it is just right. Besides, I wear what I like, not what others like .
Actually it gets really cold here in Zim in winter, read the hunting months, especially returning to camp in the evenings on the open Land Rovers.
Polar Fleece! - greatest invention of the 20th century - just ahead of nuclear power and the thermos bottle. :A Way To Go:

Does a "period hunt" in that jacket require an accompanying valet as well? Merely curious. :A Outta:

They do make them with ten loops on one side. I’ve got an elastic one
With 10 loops on a savage 112V in .22-250. Comes in handy when laying out in a prairie dog town.

You said you carry 10 rounds ON your stock. I figured you probably couldn't fit 10 rounds into a butt stock cartridge holder so maybe you had one on EACH side. Like 5 on each side but maybe you can or I misunderstood, hence my question. I never asked about slow reload or fast for anything. Merely how do you hold 10 rounds ON your stock.

Sorry I asked.
No problem. Maybe I translate it wrong.
I ask for your indulgence.
English is a foreign language for me.
This holder has 10 loops for a maximum of 10 cartridges,but only on one side.
The other side needs your cheek to shoot.

Polar Fleece! - greatest invention of the 20th century - just ahead of nuclear power and the thermos bottle. :A Way To Go:

Does a "period hunt" in that jacket require an accompanying valet as well? Merely curious. :A Outta:
Did you not have a bat man in the army?!
Seriously, no. There is a camp hand and our own Mr Woods is the cook. I perform bar duties, Gary looks after the vehicles and Barney in in charge of producing copious amounts of hot water. But now you mention it.....

Did you not have a bat man in the army?!
Seriously, no. There is a camp hand and our own Mr Woods is the cook. I perform bar duties, Gary looks after the vehicles and Barney in in charge of producing copious amounts of hot water. But now you mention it.....
Definitely not! The American Army does not do that - though I did have Aide de Camps as a General Officer. I presume any of them would have shot me had I asked them to dress me. :unsure:

All in good fun my friend. I admire anyone who wears a pith helmet by choice. The key is to get enough use into that jacket (the mouse was a good idea) to look like you are wearing it rather than the other way around.

Do you know how to make a French 75? One of the great, but not all that well known, light drinks in the world and a good one upon which to grade bartenders. Number of stories about its creation, but I prefer the one where it was a product of the Lost Generation in Paris between the wars. Named for the quick firing French artillery piece of the Great War, it was a light drink that hit hard. ;)

Definitely not! The American Army does not do that - though I did have Aide de Camps as a General Officer. I presume any of them would have shot me had I asked them to dress me. :unsure:

All in good fun my friend. I admire anyone who wears a pith helmet by choice. The key is to get enough use into that jacket (the mouse was a good idea) to look like you are wearing it rather than the other way around.

Do you know how to make a French 75? One of the great, but not all that well known, light drinks in the world and a good one upon which to grade bartenders. Number of stories about its creation, but I prefer the one where it was a product of the Lost Generation in Paris between the wars. Named for the quick firing French artillery piece of the Great War, it was a light drink that hit hard. ;)
No, please would you send me the recipe. Another beverage of which I had no clue was a Long Island Tea. I was introduced to that by a local in Kuala Lumpur, I had two thinking it was herbal tea - mistake.

No, please would you send me the recipe. Another beverage of which I had no clue was a Long Island Tea. I was introduced to that by a local in Kuala Lumpur, I had two thinking it was herbal tea - mistake.
Serve it neat in a stemmed cocktail glass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,